Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Dilema - Age Appropriate (Read 3750 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Dilema - Age Appropriate
Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:41pm

Today, my 7 year old came home from school whereby he told me all about Daniel Morcombe and what happened to him. Apparently he was even shown pictures even of Daniels skeleton. I'm not sure how much detail they went into, or even why .... but he seems to know the general gist of the case.

He is now terrified about some nutter coming in and getting him. I've spent the majority of the afternoon trying to explain to him that these things are a rare occurance, that he is safe, that mummy and daddy will protect him etc etc. But when I tried to send him upstairs to grab a jumper, he was terrified that some bad man was waiting for him and refused to go up unless I accompanied him. He's not normally like this. Now he's even talking about wanting to sleep in my bed ... something he hasn't done since he was 12 months old.

I've always avoided stories of bogey men etc because I didn't want him growing up to be afraid. I wanted him to be confident, but still make smart choices.

I've been trying to work out why they had this discussion, and for the life of me can't work out why. Sure, they have lessons about stranger danger ... but they don't need to go into details about real life crimes or frighten the crap out of kids to make that point. I'm of the opinion that I am going to go to his school on Monday morning and raise hell.

My question, does anyone think it's appropriate that schools discuss murder cases with 7 year olds? Or can anyone think of a good reason why a 7 year old even needs to know about it?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Dilema - Age Appropriate
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:46pm

No. I was thinking about this today actually .

My 9 year old girl is teaching herself a few Stones songs on the piano.  She was listening to Gimme Shelter and I'm just waiting for her to ask me what rape means.

IBI

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:49pm

Was it the school or was it other kids? It is not exactly clear.

If it was the school, I would definitely complain. If it was the kids, I would still raise the issue.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:55pm

Welcome to Team Anti Morcombe.  I despise this exposure of your child to that schit, and the School's intrusion into your management of the way you want your Son to hear about matters of great sensitivity as you saw this afternoon.  Phark them and the lame horse they rode in on!  This is the way the Morcombe Parents make their living.  Flogging their story around the Country side and being bloody paid for it and not giving one proper moments thought to the emotional damage they are causing.

Your seven year old Son should never have been exposed to the name Morcombe.  A lesson in stranger danger can be delivered with any reference to physical consequences to kids.

Get there on Monday and rip that School Principal a new arsehole, not only for your Son, but for me as well.  These people make me spew.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:09pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:58pm

I'm sure Aussie will love this one Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:02pm

That is so wrong, John. My commiserations.

In your place I would contact as many of the parents whose children were involved, and make it a group effort.

Also see the school counselor.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:22pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:46pm:
She was listening to Gimme Shelter and I'm just waiting for her to ask me what rape means.

he hasn't asked me that one yet ..... Shocked

lee wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:49pm:
Was it the school or was it other kids?

it was the school.

Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:55pm:
A lesson in stranger danger can be delivered with any reference to physical consequences to kids.

I'm not even sure if that was why they did it ... apparently they've been asked to wear a red shirt on the 28th ... I hope that's not the only reason the kids were put through this

Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:02pm:
That is so wrong, John. My commiserations.

thanks

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:30pm

Quote:
I'm not even sure if that was why they did it ... apparently they've been asked to wear a red shirt on the 28th ... I hope that's not the only reason the kids were put through this

This makes it even worse!!!!  That is the
Day for Daniel
on which, here on the Sunshine Coast, there is a march with people wearing red on the claimed basis of......I have no pharking idea.....but.....all the local Pollies will be there to be seen, with School kids (like your Son) who have no idea whatsoever, just to boost crowd numbers to massage the Morcombes and provide the schmedia with some footage for that nights Schnews.

The personal Family financial and political exploitation which is going on as a result of that Kid's death is pissing many Sunshine Coasters off, increasingly every year they carry on with it.

