Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The human Molotov cocktail (Read 1582 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

The human Molotov cocktail
Oct 27th, 2016 at 6:11am

When Trump came to the Detroit Economic Club he stood in front of Ford Motor Co execs and said:
"If you close those factories here and open them in Mexico, I will put a 35% tariff on the cars and when you ship them back here nobody will buy them"

Stunned Ford executives, music to the ears of Michigan workers.
-zerohedge

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The human Molotov cocktail
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 7:21am

Did he say he would stop paying their subsidies too, Bogie? That's why they're in Detroit and not Tijuana.

Then they would be stunned. They certainly know the president wouldn't try to put up prices by 35%. And they also know the president has no power to do so.

That might explain their silence. They were amazed that a presidential candidate could be so jaw-droppingly dumb.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:23am

*boring*

Next.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:30am

Marla wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:23am:
*boring*

Next.

You don't think the Amerikan public should be informed that Trump is threatening to put Ford out of business?

Or that he plans to slug imported goods with a 35% tax?

And that he plans to end NAFTA in the process?

Remember, this is the non-mainstream news Bogie wants you to hear.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:54am

*boring*

Next.

Trumps Walk of Fame star has been smashed..

TRUMP has his own STAR... hes famous for what????

touching up females by the sound of things..
not paying any taxes
going bankrupt and still smelling like a rose.
being rich without being rich.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:59am

cods wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:54am:
*boring*

Next.

Trumps Walk of Fame star has been smashed..

TRUMP has his own STAR... hes famous for what????

touching up females by the sound of things..
not paying any taxes
going bankrupt and still smelling like a rose.
being rich without being rich.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

That's true, dear, but Trump's going to make Amerika great again, so it's all good.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 9:11am

Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:30am:
You don't think the Amerikan public should be informed that Trump is threatening to put Ford out of business?

You have zero clue what you're talking about.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 9:37am

bogarde73 wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 6:11am:
When Trump came to the Detroit Economic Club he stood in front of Ford Motor Co execs and said:
"If you close those factories here and open them in Mexico, I will put a 35% tariff on the cars and when you ship them back here nobody will buy them"

-zerohedge

In some ways, this issue, has been the "elephant in the room," for twenty years. Globalisation was never intended to bring you cheaper goods. It was a way of getting cheaper labour, thereby benefiting those who do the importing. Lower prices were just the bait to get Western workers to go along with the developments. But the reality is that, sooner or later, the pool of wealth at the consumer level will run out. The goose that laid the golden egg will be dead, but dynasties and their corporations are already international, and are free to feast on corpses elsewhere.

The problem with Trump, apart from being a total asshole, is that while he has identified real problems, he has no capacity for articulating them in universal terms that would be undeniable to all intelligent voters.

He's like one of these dreadful Hollywood types who, intoxicated with their narrow success, must then write, direct, and act in a production. And then they wonder why it fails at the box-office. If you cannot delegate, you certainly will fail as a leader of a complex organisation.

OK on second thought, my metaphor is flawed, but you catch my drift.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 9:54am

-zerohedge

Lol, it doesn't take a genius to work out what Ford would do instead. and its not keep the US factories open.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 10:18am

I'm almost certain the US President has absolutely no power to do such a thing.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 11:55am

Marla wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 9:11am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:30am:

You have zero clue what you're talking about.

You're right, Marla. All I've read about this is Bogey's mystery article.

Would you like to fill us in, Bogey?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:24pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 9:37am:

-zerohedge

In some ways, this issue, has been the "elephant in the room," for twenty years. Globalisation was never intended to bring you cheaper goods. It was a way of getting cheaper labour, thereby benefiting those who do the importing. Lower prices were just the bait to get Western workers to go along with the developments. But the reality is that, sooner or later, the pool of wealth at the consumer level will run out. The goose that laid the golden egg will be dead, but dynasties and their corporations are already international, and are free to feast on corpses elsewhere.

The problem with Trump, apart from being a total asshole, is that while he has identified real problems, he has no capacity for articulating them in universal terms that would be undeniable to all intelligent voters.

He's like one of these dreadful Hollywood types who, intoxicated with their narrow success, must then write, direct, and act in a production. And then they wonder why it fails at the box-office. If you cannot delegate, you certainly will fail as a leader of a complex organisation.

OK on second thought, my metaphor is flawed, but you catch my drift.

Issue, prices have dropped in relation to wages since the 1980s. Back then, you never saw the array of cheap stuff we have for sale today. Back then, you had to go to Singapore and Hong Kong for cheap electronics. Today, they're the same price here.

Many goods are cheaper today in dollar prices. Clothing and footware was much more expensive due to tariffs. Companies had monopolies and didn't compete. Competition with foreign goods has driven prices down.

The big global shift in the 1970s was the rise in manufacturing competition from Germany and Japan. In the 80 and 90s, Taiwan, Korea and China got in. This gave US-manufactured goods competition, and not just because of prices. People bought Japanese cars, for example, because they were smaller and more efficient than what came out of Detroit. Americans bought Volkswagen Beetles in the 60s and 70s for the same reason.

Governments favouring local manufacturing only results in one thing: monopolies. Consumers want choice. Not all Americans want locally-made gas-guzzlers. They deserve the opportunity to buy imports. More importantly, the economy as a whole deserves a level-playing field.

Our car business in Australia didn't go bust because the government withdrew tariffs and subsidies. Ultimately, it busted because not enough people wanted Australian cars.

This is fair. People should not be forced to buy a product because alternatives are restricted. Government-supported monopolies are corrupt and unfair to the competition. When it comes to manufactured consumer goods, monopolies deliver inferior products.

Manufactured goods are cheaper and better with a global level playing field. Take this away, and it might create a few jobs, but at the expense of consumers. Why shouldn't the government spend those subsidies and increased taxes on services rather than manufacturing jobs?

Surely it would be better to increase taxes rather than impose tariffs and spend the money on teachers or even infrastructure. This would be a long-term investment in the economy. 

At the end of the day, propping up GMH and Ford with taxpayer's money only favours GMH And Ford.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 5:11pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:24pm:
Our car business in Australia didn't go bust because the government withdrew tariffs and subsidies. Ultimately, it busted because not enough people wanted Australian cars.

govt. isn't entirely blameless .... every other car manufacturing country in the world receives govt. subsidies. Many far more than Australian manufacturers were receiving.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 5:14pm

Michael Moore: Trump’s Election Will Be Biggest ‘F*ck You’ in Human History 0-and it ill feel GREAT!!!!

“So on November 8th, the dispossessed will walk into the voting booth, be handed a ballot, close the curtain and take that lever, or felt pen, or touch screen and put a big smacking X in the box by the name of the man who has threatened to upend and overturn the very system that has ruined their lives: Donald J. Trump.

“They see that the elites, who ruined their lives, hate Trump. Corporate America hates Trump. Wall Street hates Trump. The career politicians hate Trump. The media hate Trump, after they loved him and created him and now hate him. Thank you, media. The enemy of my enemy is who I’m voting for on November 8th.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 5:36pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 5:11pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:24pm:

govt. isn't entirely blameless .... every other car manufacturing country in the world receives govt. subsidies. Many far more than Australian manufacturers were receiving.

But it's not enough.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print