Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
What is more confronting - speedos or the burqa? (Read 3943 times)
rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: What is more confronting - speedos or the burqa?
Reply #30 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:41pm

Also, the arrest had nothing to do with wearing speedos in public, the 9 were arrested for public nuisance, disrespecting the Malaysian flag. So most of you are arguing a null point.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 10:18pm

It's far easier to hide a bomb under a burqa.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #32 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 1:02am

.. but not under a bikini, either...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #33 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:03am

lee wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 10:18pm:

Yes but that wasn't the question.

I never considered either of the two Burkqa's I have seen this decade likely to be concealing a bomb thus they were not confronting in any way.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #34 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:16am

The question needs to be, what assumptions can easily be made about people who wear Speedos or people who wear Burqas.

For people who wear Speedos, it would be hard to pin them down to any particular religion or political ideology from merely their wearing of that swimwear. The wearing of Speedos generally indicates a desire to go swimming.

The Burqa on the other hand, you'd be right about 99.99999% of the time to assume the wearer of a burqa follows the most conservative misogynistic and most inflexible form of Islam which really has  little compatibility in liberal secular democracies.

IBI

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #35 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:26am

Gordon wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:16am:
The question needs to be, what assumptions can easily be made about people who wear Speedos or people who wear Burqas.

For people who wear Speedos, it would be hard to pin them down to any particular religion or political ideology from merely their wearing of that swimwear. The wearing of Speedos generally indicates a desire to go swimming.

The Burqa on the other hand, you'd be right about 99.99999% of the time to assume the wearer of a burqa follows the most conservative misogynistic and most inflexible form of Islam which really has  little compatibility in liberal secular democracies.

In terms of this topic though the question is do you find a person as you describe walking past to be confronting ?

Or

Do you find a chubby middle aged man in budgie smugglers waving his package in your face to be more so ?

Living in a beach suburb I know I am regularly confronted and it isn't by people wearing burqa's.

Its a no brainer.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #36 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:40am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:26am:

In terms of this topic though the question is do you find a person as you describe walking past to be confronting ?

Or

Do you find a chubby middle aged man in budgie smugglers waving his package in your face to be more so ?

Living in a beach suburb I know I am regularly confronted and it isn't by people wearing burqa's.

Its a no brainer.

I've seen a few burqas at Bondi (and many in Sth West Sydney), and I find them rather confronting in the respect that a few hundred years of human evolution has wired us to take cues about our fellow humans from facial expressions.

chubby middle aged man in budgie smugglers waving his package in your face

I'd suggest when you're at the beach, you stop fixating on body image, don't be ageist and stop staring at mens private parts, it will make for a more enjoyable day.  Hope this helps.

IBI

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #37 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:01am

Gordon wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:40am:
Dnarever wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:26am:

Or

Its a no brainer.

I've seen a few burqas at Bondi (and many in Sth West Sydney), and I find them rather confronting in the respect that a few hundred years of human evolution has wired us to take cues about our fellow humans from facial expressions.

chubby middle aged man in budgie smugglers waving his package in your face

I'd suggest when you're at the beach, you stop fixating on body image, don't be ageist and stop staring at mens private parts, it will make for a more enjoyable day.  Hope this helps.

I am in the same body age category so it isn't that. You never been sitting on a beach minding your own business and a guy walks up near you towling his back with his wobbly bits at eye level in front of your face.

ageist and stop staring at mens private parts

It is the act of needing to take action to avoid the confrontation that makes it confronting ?

The same could be said about a Burqa - just don't look then there is no perceived threat.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:07am

Do you find these confronting?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #39 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:12am

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:07am:

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/348-footy-mascots.jpg

There are a lot of potential bombers there ?

They are obviously all Muslim. Plenty to be worried about.

Just look at the smirk on that chicken.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #40 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:16am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:03am:
lee wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 10:18pm:

Yes but that wasn't the question.

I never considered either of the two Burkqa's I have seen this decade likely to be concealing a bomb thus they were not confronting in any way.

You do realise he just explain WHY he found the wearing of burkas confronting, don't you?

The fact in the 2 times you have seen them you have not, is somewhat irrelevant, isn't it?

You must live one white-arsed suburb to only have seen two this decade.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:17am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:12am:

There are a lot of potential bombers there ?

They are obviously all Muslim. Plenty to be worried about.

Just look at the smirk on that chicken.

This Muslim isn't wearing any pants.

That must be very confronting for poor old Gordy.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #42 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:19am

The morning calling of the reductio cretin. Well done.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:20am

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 8:22am

matty wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 2:09pm:
The 'law argument' is the entire point. If it's okay for Muslim countries to ban things like speedos, then why isn't it okay for us to ban the burqa?

Because we value freedom, while many muslim countries don't.

Do you really want to regress to the moral equivalency of the worst places on earth Matty?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print