Re: Counter lunches—the good, the bad and the chunder
Reply #60 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 5:49pm

Aussie wrote on Nov 5th, 2016 at 3:35pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Nov 5th, 2016 at 3:32pm:
Rissoles
made from lips and arseholes
In England they are called faggots

Enjoy, Aussie!

Yet any day a Pub or even shopping mall cookery puts them on, [highlight]they walk out the kitchen to tables in droves.[/highlight]  Must have the mash, peas and gravy.

What does, The Faggots?

Brian Ross on why Muslims kill Quote:-" It appears to be a cultural thing, rather than something they have learnt from their religion, despite what you appear to believe."

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #61 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:05pm

Need some help.

Mum has dementia, fairly early stage. Apparently leafy green veges help slow down the progress of the dementia so I have been preparing meals for her with lots of leafy green veges.

Easiest lgv—spinach/chard/silverbeet. But can only serve once a week (folic acid in the leaves.)

Second easy one, lettuce. Mum loves salads so that is OK but even she will get bored with salad every day.

There is a Dutch vege called endive (well, we ate it in Holland) that can be sliced into a salad, steamed or stirfried.

I bought some leaves from a stall selling chinese herbs and veges, green leaves with some purple near where the stem is. Nice quick stirfry.

Kan kon (kang kong?,) some others possible.

Is cabbage a “leafy green vegetable?” She loves coleslaw so that would be good. I prepare kale for her, assume that is a lgv. Does “chinese spinach” have folic acid in its leaves? More googling.

Any others?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #62 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:52pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:05pm:
Need some help.

Mum has dementia, fairly early stage. Apparently leafy green veges help slow down the progress of the dementia so I have been preparing meals for her with lots of leafy green veges.

Easiest lgv—spinach/chard/silverbeet. But can only serve once a week (folic acid in the leaves.)

Second easy one, lettuce. Mum loves salads so that is OK but even she will get bored with salad every day.

There is a Dutch vege called endive (well, we ate it in Holland) that can be sliced into a salad, steamed or stirfried.

I bought some leaves from a stall selling chinese herbs and veges, green leaves with some purple near where the stem is. Nice quick stirfry.

Is cabbage a “leafy green vegetable?” She loves coleslaw so that would be good. I prepare kale for her, assume that is a lgv. Does “chinese spinach” have folic acid in its leaves? More googling.

Any others?

Any veg that is leafy and or green is good monk... give her fish oil as high a dose as you can and do it every day.. there is a cure for dementia now..or so FB says, not main stream yet- I think a type of radiowaves? Visual stimulus also auditory stimulus ( talking about old times having a laugh) also helps keeps the nuerons firing and keeps mum happy.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #63 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:02pm

I try to make her meals interesting and different, push her to do word puzzles at least 15 minutes a day and when it is cool we will do some walking—when out I try and ensure she walks a bit more than she really wants, just to push her to exert/extend herself a bit.

As to cures, not sure, some evil proteins build up and block transmissions between adjacent neurons. Could be a particular wavelength breaks up those proteins? Could try sticking Mum’s head in the microwave?  Grin

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #64 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 2:09am

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:02pm:
I try to make her meals interesting and different, push her to do word puzzles at least 15 minutes a day and when it is cool we will do some walking—when out I try and ensure she walks a bit more than she really wants, just to push her to exert/extend herself a bit.

As to cures, not sure, some evil proteins build up and block transmissions between adjacent neurons. Could be a particular wavelength breaks up those proteins? Could try sticking Mum’s head in the microwave?  Grin

Yep that was pretty much the gist of it...exciting discovery if true.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #65 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 4:32pm

Had a look as to what is a good diet for a person suffering dementia. Heap of rubbish.

Will make sure she has a bit more fish and chicken, but had already cut back on red meat anyway, partly the $$$ and now eat an appropriate amount: red meat has more iron and vitamins than white meat but too much is protein overload

Reckon a nice salad with some smoked salmon could easily be a regular part of her diet as she loves salad. Plenty green leaves rather than potato salad, baby spinach leaves etc.

Today I took her to an expensive restaurant (Salopian Inn in McLaren Vale) and she had snapper croquettes as entree, beef kofta as main. Bought her a mixed leaf salad as a side and I bought duck fat potatoes, turned out to be hasselback potatoes, man they were good. Beautiful delicate use of herbs, the lettuce in the salad nice and crunchy—FRESH! Glass of bubbly to toast the birthday girl then glass of a local dry white.

So some fish and a fair bit of salad. And some red meat, oh well  Smiley

On the way to paying I went to the threshhold of the kitchen and told the cooks the food was delicious and thanked them. $179 for the two of us. Next time won’t order a side of potatoes so I can fit desert in  Grin

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

kemal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 8:58pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:05pm:
Need some help.