Get the phark over it Morcombes!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:33pm

I reckon the Sunshine Coast should be renamed Morcombe town and every public meeting's should begin with a tribute to them. The whole area should ceceed from Australia and the new currency would be the Morcombe. Anyone who speaks Ill of a Morcombe would be deported to Tasmania

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:36pm

IBI

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:43pm

Why do you think soldiers come home and suffer PTSD? not conditioned to the battlefield

Let your son learn everything about the real world and become conditioned to it. The last thing you want is a wimp on your hands

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:46pm

I finally seem to have gotten him to calm down. At least the demands that he sleep in my bed have ceased and he seems happy to go to bed. I had the house prayed today as part of the annual pest control, and I told him that the spray kills spiders, cockroaches and makes the legs fall off bad men so if one were to walk in while he was asleep, they wouldn't be able to get up the stairs ...

after trying all sorts of ways to ease his concerns all afternoon, that one seems to have worked. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:48pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:43pm:
Let your son learn everything about the real world and become conditioned to it.

I plan to, but 7 years of age is just to young for that sort of crap .... their are concepts he has to juggle with that he is simply incapable of understanding at the age of 7. At 7 the world is black and white.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:49pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:30pm:

that will never happen ... even in another 50 yrs, they won't be 'over it'

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:53pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:49pm:

Aussie thinks getting over a murdered child takes the same time as to air out a car after someone drops a bad vindaloo fart.

Hope he doesn't have to walk a mile......

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:54pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:46pm:
I finally seem to have gotten him to calm down. At least the demands that he sleep in my bed have ceased and he seems happy to go to bed. I had the house prayed today as part of the annual pest control, and I told him that the spray kills spiders, cockroaches and makes the legs fall off bad men so if one were to walk in while he was asleep, they wouldn't be able to get up the stairs ...

after trying all sorts of ways to ease his concerns all afternoon, that one seems to have worked. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy

Ha, and then, you can show him the proof in the morning.  No bad man at the bottom of the stairs with torso adrift from two legs.....................hang on...........he'll see through that if he is on the ball.  You'll have the fall back position of.....'See, no bad men even came in because the 'pray' was so good.'

Grin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:55pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:54pm:
because the 'pray' was so good.

spray doofus ...typo

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm

I agree, but 'we' are fed up with them not getting over it in so many public displays designed to keep the cash flowing in to the Foundation.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:57pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:55pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:54pm:
because the 'pray' was so good.

spray doofus ...typo

"No sh1t, Sherlock."

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:00pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm:

I agree, but 'we' are fed up with them not getting over it in so many public displays designed to keep the cash flowing in to the Foundation.

your feeling about the cash cow are a different matter, but asking a parent to get over it .... my grandmothers son was murdered 47 yrs ago ... she died 10 yrs ago and her final words were still about her murdered son. In all the yrs after his murder she never again left her house unless she was taken out for medical reasons .... the death of a child is the absolute worst thing any parent can ever face. I can only hope no parent ever has to go through it ... although I know they will

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:04pm

Oh what a terrible cause.

The Foundation's key role in the community is the education of all children about their personal safety. By directly assisting educators and parents through the funding and development of child safety educational resources as well as assisting young victims of crime, the Foundation continues to empower all Australians to make their local communities safer places for all children.

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:08pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:04pm:

The Foundation's key role in the community is the education of all children about their personal safety. By directly assisting educators and parents through the funding and development of child safety educational resources as well as assisting young victims of crime, the Foundation continues to empower all Australians to make their local communities safer places for all children.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that .... as long as it's age appropriate .... you can't give 7 yr old details about one of the worst child murders in our history, especially where the whole point seems to be to scare the bejesus out of them..

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:09pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:08pm:

I don't necessarily have a problem with that .... as long as it's age appropriate .... you can't give 7 yr old details about one of the worst child murders in our history, especially where the whole point seems to be to scare the bejesus out of them..

It's the schools role to check anything from outside the ciriculum.  Buck stops with them.

