Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
The consquences of unregulated firearms ownership (Read 19362 times)
Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Re: The consquences of unregulated firearms ownership
Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:26am

Dnarever wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:27pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Nov 26th, 2016 at 2:10pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 26th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Parents charged after toddler shot by four-year-old cousin in Philadelphia, US and the Baron, Panther, all the other gun nuts tell us there is nothing to fear from unregulated firearms ownership!   Roll Eyes

Pennsylvania does not have unregulated firearms ownership. Bullsh1t is not a good start for an opening posts.

But pretty much mandatory for an anti- gun hysteric.  Smiley Smiley

Neatly sidestepping the mindset that allows a 4 year old to shoot a toddler though ?

Leaving a firearm out so a toddler could have access is just plain stupid....we all surely agree.

But in the end we can't legislate stupid out of the beings called parents, making them the models of proper supervision.

Life happens.....intentionally or not, regardless of regulations, or none.

The toddler that walks along the fallen tree on the banks of the Murray River, & despite her mothers frantic cries, she slips & falls in.......

The toddler waiting for his father to walk up the street as he does every day when he comes home from work, runs to cuddle him not looking at all when running so joyously he crosses that busy intersection against the red signal.......

The toddler on the train platform, holding her mother's hand waiting for the train, leans over the edge ever so slightly as her little hand slips.......

The toddler, scissors in hand, running to show Nana the pretty picture he just cut out for her, trips over that little toy......

I could go on with dozens & dozens more, but you've hopefully already gotten the picture.

The world is truly a dangerous place......with or without guns, & against our best crafted wishes or regulations, life will happen irregardless.

In America, it's all contained within the broad spectrum of Liberty.....life will happen.....happy or sad.....good or bad.

Freedom holds no promises of happiness, just the simple pursuit of ones happiness.

Life's story will happen, happily or tragically.......but, life will surely go on irregardless of
regulations, best wishes, or fondest desires.   Wink

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:38am by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:30am

Good on America, we here in Oz live in reality.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:41am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:30am:
Good on America, we here in Oz live in reality.

And in line with the original post, in America they live with a sometimes starker version of reality....I'm sure the parent, or supervisory adult who left that firearm out, is living the most stark of all realities.

Anyone touched by that reality will not soon follow that stupid example when dealing with their firearms.

But, that said....life goes on............irregardless Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 9:42pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #19 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:00am

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 9:42pm:

... Great belly grabber Bwian......Glad he wasn't trained, otherwise the morgue would have had a busy day.........I doubt it was an assault rifle, probably just a common, off the shelf hunting rifle like the AR-15........... So life goes on, & this trivial little matter won't cause it to skip a beat. ...

BTW.....'allowed' is the wrong word.....firearms aren't 'allowed' in America......Firearms are an American Right.....not 'granted' or 'permitted' which both assume a governmental 'authorization' was somehow required in advance of ownership, but a Right simply acknowledged by the Peoples Second Amendment to their Constitution, as such a Right bestowed upon them by a 'Higher Authority' than government.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:07am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:32am

Just one (1) of the estimated 900,000+ occurrences per year of a person exercising their Right to Self-Defense using a firearm in America, most of which don't end with a fatality, nor are reported by the media.

Louisville Mom Blasts Home Invader Into Oblivion With One Shot

Source:             Quote:
Two home invaders targeted the home of a Louisville (KY) woman who learned how to shoot a year and a half ago, and it was the last mistake one of them will ever make.

It happened shortly after 3:30 p.m. at a home in the 3800 block of Northumberland Drive near Westport Road in the Worthington Hills area.

LMPD says two men tried to break into a home at that location when a female homeowner shot and killed one of them.

The man who died has been identified as 23-year-old Eric Gathwright. He died at 3:30 p.m. on the scene from a gunshot wound.

He was found by police just outside the house, while the other was arrested shortly thereafter.

The son of the homeowner described what happened between his mother and the attempted burglars.

“They busted the back window out, and that’s when she stepped out of the hallway and let one shot go and hit somebody, and obviously she got him,” said Bruce Haddix, whose mother shot the man.

The other suspect, 23-year-old Aaron McDuffie, has been charged with burglary and with Gathwright’s death under Kentucky’s implementation of the felony murder rule.

Haddix said that his mother is shaken up by the incident, which is entirely understandable. Taking a life is never easy, even when it is more than likely justified as it appears to be in this instance.

It’s a good thing that Haddix’s mother heeded his advice a year and a half ago, learned how to use a gun, and then purchased one. If she hadn’t, we may have been reading about another kind of felony crime instead.

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:06pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:21pm

Fact Sheet (link)
: Guns Save Lives

A.
Guns save more lives than they take; prevent more injuries than they inflict

B.
Concealed carry laws help reduce crime

C.
Criminals avoid armed citizens

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:28pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:38pm

Panther wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:00am:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 9:42pm:

https://i.imgsafe.org/f487d37.gif Great belly grabber Bwian......Glad he wasn't trained, otherwise the morgue would have had a busy day.........I doubt it was an assault rifle, probably just a common, off the shelf hunting rifle like the AR-15........... So life goes on, & this trivial little matter won't cause it to skip a beat. https://i.imgsafe.org/f487d37.gif

BTW.....'allowed' is the wrong word.....firearms aren't 'allowed' in America......Firearms are an American Right.....not 'granted' or 'permitted' which both assume a governmental 'authorization' was somehow required in advance of ownership, but a Right simply acknowledged by the Peoples Second Amendment to their Constitution, as such a Right bestowed upon them by a 'Higher Authority' than government.

