Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gambling Verses Legalising Illicit Drugs (Read 1952 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: Gambling Verses Legalising Illicit Drugs
Reply #30 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:41pm

rhino wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:21pm:
____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 10:31pm:
rhino wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 10:13pm:
____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 9:59pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 9:56pm:
____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 9:51pm:
Treating adults as children, don't believe it's a long term solution

Are aboriginals already accessing illicit drugs?
Perhaps illicit drug use is a part of the reasons for the extreme rates of Aboriginal incarceration.

Not at all. The reason is because they broke the law.

Statics would suggest that racial profiling is influencing the extreme rate.

No, statistics dont reflect that at all. Aboriginals are more likely to be imprisioned because they are more likely to break the law.

A while back, living in Waterloo, I regularly used Redfern Station. The police constantly harassed me because of my Aboriginal looks. When Caucasian friends where with me, they were never harassed.
I was not breaking laws, I never reacted to the harassment, and I was never doing anything suspicious.

Obviously a constant statistical error, rather than racial profiling.

But we are talking about incarceration, you werent incarcerated. Racially profiled because from experience the coppers know there are many more aboriginal offenders in redfern. You werent incarcerated because you werent an offender. see the way it works?

That's a circular argument. If you racial profile, there has to be a higher incarceration rate because of that racial profiling.

I didn't react because I already had heard of the racism within the police at Redfern.

Like the aboriginal child the Police chased in Waterloo and the kid ended up being impaled because of the chase. Then the police denied chasing and so the Block erupted because of the police lie.
More aboriginals to jail because they broke the law aye !

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #31 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:48pm

rhino wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:25pm:
____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 10:59pm:

Can you give evidence to show a similar situation, where non aboriginal kids were tear gassed, locked up in their cells.
Sure I can. the Banksia juvenile detention centre riots in W.A.

Quote:
and as we know, things like this happen to non aboriginals all the time :

Australian Aboriginal prisoner 'cooked to death' in van

Security guards failed to check on man who died travelling 250 miles in back of van in 47C heat

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jun/14/australia-aborigine-cooked-prison-...
The reason this happened was because of negligence, the prisoner wasnt targeted because he was aboriginal. The fact is that aboriginals commit most of the crime in these areas so they are much more likely to be travelling in the back of a prison van.

There is no fact that Aboriginals commit most of the crime. Most of those incarcerated are Aboriginal. Not all crime is policed in the same way.

Crime rates don't include those that are not caught or not prosecuted.. And do include those that get framed for crimes they don't commit.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 12:06am

____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:48pm:

Can you give evidence to show a similar situation, where non aboriginal kids were tear gassed, locked up in their cells.

Quote:

Security guards failed to check on man who died travelling 250 miles in back of van in 47C heat

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jun/14/australia-aborigine-cooked-prison-...
The reason this happened was because of negligence, the prisoner wasnt targeted because he was aboriginal. The fact is that aboriginals commit most of the crime in these areas so they are much more likely to be travelling in the back of a prison van.

There is no fact that Aboriginals commit most of the crime. Most of those incarcerated are Aboriginal. Not all crime is policed in the same way.

Crime rates don't include those that are not caught or not prosecuted.. And do include those that get framed for crimes they don't commit.
You are posting on emotion and make no sense. There is no evidence that aboriginal people are being targeted simply because they are aboriginal and they do commit most of the crime in northern areas of W.A. Thats just a fact. Claiming that they are somehow "framed" is ridiculous. aboriginal people need to start taking responsibility, violence is culturally endemic in their communities.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 12:09am

____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:41pm:

That's a circular argument. If you racial profile, there has to be a higher incarceration rate because of that racial profiling.
The higher incarceration rate is because of the higher crime rate. Coppers racially profile because it works. No ones setting anyone up. You just need to admit the facts here, Aboriginals crime rate is through the roof compared to other groups, they arent being picked on.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #34 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 5:54am

rhino wrote on Oct 2nd, 2016 at 12:06am:
____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:48pm:

Quote:

You are posting on emotion and make no sense. There is no evidence that aboriginal people are being targeted simply because they are aboriginal and they do commit most of the crime in northern areas of W.A. Thats just a fact. Claiming that they are somehow "framed" is ridiculous. aboriginal people need to start taking responsibility, violence is culturally endemic in their communities.

Wasn't aware we were only speaking about a region within one state.

Aboriginal prison rates

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are massively overrepresented in the criminal justice system of Australia.
Aboriginal people represent only 3% of the total population, yet more than 28% of Australia’s prison population are Aboriginal.

28% Percentage of Aboriginal prisoners in Australia in 2015 [46].

30% Percentage of all incarcerated women in Australia who were Aboriginal in 2010; of incarcerated men: 24% [24].

48% Percentage of juveniles in custody who are Aboriginal [32].

58.6% Percentage by which imprisonment rates increased for Aboriginal women between 2000 and 2010; for Aboriginal men: 35.2%, non-Aboriginal women: 22.4%, non-Aboriginal men: 3.6% [24].

14.8 Factor by which Aboriginal people across Australia are more likely to be imprisoned than non-Aboriginal people [34]. Same figure for WA: 20 times.

6.7% Incarceration rate of Aboriginal men in Western Australia in 2008. Same rate for Aboriginal women: 0.6%; for African-American women in the US: 0.5% [33].

https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/law/aboriginal-prison-rates

This is not down to being born Aboriginal and so being born a criminal.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #35 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 6:04am

rhino wrote on Oct 2nd, 2016 at 12:09am:
____ wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:41pm:

The higher incarceration rate is because of the higher crime rate. Coppers racially profile because it works. No ones setting anyone up. You just need to admit the facts here, Aboriginals crime rate is through the roof compared to other groups, they arent being picked on.

Victoria Police admits racial profiling a problem

The Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Ken Lay had maintained racial profiling wasn't a problem.

But community feedback for the review has changed his mind.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-31/victoria-police-admits-racial-profiling-a-...

So we all agree, racial profiling is alive and occurring.

Yet only one person here thinks it's ok. Why is that Rhino?

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 10:11am

I think the time has come to sought out the drug use problem, and any other contentious issues.

Lets cut all funding to Tasmania and let that state legalise everything.

Pretty much you can do what you like down there,,, but dont expect the rest of society pay for it.

Lets see how a society can operate with no rules.

I see this as a win win.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print