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:10pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:00pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm:

your feeling about the cash cow are a different matter, but asking a parent to get over it .... my grandmothers son was murdered 47 yrs ago ... she died 10 yrs ago and her final words were still about her murdered son. In all the yrs after his murder she never again left her house unless she was taken out for medical reasons .... the death of a child is the absolute worst thing any parent can ever face. I can only hope no parent ever has to go through it ... although I know they will

Sorry to hear about that experience, but I know you are sharp enough to understand the difference between what you describe and what the Morcombe Parents have been up to.

I thoroughly understand what your Grandmother experienced, and what many others like her experience, but they do not play out their grief in the same commercial manner 'we' are pissed off about up here.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:15pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:09pm:
It's the schools role to check anything from outside the ciriculum.  Buck stops with them.

you can bet I'll remind them of that come Monday morning

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:16pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:08pm:

That is why you ought be in that Principal's face on Monday.  Why was it done.  I am fearful the answer will not even have a glimmer of 'child safety' credibility.........it will be......."We want the kids to wear 'red' next Friday because...........???????"

So the School can win the "Which School wore more
red
on the
Day for Daniel
" Shield?

Gah!

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #26 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:34pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:41pm:
My question, does anyone think it's appropriate that schools discuss murder cases with 7 year olds? Or can anyone think of a good reason why a 7 year old even needs to know about it?

Somehow, I don't think that this really happened. But it does raise a point about appropriateness if it is true. When I was 10 years old, I was exposed to this silly M-rated movie called "Critters 2". In today's horror terms, I thought the movie was quite tame. But, as a 10-year-old, I was horrified by the explicit violence of people getting killed by alien creatures at apparent random.

To the extent that I was frightened of the likelihood that something horrific would happen to myself and family. It took a good 2 years to overcome the post-traumatic stress effects. I suppose, in a way, it was good that I was exposed to some kind of horror. It helped in maturing me to the horrors that I could face in, what was then, my future.

I'm in two minds about this. Since being exposed to a real situation is different to entertainment media, you would need to treat this seriously with some considerable damage control. I agree that you would need to raise this with the school about age appropriateness of a murder detail. The next thing you need to talk about is to raise the issue with the child about what happened, without going too far into detail. Tell him what he wants to know. He won't ask too much information at his age. After some time, if he still has doubts about his place in the world, you may need to encourage him to "get over it" in some way.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:03am

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:34pm:
Somehow, I don't think that this really happened.

fine, then you explain where my 7 yr old saw photo's of Morcombe, his twin brother, and Morcombes skeletal remains. .... i know he didn't make it up

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #28 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:09am

I can't understand how this would have been something that a 7-year-old would be shown by a teacher. Perhaps an older school child trying to look tough among the younger students. Or an article he was shown on a website.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #29 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:25am

John Smith wrote on Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:03am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:34pm:
Somehow, I don't think that this really happened.

fine, then you explain where my 7 yr old saw photo's of Morcombe, his twin brother, and Morcombes skeletal remains. .... i know he didn't make it up

Wasn't Morcombe supposed to be locked in the cellar and thrown the occasional fish head to eat, since he was the evil and depraved twin?  Just saying....

**just joshing you - see my comments above - when it comes through....
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:32am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:32am

Maybe the school thought it was a good way of warning kids to be careful and not accept lifts etc.  One of those brain-farts that pervade the 'education' system these days.... like teaching tots about gay-ness and trans-gender garbage (as if a 15 yo can actually work out they need to chop bits of their anatomy and 'become' someone of the opposite sex) and teaching kids about 'men's privilege in society', and so forth.

Really makes you wonder, that......

I guess that's what happens to the schools following The Invasion of The Snatch Embodiers.

**snatch = female reproductive organ, which most oldies will know.... now you know....... as in "doc, I've been sleeping in snatches all night .. I'm worn out".....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:33am

**snatch**

― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 8:22am

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:09am:
I can't understand how this would have been something that a 7-year-old would be shown by a teacher. Perhaps an older school child trying to look tough among the younger students. Or an article he was shown on a website.

and that is my dilemma .. I can't see why either. I don't think it was an older kid because they wouldn't have told him to wear a red shirt on the 28th. Apparently he was supposed to bring a note home but he lost it .