Any others?

My Mother died from the effects of alzheimer's, so you have my full sympathy.

If your Mother is in the first stages of the dreadful disease massive doses of vitamin C has been trialled with some success to slow the development. If you are able to get the new drugs now available on the PBS she may get five more years of normal life. It has to be used as early as poss for the best result.

I wish you and your MUM all the best!

Am very sorry. 

Brian Ross on why Muslims kill Quote:-" It appears to be a cultural thing, rather than something they have learnt from their religion, despite what you appear to believe."

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #67 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:42pm

kemal wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 8:58pm:
Am very sorry. 

God complex K? Wink

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #68 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:32pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:42pm:
kemal wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 8:58pm:
Am very sorry. 

God complex K? Wink

With an avatar like that ?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #69 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 11:25am

Thanks very much, Kemal.

Will get Vitamin C.

Just want to keep her mind as good as can be for the few years she has left.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #70 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 7:00pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 11:25am:
Thanks very much, Kemal.

Will get Vitamin C.

Just want to keep her mind as good as can be for the few years she has left.

Lots of fish and fish oil...

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #71 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 8:29pm

Salad with slices of smoked salmon I made for her to eat tonight.

Have a couple of silver whiting fillets and some chicken thigh fillets, plenty of white meat. Some diced feral pork, vac packed, for Monday with chinese greens.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #72 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:43pm

Lightly floured and grilled whiting, LOTS of lemon juice and spinach for her dinner tonight.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #73 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:17pm

Summer will give way to Fall soon, so the mind looks ahead to new delights.

One thing I am looking ahead to: pine mushrooms and native morels. Enjoyed the native morels once last year. Oh My Gawd, so rich in flavor, just a few grams are all you need for a delicious meal. Mushrooms on toast is a nice, simple way, maybe a light sprinkle of herbs.

Last year they were only available for a VERY short period, too much rain or something, drat it! will dream of a kilo of morels, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I did have French morels a couple of times: they could be imported after the dimpled surface of the morel was blasted with high pressure air to remove the soil. Our native morels? 1000 times better than the French junk!

Soon too will be available: pine mushrooms. These yellow mushrooms DO look a bit unappetising I will admit. They grow in clumps in pine forests and where the cap of one pressed on the gills of another there is an offputting green mark.

Just buy some and cook them. You will love them! Oh yeah, I am a convert, hmm hmm! And the way to cook them? Not delicate and expensive like the morels I would use them in mushroom risottos.

For four, 1L vegetable stock (I suppose you could add a cream of mushroom soup tin to boost mushroom flavor??? Not something I would do, YMMV.) A glass of a nice dry wine, good size piece of butter. Get the stock simmering then melt the butter in a biggish heavy saucepan. When that is all melted and frothing up nicely add the rice, stir stir stir until all the rice is coated with the butter then add the wine all in one go.

Stir stir stir (there ARE some very good stirrers here, n'est–ce pas?) until the wine has bubble bubbled and boiled away/absorbed into the rice.

Add a ladle of the vege stock and, you guessed, stir stir stir. Repeat until the rice is al dente and the stock is absorbed and the rice fluffy.

JUST before that, get the pine ’shrooms sliced and fried till not quite done. Bung into the not-quite-done risotto adding a sprinkling of herbs if you like, stir, serve.

Or put the pine mushrooms on top of the done rissoto—its YOUR meal!

Now there has been a bit of a hullabaloo (or stir  Smiley ) in the serious cookers of risotto saying they add all the stock at once. OK, I love the ceremony of the serial additions of stock, the stirring etc. Gives me a little bit more control but whatever floats your boat.

Personally, can’t wait!

Mushrooms on toast, mushroom omelette easy counter lunch meals, the risotto can be made to 3/4 done then individual serves cooked to order.

Go visit your fresh produce markets, not disgusting “super” markets. Or visit a farmers market.

If you can find some native morels you will be in heaven!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #74 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:58am

As the weather keeps cooling PIES enter the menu. Potatoe au gratin and croquettes.

Chicken and mushroom, steak and kidney, fish pie or fish stew with garlic potato mash (or parsnip or celeriac mash.)

Croquettes with veal or fish. Price of fish skyrocketing but (in Adelaide anyway) ocean leather jackets are tasty and cheap. Buy a piece of (farmed) trout or salmon for really nice croquettes tho at a higher price.

All natural counter lunch food. Couple croquettes on slice decent bread with side of salad and one of chips—a few really good chips. Serve the salad separately always, don’t want warm salad and cold chips! Pies of course the ultimate in counter meals.

BTW—IMPORTANT—always, always order a “steak and. . .” pie. Never know what you get in an ordinary pie especially in a shop you have never been in before.

Anyone eaten a pie floater? I did, once. Was very young and very drunk. Disgusting meal!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print