Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
If you voted for or supported Trump (Read 6506 times)
Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
If you voted for or supported Trump
Nov 14th, 2016 at 1:14pm

Because he is "anti-establishment" well you got conned.

The greatest trick Donald Trump pulled was convincing voters he’d be “anti-establishment.”

This was near the heart of Trump’s appeal to the disaffected and disempowered: Send me to Washington, and that “establishment” you’ve been hearing so much about? We’ll blow it up, send it packing, punch it right in the face, and when it’s over the government will finally be working for you again. And the people who voted for Trump bought it. After all, he’s no politician, right? He’s an outsider, a glass-breaker, a guy who can cut out the bull and get things done. Right?

But the idea that he would do this was based on a profound misunderstanding of what the establishment actually is, and who Donald Trump is.

Here’s a report on Trump’s transition from Eric Lipton of the New York Times:

Quote:
President-elect Donald J. Trump, who campaigned against the corrupt power of special interests, is filling his transition team with some of the very sort of people who he has complained have too much clout in Washington: corporate consultants and lobbyists…

Mr. Trump was swept to power in large part by white working-class voters who responded to his vow to restore the voices of forgotten people, ones drowned out by big business and Wall Street. But in his transition to power, some of the most prominent voices will be those of advisers who come from the same industries for which they are being asked to help set the regulatory groundwork.

An organizational chart of Trump’s transition team shows it to be crawling with corporate lobbyists, representing such clients as Altria, Visa, Coca-Cola, General Electric, Verizon, HSBC, Pfizer, Dow Chemical, and Duke Energy. And K Street is positively salivating over all the new opportunities they’ll have to deliver goodies to their clients in the Trump era. Who could possibly have predicted such a thing?

The answer is, anyone who was paying attention. Look at the people Trump is considering for his Cabinet, and you won’t find any outside-the-box thinkers burning to work for the little guy. It’s a collection of Republican politicians and corporate plutocrats — not much different from who you’d find in any Republican administration

What are the priorities Trump and the Republican Congress will be pursuing right out of the gate? That eternal Republican priority, cutting taxes. It won’t actually be Trump’s plan precisely that will pass Congress and he’ll sign, it will be some combination of what he wanted and what congressional Republicans want. The two share a driving principle in common, helping regular folks is most definitely not it.

No, their commitment is to be of service to that most oppressed and forgotten group of Americans, the wealthy. Trump’s tax plan would give 47 percent of its benefits to the richest one percent of taxpayers. Paul Ryan’s tax plan is even purer — it gives 76 percent of its cuts to the richest one percent in its first year, and by 2025 would feed 99.6 percent of its benefits to the top 1 percent.

Once that’s accomplished, Trump and the Republicans plan to either gut or completely repeal the Dodd-Frank financial regulations, the greatest wish of Wall Street bankers. Can you feel the anti-establishment wind blowing?

Most plainly, the voters thinking that Trump would vanquish the establishment were just marks for a con, like those who lost their life savings at Trump University. But it was made possible by the vagueness of the idea of the “establishment” and the way people could pour all their dissatisfaction into it and elect the guy promising to destroy it when he had no intention of doing anything of the sort.

By now we should understand that while Trump is an ignorant buffoon in some ways and an outright m.oron in others, he’s also a savant of hatred and resentment. He not only identifies the ugliest feelings that portions of the electorate have but he finds just the right way to reach in and goose them. And he grasped that people were ready to sign on with an attack on all sectors of established power, in Washington or anywhere else.

That attack was politically potent because to those who heard it, it was about much more than politics. What Trump tapped into was their sense of powerlessness, that unseen forces are pulling the strings and manipulating “the system” for their own benefit. That “system” encompasses everything from politics to the economy to their local schools to culture. The system made that factory leave town. The system lets immigrants come in and speak a language other than English. Everywhere you look you’re being held down by the system

So when Trump complained that anything that didn’t go his way meant the system was “rigged” against him, they nodded in agreement and said, “Yep, it’s rigged against me, too.”

Washington can rest easy because although a Trump presidency can be many things, one thing it will not be is a threat to the establishment.

-WP
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2016 at 1:27pm by Raven »  

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: If you voted for or supported Trump
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 1:25pm

And now we get to laugh at the simpletons and idiots who got conned by Trump.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:08pm

If you voted for or supported Trump - we have been celebrating for a week.

