Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bleeding brakes on my car (Read 875 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Bleeding brakes on my car
Oct 19th, 2016 at 7:29pm

Are ABS brakes any different to bleed?

Do I have to remove the wheels?

I bled some decades ago on another car and have seen some utubes.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Bleeding brakes on my car
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 8:13pm

If you don't know what you're doing then don't do it.

Brakes are a life & death repair job.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:48pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 19th, 2016 at 7:29pm:

Are ABS brakes any different to bleed?

Do I have to remove the wheels?

I bled some decades ago on another car and have seen some utubes.

No different - just make sure you have plenty of fluid in the reservoir, and start at the furthest away from it, make sure there are no air bubbles, then move on to the next furthest... back left, back right, front left, front right - and check the fluid in the reservoir after each single wheel bleed.  If you can, get someone to sit in the driver's seat and push the pedal lightly as you release the nipple and the pressure lightens on the pedal - "I SAID LIGHTLY, DAMN IT! NOT ALL THE WAY TO THE FAR KEN FLOOR!  Gently until I yell STOP!  That's when the bubbles have stopped coming out.... never mind - I'll explain it later...."

Or you can get a one-man bleeder with a little tap on a tube that you affix to the nipple so you can stop the flow when the bubbles stop.  Meh....

If you are getting air or the brakes are soft - you might need repairs to master or slave cylinders - easier to get a mechanic to do it for you and doesn't cost that much.  It's a bastard of a job just getting the bolts loose etc....

I once restored a 1968 Daimler - when I took the brake slave cylinders apart they were filled with 'brake gel' - which develops over time, which is why your brake fluid should be totally changed professionally every two years or so.  If your car is old, that may be the case... brakes still work, but they work better without the gel - which is a bastard to remove.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:50pm

Where's the fun in that attitude ?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:51pm

Good on ya Grappler

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:52pm

Will do the 'gravity' bleed method.

As can do a few or more at a time, will be not too slow overall AND will be much more 'controlled'.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 8:56pm

yep, you can gravity bleed the brakes without taking the wheels off all by yourself.

I drove mine onto some lengths of garden sleepers to give me more space under it.
I do this when changing the oil.
Won't go under a car when it is on jacks.

It all went well.
Go slowly, prepare well.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 10:03pm

You dont have car ramps? They arent expensive , about $50 a pair.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 10:10pm

Two people , person one pump pump till pedals hard , second person loosen bleed screw whilst person one pressing pedal to floor , do this 3 times , make sure brake reservoir stays full , finish off rear left wheel as its furthest from reservoir,  job done .

Why does a die hard Christian need brakes anyway , if you were a true believer jebus would save you

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 7:59pm

Its time wrote on Oct 23rd, 2016 at 10:10pm:
Two people , person one pump pump till pedals hard , second person loosen bleed screw whilst person one pressing pedal to floor , do this 3 times , make sure brake reservoir stays full , finish off rear left wheel as its furthest from reservoir,  job done .

Why does a die hard Christian need brakes anyway , if you were a true believer jebus would save you

Aaaah - you're right!  do the furthest one last - not first as I said in my post.... buggar....

Yes, leave the bleeding brakes alone and let Allah sort it out for you.... Muslim courts often act on the principle that if they make a mistake and lop an innocent man or woman, Allah will set it right once they get up there..... sure makes being lopped or stoned a lot easier on the innocent loser, eh?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 8:27pm

You have probably already done it and most of what people have said it right. The one thing I would say is that if your car has electronic braking or any type right down to an electronic hand brake I would not touch it at all.

I know of cases where even the local mechanic will send it off the manufacturer.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 4:44pm

yes, was a much easier job to gravity bleed them than pressure bleed them.
I have done the pressure bleeding thin many years ago.

I don't want to drive a car up on ramps and crawl under it.
too dangerous for my liking.
decided a while ago, if the car has to be raised or wheels removed and a jack used to work on it, I'll give it to the experts.

I do what I am happy/comfortable to do.

I change the oil and filter too
have done the auto transmission fluid.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 10:19pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 7:59pm:
Its time wrote on Oct 23rd, 2016 at 10:10pm:

Aaaah - you're right!  do the furthest one last - not first as I said in my post.... buggar....

Yes, leave the bleeding brakes alone and let Allah sort it out for you.... Muslim courts often act on the principle that if they make a mistake and lop an innocent man or woman, Allah will set it right once they get up there..... sure makes being lopped or stoned a lot easier on the innocent loser, eh?

Probably doesn't matter , just the way I have always done it

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print