Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fun and idiocy from the SA Blackout (Read 6970 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Fun and idiocy from the SA Blackout
Reply #30 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 5:27pm

hawil wrote on Sep 30th, 2016 at 3:56pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:03pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 4:44pm:
The blackout showed a few things about SA preparedness for power failure.... NONE

1) the police's very bright suggestion was to 'keep your phone charged since the power will be off a long time'. How pray do we recharge it when there isn't alive powerpoint in the entire state? I used one of our laptops to keep mine charged.

2) Watch ABC for news on the blackout... on my pedal-powered TV

3) adelaide airport, knowing 2 days in advance of possible power problems cranks up its emergency generators only to find half of them dont work.

4) not a solitary set of traffic lights in the entire city has a UPS

5) 'keep your phone charged' #2.  Four hours into the blackout most of the mobile phone towers run out of battery power so very difficult to get a signal anyhow.

6) Adelaide hospitals condition is unknown because.... their phone system isnt working. No generators????

7) SA Water was unable to pump water and sewerage so if you are uphill from your water source... limited supplies.

8) the 000 network crashed - no power.

9) the Adelaide newspaper had to get the paper printed... in Victoria

dear Longy,

Jay Weatherill - the SA Labor premier must resign.

He has to do the right thing.

Jay will never resign, he'll hang in there as long as he can.
Unfortunately his government is stacked with people who have no qualification for the job; Jack Snelling, minister for health, the minister for transport, Steven Mullighan,  he has a senior adviser for transport who has no more qualification than I,because we did the same work, and so it goes on.
That the generator failed at Flinders, is probably the result of the Australian behaviour; she'll be alright mate; as there was clear weather warnings, the generator should have been thoroughly checked.

Here is how Australian politicians are rated:
Have the politicians of Australia the know-how and will to change the tax and social system to be more egalitarian, or was the late Professor A.J.Marshall right when he wrote, as quoted in the book “Equality and Authority” by S Encel on page212: “Most Australian politicians, he wrote, aspire to parliamentary seats ‘to better their salary, to inflate their egos and feather their nests’.

How many hospitals in Victoria regularly test their backup generators?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #31 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 12:12am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 30th, 2016 at 5:27pm:

I would hope all of them.  How many are successful in the change over to the generator on "the day"?  No idea but I suspect a percentage fail.  I have worked with Government Departments which regularly tested their Generators.  On "the day" a percentage always failed.   Nothing is foolproof.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #32 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 2:20am

Especially when it is run by government bureaucracy.

Not that I thing 'Privatisation' does any better.
Quite the opposite in fact.

Proper governance should be all about improving the lot of the constituents. How long has THAT been important to government?

Once upon a time, I remember when............

live every day

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #33 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 2:30am

Emma wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 2:20am:
Especially when it is run by government bureaucracy.

Not that I thing 'Privatisation' does any better.
Quite the opposite in fact.

Proper governance should be all about improving the lot of the constituents. How long has THAT been important to government?

Once upon a time, I remember when............

Who wants to be responsible? Not GovCo. Outsourcing is about shifting responsibility. The less the Pollies can be held to account the better.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #34 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 2:43am

Absolutely.
Governments now see themselves as facilitators... Roll Eyes, not actual doers but as agents between the populace and the businesses that supply the necessary product for the people.
Its a fail, fail, IMO. Sad .

live every day

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #35 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 7:53am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 12:12am:

I would hope all of them.  How many are successful in the change over to the generator on "the day"?  No idea but I suspect a percentage fail.  I have worked with Government Departments which regularly tested their Generators.  On "the day" a percentage always failed.   Nothing is foolproof.   Roll Eyes

An enquiry may reveal that they weren't tested in Adelaide -

let's wait & see.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #36 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:33pm

Haven't been watching the Schmews lately on Aus TV. Have the pollies given it up as a bad line ?

live every day

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #37 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 12:06am

The week-long blackouts in Rockhampton, post-cyclone Marcia, meant that emergency power had to be restored in critical areas like the hospital, police, ambulance, and government/council buildings. A nurse at the Mater hospital made a plea that the generators in the hospital had only a few hours worth of diesel fuel left. Anyone that had diesel fuel to spare would be greatly appreciated that the hospital be donated some fuel. I did not live in a high priority suburb. I went without power the whole week and was content to having BBQ cooked sausages and gas burner boiled vegetables for my meals. I had no work or anything to do for the week. Though, I did get through a couple books in my extensive reading collection.

Adelaide could go without power for a week before they are entitled to complain. Areas of town were still without power for a fortnight, and they survived quite okay.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #38 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 5:04pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 7:53am:
Brian Ross wrote on Oct 1st, 2016 at 12:12am:

An enquiry may reveal that they weren't tested in Adelaide -

Of course they are "tested in Adelaide".  They are regularly tested "on site" where they are.  Stop being foolish.

Quote:
let's wait & see.

Yes, lets do that instead of sounding off all the time!   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print