A great victory for a Country that will again be great.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:11pm

longweekend58 wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 1:25pm:

He's a good con man, I'll give him that.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:12pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:08pm:
If you voted for or supported Trump - we have been celebrating for a week.

A great victory for a Country that will again be great.

I wasnt aware it had ever stopped being 'great'. Biggest economy, mightiest military, most influential and most innovative and with a lower unemployment than normal.  What exactly it 'not great' there?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:18pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:11pm:

I don't know about good at all. He was certainly effective, but the cons were obvious, were well-exposed and yet people voted. All it really showed is that there are some incredibly stupid people in USA (and some here) to vote for the most obvious con-job in decades.

Even Trump didnt expect it to succeed!

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:26pm

Some extreme right wing politicians want us to think that things have never been worse.

The fact is life on earth has never been better.

We live around 40 years longer then last century, for the first time ever less then 10% of the world lives in absolute poverty, we are in school longer then ever before, since the 50s the average IQ has increased by an average of 20 points.

For the first time in history more countries a re democracies than dictatorships and less war than ever before.

Things are pretty good really.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:28pm

longweekend58 wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:18pm:

I don't know about good at all. He was certainly effective, but the cons were obvious, were well-exposed and yet people voted. All it really showed is that there are some incredibly stupid people in USA (and some here) to vote for the most obvious con-job in decades.

True.

I'd bet Trump doesn't want to have to own the enormous and constraining responsibility that comes with the kind of success he now has that he was pretending to strive for over the last 18 months...

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:49pm

longweekend58 wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:18pm:

Grin Grin Grin
Nobody expected Trump to succeed and now not even Trump expected Trump to succeed.  Trump succeeded despite Trumps's expectations!!!!!
You left out Hitler and Mussolini and the Nazis from your posts - you are slipping, pal.

You self-absorbed, triggered ninnies. How sweet it it is to see you all wetting yourselves and coming up with ever-crazier self-absorbed lunacies.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:53pm

Frank wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:49pm:
Nobody expected Trump to succeed and now not even Trump expected Trump to succeed. 

Correct.

He was in shock the next day.

"What now?"    Undecided

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:02pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:53pm:
Nobody expected Trump to succeed and now not even Trump expected Trump to succeed. 

Correct.

"What now?"    Undecided

Now he is going to do what he has been saying he would do.  Shocks the likes of you, I now. You said you'd p!ss off if gets the job yet you are still infesting these boards.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:05pm

Frank wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:02pm:

Correct.

"What now?"    Undecided

Now he is going to do what he has been saying he would do. 

Ahh... Except for Obamacare...

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:13pm

Trump has plans to backflip on climate change I suppose.

...I don't know how he survives without doing so...

The language has change and he is using words such as 'amend'. This indicates he just lied for the votes and  gained so much power: this, in the right hands, could save the world because that Arctic is seriously melting NOW!

The potential melting out of the Multi-year sea ice in the Arctic is not a good thing as it can only be replaced by first year ice which is salty by definition and melts easily. This means Greenland becomes the heat sink which is basically what is happening now.

(BTW: the leonardo di caprio movie was cherry picking the year 2012 as part of the identification of 5 years of Greenland melt with the rope and all that jazz... did they say 15 feet in five years ... that can't be normal or we're all fooooooooooooooooobarrrrrrrrrrrrrrred up the wahhhhzzzzzooooooo)

Some say there will be a bad cyclone in the Arctic in a few days...

Check out the temps:
(Daily mean temperatures for the Arctic area north of the 80th northern parallel, plotted with daily climate values calculated from the period 1958-2002.)

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:22pm by TheFunPolice »  

dmi141116.png (5 KB | 43 )
dmi141116.png

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:23pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:05pm:

Correct.

"What now?"    Undecided

And building The Wall.  Now it is a fence

And deporting illegals

And banning muslims

and as for draining the swamp.... his cabinet is filled literally filled with the same old Creatures from the Swamp.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:26pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:05pm:

Correct.

"What now?"    Undecided

... unless this is what he always wanted and just lied to the electorate to throw the mentally retarded media into apoplexion knowing the consuming voter played the game better than ye olde murdered c*c*

Grin Grin Grin

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print