Firearms may be a right but as to the type that a citizen is allowed, that is a different question.  I note that even the NRA accepts the regulation of fully-automatic firearms.  Therefore, it should be willing to accept the regulation of semi-automatic firearms.  Which is exactly the situation downunder.  Interesting that the NRA criticises our government for that regulation but it accepts it's own government's regulations...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #23 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:43pm

Panther wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:21pm:

Fact Sheet (link)

A.

B.

C.

https://i1.wp.com/www.infiniteunknown.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/GUN-CONTROL...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-L5aC6UCFTcw/USv-GO310yI/AAAAAAAACXw/Pe_6VLb2MII/s1600/...

My, what an interesting graphic.  Pity it is completely wrong about the dates for Pol Pot.   In 1956 IIRC he was a school teacher...   Roll Eyes

Mao also wasn't the leader of China until 1949, so I'm unsure which citizens he supposedly took their firearms away from...   Roll Eyes

In all cases of course, the citizens weren't defenceless, as their nations were awash with firearms, as they were involved either in civil or international wars.   History has never been a strong point for the NRA, has it?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

The consequences of unregulated governments
Reply #24 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:38am

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:43pm:

Fact Sheet (link)

A.

B.

C.

https://i1.wp.com/www.infiniteunknown.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/GUN-CONTROL...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-L5aC6UCFTcw/USv-GO310yI/AAAAAAAACXw/Pe_6VLb2MII/s1600/...

My, what an interesting graphic.  Pity it is completely wrong about the dates for Pol Pot.   In 1956 IIRC he was a school teacher...   Roll Eyes

Mao also wasn't the leader of China until 1949, so I'm unsure which citizens he supposedly took their firearms away from...   Roll Eyes

In all cases of course, the citizens weren't defenceless, as their nations were awash with firearms, as they were involved either in civil or international wars.   History has never been a strong point for the NRA, has it?   Roll Eyes

Awwwww paw, paw Bwian.....he's so offended by a year here or a year there.....the FACT is that these dictators did just what the graphic noted.......when their own people obediently, or not, turned over, willingly or not, their firearms as their government demanded/ordered, these dictators did slaughter millions upon millions of their own unarmed citizens.....peasants up against trained soldiers......how offended were you of that FACT, or would you just prefer to sidestep that FACTUAL message because it doesn't fit in with your personal gun less  'perfect world'  narrative?

How offended were you that after being nationally disarmed, these dictators slaughtered their own defenseless citizens??? Which offended you most.....the inaccuracy of the date provided, or the mass destruction of unarmed citizens.....or will you continue your lame argument that they were all still "awash with firearms"  & the millions upon millions of brutally murdered human beings, weren't defenseless.....they were quite capable of fighting back because they were "awash with firearms"???

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:54am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:50am

Fact Sheet (link)

A.

B.

C.

Oh look thread Godwined.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #26 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:51am

Speaking to the thread title of;

"The consequences of unregulated governments"

In a democracy, it is the people, who are always assumed to be the last 'check' against the excesses of a government.

But in all modern democracies,         we always find that those charged with governing on behalf of the people [i.e. with the authority that derives from the people],           are often the very group who seek to neuter every real power [to action] that the people still retain.

Dictionary
neuter = =
1 of or denoting a gender of nouns typically contrasting with masculine and feminine or common.
2 (of an animal) lacking developed sexual organs; castrated or spayed.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: The consequences of unregulated governments
Reply #27 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:27pm

Panther wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:38am:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:43pm:

Fact Sheet (link)

A.

B.

C.

Awwwww paw, paw Bwian.....he's so offended by a year here or a year there.....the FACT is that these dictators did just what the graphic noted.......when their own people obediently, or not, turned over, willingly or not, their firearms as their government demanded/ordered, these dictators did slaughter millions upon millions of their own unarmed citizens.....peasants up against trained soldiers......how offended were you of that FACT, or would you just prefer to sidestep that FACTUAL message because it doesn't fit in with your personal gun less  'perfect world'  narrative?

