Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fun and idiocy from the SA Blackout (Read 6979 times)
philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: Fun and idiocy from the SA Blackout
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:14pm

stunspore wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:02pm:
juliar wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 6:52pm:
Yet another disgraceful Labor failure.

Reminds you of the many failures of the Krudd/Gillard/Krudd abortion.

Yet another disgraceful coalition attempt at putting blame.  Although explained and from the likes of the power industry itself, coalition and their supporters are deluded if they think the rest of the country will fall for their propaganda. 

How could the PM get it so wrong....Turnbull blamed renewable energy despite the transmission line coming down....Electricity could be generated but it could not be transmitted....Turnbull has certainly been a disapointment???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:22pm

philperth2010 wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:14pm:

Yet another disgraceful coalition attempt at putting blame.  Although explained and from the likes of the power industry itself, coalition and their supporters are deluded if they think the rest of the country will fall for their propaganda. 

How could the PM get it so wrong....Turnbull blamed renewable energy despite the transmission line coming down....Electricity could be generated but it could not be transmitted....Turnbull has certainly been a disapointment???

what?

one power line comes down and a whole state goes out???

something that has not happened since power was invented in australia?

are you serious?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:29pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:22pm:

what?

are you serious?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

It was the powerline that supplies coal fired electricity from Vic which they use when renewables don't work.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #18 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:33pm

what?

are you serious?

Apparently so....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/sa-premier-jay-weatherill-say...

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:57pm

Sth Aust is an absolute disgrace.

Such poor standard of engineering design is surely criminal neglect. When will the court cases start ?

Their network was so poorly designed that it fell over at the first weather event as it had no essential redundancy built in.

Typical technically obtuse Greenie incompetence.

Mal is on the warpath incensed at being embarrassed on the international stage by such abject Greenie utter stupidity.

Greenies are just a sick disease.

Disgraced Jay Wetherill should resign immediately and call a new state election.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 9:18pm

juliar wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:57pm:

Such poor standard of engineering design is surely criminal neglect. When will the court cases start ?

Their network was so poorly designed that it fell over at the first weather event as it had no essential redundancy built in.

Typical technically obtuse Greenie incompetence.

Mal is on the warpath incensed at being embarrassed on the international stage by such abject Greenie utter stupidity.

Greenies are just a sick disease.

Disgraced Jay Wetherill should resign immediately and call a new state election.

Correct & it makes me worry about Victoria where I live &
all other States of Australia.

How well prepared are we?

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #21 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 12:30am

Good question, and a wake-up call for all of us complacent 21st century power junkies.

It would seem that off-grid battery powered ..is the way to go. Just hoping of course that a storm doesn't take you out.!

The political bull that has followed this 1 in 50 year storm is just shite. You'd need a much tougher pile of towers to prevent this from happening again. It is a matter of the expectation of profit from power generators, and how little they can get away with minimal investment in $ terms.. now we can see what we have is not good enough to face the future of bigger and more frequent storms, so it is time to get serious about what is realistic.  I know, from experience, here in QLD, what it is like to be without power for 4days straight, so all the whinging just makes me feel sorry for all the ignorant fools out there who think things will never change. WAKE UP PEOPLE, and stop blaming renewable energy supplies.  Hey.. if I didn't value my old trees and bush I'd be off-grid solar. As it is though, I hang in for conservation of the bio-diversity I have here, rather than cut down the trees for power.  Huh Roll Eyes Tongue
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2016 at 12:39am by Emma »  

live every day

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 11:00am

Emma wrote on Sep 30th, 2016 at 12:30am:
Good question, and a wake-up call for all of us complacent 21st century power junkies.

It would seem that off-grid battery powered ..is the way to go. Just hoping of course that a storm doesn't take you out.!

