Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electricity prices- national issue (Read 945 times)
gottasay

Australian Politics

Stralia
Electricity prices- national issue
Nov 4th, 2016 at 2:55am

My first post,
It is become a concern now, the issue of electricity prices has become, or is becoming rather surreal.
Yes, I understand many coal generators are being shut down, the privatization, is it really working to benefit this nation, no matter what state has the "ace card" ?
So SA will get another increase because it gets it electricity elsewhere, currently Vic, soon from NSW and all I see is, a windfall for Canberra in GST.

My home is 100% electric, but the electric stove is switched off from the main, I use a gas burner camp stove. I will no longer use the reverse cycle heater, that to is switched off at the mains. I got through winter this year simply by rugging up.
I'm on a pension.
I have done this before and would register my car for 6 months just so to recoup financially. I will be doing this stint again in 2017.
Depending on how much my next electricity bill will be, ( and I know I have used less this quarter ), it seems though the less I manage to use, the prices keep going up so there is not much real gain.

If this continues, there will have to be some sort of alternative living arrangements made around the home to try to find a way to not have electricity at all.
I would be doing this right this now if I could find another way to run the basics, that is the fridge, washing machine and hot water.
I can use re-chargeable torches for lights, and I can survive this way cos I have done lots of the ozzie bush back in the days and manage to repair a generator found in hard rubbish, all it needs is a bit of fuel just to re-charge the essentials. And it can run the washing machine.

But for many out there in similar predicaments regarding the rising costs of electricity, the aged, the sick, family n kids etc, it obviously won't be that easy.

My point is, there is something very very wrong in the formula and the respective policies of each respective state regarding the generation of electricity, the privatization of an essential utility and the markets.

I saw tonight on the news the politicians declaring all this stuff again in a monotone voice and offer no real solution, or hope.

If push comes to shove and I may have to choose to no longer have power supplied to my government rental home, then the internet has to go, and I can live without the internet, it's just another cost as far as I am concerned, ( snail mail still works).
This is the reality from my standpoint and a few of my associates, mates and neighbors see it.

It is no longer a case of " he said-she said-liberal labor said-who done it-what done it, what color is it, etc etc".

It is a case of finding a real solution without all the goody goody gumdrops political BS, and my guess is nuclear power stations is the unspoken obvious, starting with SA. and it has to be owned and run by the South Australian Government, for South Australia and the people of SA and privatization concepts cannot be considered, ever again.

There will be no other choice.

IP Logged

utirhjocjwodijefdo

Re: Electricity prices- national issue
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 7:42pm

Go off grid. The technology is here now. you can do it for an initial startup cost of $15K I believe. Go the the Catalyst ABC website, they had a program on it a while ago.

My word is Gospel. I am an atheist.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Electricity prices- national issue
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 1:54pm

Just be prepared to pay for the ongoing maintenance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print