Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Dilema - Age Appropriate (Read 3739 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Dilema - Age Appropriate
Reply #15 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:54pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:46pm:
I finally seem to have gotten him to calm down. At least the demands that he sleep in my bed have ceased and he seems happy to go to bed. I had the house prayed today as part of the annual pest control, and I told him that the spray kills spiders, cockroaches and makes the legs fall off bad men so if one were to walk in while he was asleep, they wouldn't be able to get up the stairs ...

after trying all sorts of ways to ease his concerns all afternoon, that one seems to have worked. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy

Ha, and then, you can show him the proof in the morning.  No bad man at the bottom of the stairs with torso adrift from two legs.....................hang on...........he'll see through that if he is on the ball.  You'll have the fall back position of.....'See, no bad men even came in because the 'pray' was so good.'

Grin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:55pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:54pm:
because the 'pray' was so good.

spray doofus ...typo

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:49pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:30pm:
Get the phark over it Morcombes!!!!!!!

that will never happen ... even in another 50 yrs, they won't be 'over it'

I agree, but 'we' are fed up with them not getting over it in so many public displays designed to keep the cash flowing in to the Foundation.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:57pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:55pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:54pm:
because the 'pray' was so good.

spray doofus ...typo

"No sh1t, Sherlock."

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:00pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm:

I agree, but 'we' are fed up with them not getting over it in so many public displays designed to keep the cash flowing in to the Foundation.

your feeling about the cash cow are a different matter, but asking a parent to get over it .... my grandmothers son was murdered 47 yrs ago ... she died 10 yrs ago and her final words were still about her murdered son. In all the yrs after his murder she never again left her house unless she was taken out for medical reasons .... the death of a child is the absolute worst thing any parent can ever face. I can only hope no parent ever has to go through it ... although I know they will

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:04pm

Oh what a terrible cause.

The Foundation's key role in the community is the education of all children about their personal safety. By directly assisting educators and parents through the funding and development of child safety educational resources as well as assisting young victims of crime, the Foundation continues to empower all Australians to make their local communities safer places for all children.

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:08pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:04pm:

The Foundation's key role in the community is the education of all children about their personal safety. By directly assisting educators and parents through the funding and development of child safety educational resources as well as assisting young victims of crime, the Foundation continues to empower all Australians to make their local communities safer places for all children.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that .... as long as it's age appropriate .... you can't give 7 yr old details about one of the worst child murders in our history, especially where the whole point seems to be to scare the bejesus out of them..

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:09pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:08pm:

I don't necessarily have a problem with that .... as long as it's age appropriate .... you can't give 7 yr old details about one of the worst child murders in our history, especially where the whole point seems to be to scare the bejesus out of them..

It's the schools role to check anything from outside the ciriculum.  Buck stops with them.

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:10pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:00pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 8:56pm:

your feeling about the cash cow are a different matter, but asking a parent to get over it .... my grandmothers son was murdered 47 yrs ago ... she died 10 yrs ago and her final words were still about her murdered son. In all the yrs after his murder she never again left her house unless she was taken out for medical reasons .... the death of a child is the absolute worst thing any parent can ever face. I can only hope no parent ever has to go through it ... although I know they will

Sorry to hear about that experience, but I know you are sharp enough to understand the difference between what you describe and what the Morcombe Parents have been up to.

I thoroughly understand what your Grandmother experienced, and what many others like her experience, but they do not play out their grief in the same commercial manner 'we' are pissed off about up here.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:15pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:09pm:
It's the schools role to check anything from outside the ciriculum.  Buck stops with them.

you can bet I'll remind them of that come Monday morning

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:16pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:08pm:

That is why you ought be in that Principal's face on Monday.  Why was it done.  I am fearful the answer will not even have a glimmer of 'child safety' credibility.........it will be......."We want the kids to wear 'red' next Friday because...........???????"

So the School can win the "Which School wore more
red
on the
Day for Daniel
" Shield?

Gah!

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #26 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:34pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:41pm:
My question, does anyone think it's appropriate that schools discuss murder cases with 7 year olds? Or can anyone think of a good reason why a 7 year old even needs to know about it?

Somehow, I don't think that this really happened. But it does raise a point about appropriateness if it is true. When I was 10 years old, I was exposed to this silly M-rated movie called "Critters 2". In today's horror terms, I thought the movie was quite tame. But, as a 10-year-old, I was horrified by the explicit violence of people getting killed by alien creatures at apparent random.

To the extent that I was frightened of the likelihood that something horrific would happen to myself and family. It took a good 2 years to overcome the post-traumatic stress effects. I suppose, in a way, it was good that I was exposed to some kind of horror. It helped in maturing me to the horrors that I could face in, what was then, my future.

I'm in two minds about this. Since being exposed to a real situation is different to entertainment media, you would need to treat this seriously with some considerable damage control. I agree that you would need to raise this with the school about age appropriateness of a murder detail. The next thing you need to talk about is to raise the issue with the child about what happened, without going too far into detail. Tell him what he wants to know. He won't ask too much information at his age. After some time, if he still has doubts about his place in the world, you may need to encourage him to "get over it" in some way.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:03am

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:34pm:
Somehow, I don't think that this really happened.

fine, then you explain where my 7 yr old saw photo's of Morcombe, his twin brother, and Morcombes skeletal remains. .... i know he didn't make it up

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #28 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:09am

I can't understand how this would have been something that a 7-year-old would be shown by a teacher. Perhaps an older school child trying to look tough among the younger students. Or an article he was shown on a website.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #29 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:25am

John Smith wrote on Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:03am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:34pm:
Somehow, I don't think that this really happened.

fine, then you explain where my 7 yr old saw photo's of Morcombe, his twin brother, and Morcombes skeletal remains. .... i know he didn't make it up

Wasn't Morcombe supposed to be locked in the cellar and thrown the occasional fish head to eat, since he was the evil and depraved twin?  Just saying....

**just joshing you - see my comments above - when it comes through....
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2016 at 6:32am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print