Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Should we abolish our LegCo? (Read 4561 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Should we abolish our LegCo?
Oct 10th, 2016 at 2:28pm

As South Australians know, LegCo members hold their offices for a term of 8 years. NSW is the only other State that has 8-year terms for LegCo. Victoria and Western Australia have reformed their Legislative Councils by reducing the terms to 4 years (in line with the Legislative Assembly terms), AND have divided each State into 'electoral regions' returning an equal number of members, which is an emulation of the Senate on the State level.

Would you support a reform to the LegCo in line with the changes in Victoria and Western Australia, or do you think we should abolish it? If we abolish it, we could think about implementing a voting system of proportional representation in the House of Assembly. To this end, I personally support mixed-member proportional representation - a system that is used in New Zealand.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I personally think that 8-years is too long. That the whole State is one electorate in the Council means that the Councillors don't have a specific electorate to represent. At the least, by assigning them to specific regions, voters would know whom to contact and who is accountable to that region.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Should we abolish our LegCo?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 2:44pm

South Australia requires a House of Review. Abolition would place it in the same place as Queensland that only has one house of Parliament.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:10pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 2:44pm:
South Australia requires a House of Review. Abolition would place it in the same place as Queensland that only has one house of Parliament.

What if there was proportional representation in the Lower House? Would you accept abolition on this condition?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:25pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:10pm:

What if there was proportional representation in the Lower House? Would you accept abolition on this condition?

Nope.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:38pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:25pm:

Nope.

If we're talking about a house of review, would you support a LegCo that is made up of appointed persons consisting of local experts, such as doctors, community leaders and teachers?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:04pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:38pm:
If we're talking about a house of review, would you support a LegCo that is made up of appointed persons consisting of local experts, such as doctors, community leaders and teachers?

You want an unelected House of Review to make the final decision?

Can you imagine the eventual duck-shoving when something went wrong? Plausible deniability.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:29pm

lee wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:04pm:

You want an unelected House of Review to make the final decision?

Can you imagine the eventual duck-shoving when something went wrong? Plausible deniability.

Problem easily solved: reduce the power of the LegCo so that it can only delay bills instead of blocking them.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:51pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:29pm:
Problem easily solved: reduce the power of the LegCo so that it can only delay bills instead of blocking them.

Not much of a House Of Review is it.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 11:18pm

lee wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:51pm:
Auggie wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:29pm:

Not much of a House Of Review is it.

In fact, I believe it would be more of a House of Review than the status quo. If it's a House of 'Review' then it should only review legislation and make recommendations; not block Bills. In the current system, because both Houses of Parliament are elected by the people, both Houses can (and do) claim an equal mandate from the people. For e.g. if the Assembly passes a Bill and the Council rejects it, then whose fault is it? Whom do we blame for deadlock? Do we blame the Government, or do we blame the Legislative Council? The parliamentary system of government is known primarily for its efficiency, rather than checks and balances. The lower House contains the Government and is the House closest to the people who choose it. Therefore, I believe that the lower House should be able to pass its agenda because the people have voted that government in.

Having a weakened upper House is actually quite effective: drawing on the experience of the United Kingdom, the House of Lords can delay passage of Bills for one year. This is a significant period of time, and often disrupts the Government's agenda. In such case, the Government either has to wait one full year to pass the Bill in its original format, or consider the recommendations of the House of Lords. In practice, however, the House of Lords often passes the majority of Government Bills because disrupting the will of the popular House is very controversial and is detrimental to the institution of the House of Lords.

In the case of South Australia's Legislative Council, I would reduce the delaying time to 9 months, at which point if the Assembly repasses it, the Bill becomes a law. Second, I would remove life-time appointment, and institute a single term of 12 years for each member (they shall not be re-eligible), thereby ensuring both continuity and rotation. Third, I would restrict the size of the Council to be no greater than one-third the size of the Assembly, so that it is small and of minimal expense. Finally I would restrict the salaries of members of the Council to be no more than one-half of that given to members of the Assembly; the lower salary is designed to discourage ambitious people who covet political office, thereby placing greater emphasis on the neutrality of the Council. Overall, the expense of maintaining such a House would be significantly lower than it is currently.

The Council would be able to make recommendations and changes to the Bill, which task is in line with the 'review' aspect of the House. The expertise of community leaders, teachers and other experienced people would ensure that all legislation receives a neutral, non-political and professional review, which enhances scrutiny over legislation. And if, the Legislative Council disapproves of the Bill, which the Government is determined to pass, then after 9 months, the House of Assembly shall have the final say and will be ultimately accountable to the electorate for passing that legislation.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 8:05pm

Nope.

Nope.

It is obvious you know nothing about the history of the Legislative Council in South Australia.  Find out about it before you put your foot in your mouth again.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 9:04pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 8:05pm:

Nope.

Nope.

It is obvious you know nothing about the history of the Legislative Council in South Australia.  Find out about it before you put your foot in your mouth again.   Roll Eyes

What does my proposal for change have to do with the history of the Legislative Council of South Australia?

Are you implying that reforms should not be implemented because they are not in accordance with tradition, history and convention?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 10:45pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 9:04pm:

Nope.

Nope.

What does my proposal for change have to do with the history of the Legislative Council of South Australia?

Are you implying that reforms should not be implemented because they are not in accordance with tradition, history and convention?

Nope.  However, "tradition, history and convention," help determine if people will adopt them.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 11:20pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 10:45pm:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.  However, "tradition, history and convention," help determine if people will adopt them.   Roll Eyes

So, would you be able to explain what your point is, and how it relates to my supposed ignorance of the history of SA's Legislative Council?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 11:47pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 11:20pm:

Nope.

Nope.

So, would you be able to explain what your point is, and how it relates to my supposed ignorance of the history of SA's Legislative Council?

The Legislative Council was once elected on a property franchise and was composed exclusively of the privileged elite of the Adelaide Club.  This only changed in the early 1960s.  The people of South Australia remember this.   You're proposing a return to that paradigm.  Your proposal is dead in the water before it even gets started...   Roll Eyes

That is why you should learn something about the history before you post your rubbish. 

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 9:41am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 11:47pm:
Auggie wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 11:20pm:

Nope.

Nope.

The Legislative Council was once elected on a property franchise and was composed exclusively of the privileged elite of the Adelaide Club.  This only changed in the early 1960s.  The people of South Australia remember this.   You're proposing a return to that paradigm.  Your proposal is dead in the water before it even gets started...   Roll Eyes

That is why you should learn something about the history before you post your rubbish. 

What I have proposed is completely different to the original composition of the Legislative Council (i.e. what you have said above). I refer to the post in reply to Lee. If you read that, you will better understand what my proposal is, and realize that it isn't 'rubbish.'  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2016 at 3:38pm by Auggie »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print