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 8:24am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:32am:
Maybe the school thought it was a good way of warning kids to be careful and not accept lifts etc.

i thought of that but why the need for details? Why show him a photo of Daniels skeletal remains? At that age, it serves no purpose other than to scare them

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #34 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 9:22am

John Smith wrote on Oct 22nd, 2016 at 8:24am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:32am:
Maybe the school thought it was a good way of warning kids to be careful and not accept lifts etc.

i thought of that but why the need for details? Why show him a photo of Daniels skeletal remains? At that age, it serves no purpose other than to scare them

Take your concerns up with the school John. As you say, kids of that age see the world in black and white.

While the consequences in the case of your boy were (I would expect) unintended, the school should be made aware of them. You may well be one of several parents whose child reacted similarly.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:21pm

So.......it is Monday afternoon.  What happened Mr Smith?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:41pm

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #37 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:45pm

The school principle is at the cop shop right now applying for an AVO against Mr Smith Wink

As a victim of crime, perhaps the school principle should contact the Morcombe Foundation.

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 3:41pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:21pm:

something came up and I couldn't get out there this morning. You need to learn patience.

I went to speak to them this arvo instead. I'm satisfied the school didn't go into any details they shouldn't have. Still don't know where he saw a photo of a skeleton but I'm satisfied it wasn't on any materials the school gave him. I'm avoiding the topic with him as he seems to have gotten over it and I don't wish to drag it all up with him again

Gordon wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:45pm:
The school principle is at the cop shop right now applying for an AVO against Mr Smith

Grin Grin
not quite ...

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:00pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 3:41pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:21pm:

something came up and I couldn't get out there this morning. You need to learn patience.

I went to speak to them this arvo instead. I'm satisfied the school didn't go into any details they shouldn't have. Still don't know where he saw a photo of a skeleton but I'm satisfied it wasn't on any materials the school gave him. I'm avoiding the topic with him as he seems to have gotten over it and I don't wish to drag it all up with him again

Gordon wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:45pm:
The school principle is at the cop shop right now applying for an AVO against Mr Smith

Grin Grin
not quite ...

As if some kid at School just had it (photo of whatever it was)....on them the very day the School brought the subject up.

They have spun you Mr Smith.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:28pm

I'm satisfied the school didn't go into any details they shouldn't have. Still don't know where he saw a photo of a skeleton but I'm satisfied it wasn't on any materials the school gave him.  .
So it never happened. thought so.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:28pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:00pm:
As if some kid at School just had it (photo of whatever it was)....on them the very day the School brought the subject up.

nah. ...  I don't think he saw a photo of Daniels skeleton. I've now seen all the material the kids saw. there is nothing there that worries me.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:29pm

rhino wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:28pm:
I'm satisfied the school didn't go into any details they shouldn't have. Still don't know where he saw a photo of a skeleton but I'm satisfied it wasn't on any materials the school gave him.  .

what never happened? Did they explain what happened to Daniel? yes, that did happen.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #43 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:39pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:29pm:

what never happened? Did they explain what happened to Daniel? yes, that did happen.

Who did the presentation?

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:53pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:39pm:

there was no set 'presentation ' ... they gave the kids a little pamphlet about wearing red for Daniel day, then fielded questions from the kids.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #45 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 5:09pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:53pm:
Gordon wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:39pm:

there was no set 'presentation ' ... they gave the kids a little pamphlet about wearing red for Daniel day, then fielded questions from the kids.

Upload it

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 5:13pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:28pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:00pm:

nah. ...  I don't think he saw a photo of Daniels skeleton. I've now seen all the material the kids saw. there is nothing there that worries me.

I've been a tad 'sneaky lawyerish' with this.  There is no photo of Daniel Morcombe's skeleton.  A full skeleton was never found.  Just some random bones which were his.

Something scared the beejeezuz out of your Son.  What was it?