I think a difference of more than a dozen or two dozen years between when these dictators gained power and when the NRA claims they gained power is rather significant, don't you?  I know I get a little offended when such ignorance is displayed as "knowledge" by the ignorant who could, with a flick of a few mouse clicks consult the internet and discover the truth, just so easily.    Roll Eyes

I also get a little offended when the situations facing the peoples that they ruled over is so easily dismissed, as you have attempted to do.  In nearly all those cases (Nazi Germany being the initial exception) those societies were in the midst of civil and international wars, their societies were awash with weaponry ranging up and including in some cases heavy artilllery - stuff which would make you wet your pants.   They were not "defenceless".  What they lacked was organisation.  Individuals with firearms could kill a few of those oh, so heartless fiends whom were supposedly "oppressing" them but not all of them.   Funny how that is never considered by the NRA, now isn't it?   Roll Eyes

Yes, those dictators killed millions, both of their own and other nationalities.  They shouldn't have done that but it appears, to them and the NRA, "power comes from the barrel of a gun," to misquote Mao.   In reality, what comes from the barrel of a gun is bullets.  Power is something people confer on their governments, through acquiescence or voting.   Roll Eyes

Quote:
How offended were you that after being nationally disarmed, these dictators slaughtered their own defenseless citizens??? Which offended you most.....the inaccuracy of the date provided, or the mass destruction of unarmed citizens.....or will you continue your lame argument that they were all still "awash with firearms"  & the millions upon millions of brutally murdered human beings, weren't defenseless.....they were quite capable of fighting back because they were "awash with firearms"???

I wasn't disarmed in the slightest, as I have never owned a firearm.   As I was an ex-member of the Australian Army as a youth, I had gained all I need from being in possession of weapons up to and including 81mm Mortars.   I had fired weapons you only dream about, I expect.  As all Australians still retain the privilege to purchase a firearm, I don't think Australian society had been "disarmed" in the slightest.  Indeed, we are informed there are more firearms in private possession than there were before Port Arthur.

Of course, I expect you write off the victims of such events as Port Arthur, Hoddle Street and so on as merely the bloody of patriots which was used to water the tree of liberty, right?  Innocents murdered by gun owners who should never have been trusted with the firearms they were.  How you ignore them...   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:32pm by Brian Ross »  

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

The enjoyment of unregulated firearms ownership
Reply #28 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 9:27am

Home Defense - Mastering Bushes vs. Bushmasters

Source:      
NRA-ILA
     Quote:
A while back, we wrote about an inane NBC Today Show segment that recommended homeowners rely on car keys and wasp spray to defend themselves against burglars and other home invaders. A former New York City detective counseled viewers to “buy a can of wasp hornet spray in the hardware store or the supermarket [and] keep it by your bedside or the floor… An intruder hit with the spray will be temporarily blinded.” If the spray didn’t do the trick, he advised homeowners to treat the criminal “like royalty” and cooperate fully.

Apart from the likelihood that using any registered pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling would violate federal law, these products are not formulated for use as a human repellant and won’t work like mace or pepper spray.

Another curious strategy against home invasions and burglaries recently surfaced in England, where private possession of handguns is largely banned, other firearms are prohibited or tightly controlled, and where the right of self-defense has been progressively eroded. According to the Colchester Borough Council, “Defensive planting helps combat crime.” The Council has “joined forces with Essex Police and Poplar Nurseries to launch a Defensive Planting Initiative,” to advise residents and businesses on the “the best shrubs and other living barriers” to plant to deter access to a property and thereby reduce burglaries and other crimes.

The Chair of the Safer Colchester Partnership, Pam Donnelly, points out that “living barriers can be one of the best and most attractive ways of securing your home and property against crime. Although it can take some time for plants to grow, the end result really does justify the effort and should deter even the most determined burglar.” However, even this ultra-passive strategy comes with tendrils attached: local authority planning permission, if required, must be obtained, and the police advise the barriers should not leave the property owner “open to civil proceedings” from visitors and trespassers, as may be the case with vampire vines, strangling creepers, and man-eating trees.

Weighing the obstructive merits of a giant rhubarb (gunnera manicata) against those of a fuschia-flowered gooseberry (ribes speciosum) would be quaint but for the fact that the Brits have real cause for concern. Data from the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) indicates that almost 60 percent of burglaries of dwellings occurred when a resident or someone else was in the home; of those, the percentage where force or violence was threatened or used against the occupant has increased steadily since 2006. The latest CSEW statistics show that in burglaries where an occupant was present and saw the offender, the offender resorted to the use of force or another form of violent victimization in 41 percent of these crimes. The Colchester Borough Council’s website on crime warns that “burglars are breaking into houses while you sleep with the intention of finding your car keys, stealing your car and any other small items they find on the way,” and recommends hiding car keys in a noisy drawer – “but don’t take them up to the bedroom with you.”

Americans, with a constitutional right to armed self-defense and Castle Doctrine legislation in most states, don’t need to bother with cultivating a perimeter briar patch, and may hang their car keys off their bedposts with impunity. Unfortunately for those on the other side of the pond, keeping one’s family safe may mean a moat and drawbridge.

Somehow, I don't think planting shrubs to deter crime stands up to having a loaded AR15 at the bedside, poised & ready if the need arises.

Remember, the locks on the windows & doors are there to protect the home invader, not the homeowner. Wink

The NRA suggests joining an accredited gun club, learn how to use all types of firearms, train often on their use, & learn how to fire them safely & accurately, then buy one you're most comfortable with, & always be fully prepared for life's unexpected turn of events.

Above all, have fun & enjoy your new hobby. ...

If you wish to continue with this series, just follow one of the links on youtube.

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2016 at 10:05am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #29 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 9:32am

Good to see the NRA having diversity in their vids.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print