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #47 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 5:19pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:41pm:
Today, my 7 year old came home from school whereby he told me all about Daniel Morcombe and what happened to him. Apparently he was even shown pictures even of Daniels skeleton. I'm not sure how much detail they went into, or even why .... but he seems to know the general gist of the case.

He is now terrified about some nutter coming in and getting him. I've spent the majority of the afternoon trying to explain to him that these things are a rare occurance, that he is safe, that mummy and daddy will protect him etc etc. But when I tried to send him upstairs to grab a jumper, he was terrified that some bad man was waiting for him and refused to go up unless I accompanied him. He's not normally like this. Now he's even talking about wanting to sleep in my bed ... something he hasn't done since he was 12 months old.

I've always avoided stories of bogey men etc because I didn't want him growing up to be afraid. I wanted him to be confident, but still make smart choices.

I've been trying to work out why they had this discussion, and for the life of me can't work out why. Sure, they have lessons about stranger danger ... but they don't need to go into details about real life crimes or frighten the crap out of kids to make that point. I'm of the opinion that I am going to go to his school on Monday morning and raise hell.

Kids that age should be aware of Stranger danger. But what you have described is beyond that.
7 is too young to go into the details of Morcombes death.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 6:17pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 5:09pm:
Upload it

this is all they got or saw.

morcombe.JPG (97 KB | 18 )
morcombe.JPG

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 6:21pm

skippy. wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 5:19pm:
7 is too young to go into the details of Morcombes death.

I agree .... but now that I've had a chance to talk to the teachers, I am satisfied that they didn't go into detail. Seems it was just the kids talking.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #50 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 6:40pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 6:17pm:
Upload it

Looks OK to me, and it probably was other kids adding extra info that freaked out your son.

I remember a when I was a kid we got a very general stranger danger talk and a kid told us if you go into a public dunny in the city,  an old guy will cut your dick off....still messes with my head lol.

I bet old mate Petrocelli will keep banging on about it trying to blame the Morcombes, what a Morcombophobe.

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 7:50pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 6:17pm:
Upload it

So.....the 'presentation' was......not a presentation at all?  Nothing said by a person who handed your Son that pamphlet.

I don't believe it.  But, he is your Son and if you are happy with the spin, that is that.

Make a donation, and keep the Morcombes happy little vegemites.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 8:30pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 7:50pm:
  Nothing said by a person who handed your Son that pamphlet.

it was his teacher, and no, not much said. She explained in very general terms that Daniel missed a bus and got into a car with a stranger, and as a result was killed. Then explained that is why they should NEVER get into a car with a stranger. As far as I am concerned, that's a good lesson for kids.

All the rest I can only attribute to his little mates talking.

I know you were hoping for more ammunition to use in your crusade against the Morcombes Aussie, but that's all it was.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 9:17pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 8:30pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 7:50pm:
  Nothing said by a person who handed your Son that pamphlet.

it was his teacher, and no, not much said. She explained in very general terms that Daniel missed a bus and got into a car with a stranger, and as a result was killed. Then explained that is why they should NEVER get into a car with a stranger. As far as I am concerned, that's a good lesson for kids.

All the rest I can only attribute to his little mates talking.

I know you were hoping for more ammunition to use in your crusade against the Morcombes Aussie, but that's all it was.

Wrong.  I knew the Morcombes were not there personally.  I have no more an ongoing campaign against then than they have a campaign to feather their own nest as a direct consequence of the murder of their own Son.  Is sh!ts me and many here on the Sunshine Coast.

Enough!

But no, it will perpetuate on this coming Friday as a schmedia event, for the Pollies to jump on the bandwagon and kids, like your Son, will be part of the machine.

I recall that when I was six/seven, wearing a St. John's Ambulance uniform, being on the back of a tray truck as part of the Bundaberg Cane Harvesting Festival, holding a sign saying 'Tact.'  Gee, it ought be obvious that I then did not know what the word meant, and many would suggest that nothing has changed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print