The political bull that has followed this 1 in 50 year storm is just shite. You'd need a much tougher pile of towers to prevent this from happening again. It is a matter of the expectation of profit from power generators, and how little they can get away with minimal investment in $ terms.. now we can see what we have is not good enough to face the future of bigger and more frequent storms, so it is time to get serious about what is realistic.  I know, from experience, here in QLD, what it is like to be without power for 4days straight, so all the whinging just makes me feel sorry for all the ignorant fools out there who think things will never change. WAKE UP PEOPLE, and stop blaming renewable energy supplies.  Hey.. if I didn't value my old trees and bush I'd be off-grid solar. As it is though, I hang in for conservation of the bio-diversity I have here, rather than cut down the trees for power.  Huh Roll Eyes Tongue

Good for you. As the solar panels decline in output they will need to be replaced, batteries as well.

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 3:56pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:03pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 4:44pm:
The blackout showed a few things about SA preparedness for power failure.... NONE

1) the police's very bright suggestion was to 'keep your phone charged since the power will be off a long time'. How pray do we recharge it when there isn't alive powerpoint in the entire state? I used one of our laptops to keep mine charged.

2) Watch ABC for news on the blackout... on my pedal-powered TV

3) adelaide airport, knowing 2 days in advance of possible power problems cranks up its emergency generators only to find half of them dont work.

4) not a solitary set of traffic lights in the entire city has a UPS

5) 'keep your phone charged' #2.  Four hours into the blackout most of the mobile phone towers run out of battery power so very difficult to get a signal anyhow.

6) Adelaide hospitals condition is unknown because.... their phone system isnt working. No generators????

7) SA Water was unable to pump water and sewerage so if you are uphill from your water source... limited supplies.

8) the 000 network crashed - no power.

9) the Adelaide newspaper had to get the paper printed... in Victoria

dear Longy,

Jay Weatherill - the SA Labor premier must resign.

He has to do the right thing.

Jay will never resign, he'll hang in there as long as he can.
Unfortunately his government is stacked with people who have no qualification for the job; Jack Snelling, minister for health, the minister for transport, Steven Mullighan,  he has a senior adviser for transport who has no more qualification than I,because we did the same work, and so it goes on.
That the generator failed at Flinders, is probably the result of the Australian behaviour; she'll be alright mate; as there was clear weather warnings, the generator should have been thoroughly checked.

Here is how Australian politicians are rated:
Have the politicians of Australia the know-how and will to change the tax and social system to be more egalitarian, or was the late Professor A.J.Marshall right when he wrote, as quoted in the book “Equality and Authority” by S Encel on page212: “Most Australian politicians, he wrote, aspire to parliamentary seats ‘to better their salary, to inflate their egos and feather their nests’.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 4:01pm

lee wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:33pm:
John Smith wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:16pm:
actually it seems they were well prepared. Power out across the whole state and not one death. Longies list has already had enough holes shot through it to sink it, I'm not surprised you missed that bit.

Bobby. wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:11pm:
It's obvious that Jay is not running the state properly -
SA was not prepared for an emergency.

actually it seems they were well prepared. Power out across the whole state and not one death. Longies list has already had enough holes shot through it to sink it, I'm not surprised you missed that bit.

So you count well prepared on the number of fatalities? Wink

it's certainly one indicator ... 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #25 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 4:06pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:29pm:

what?

are you serious?

It was the powerline that supplies coal fired electricity from Vic which they use when renewables don't work.

The wankers are sort of right when the say don't blame renewables; simple because renewables are not base load power and SA gets their base load from victoria and the duel powerlines that transmit their power sh1ts itself then it is is the fault of the power lines not renewables; sort of.

The real cause of their problems id that they relied on renewables instead of maintaining base load power close to where they need it, not being transmitted hundreds of kilometers from another state

It is lies and obfuscation, but SA made a stupid decision going green and they are sticking to it.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 4:07pm

longweekend58 wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 6:18pm:
If we were well prepared we wouldn't have had the ENTIRE state blacked out for 6 hours and some sections blacked out yet again. We would have had proper backup power plans - like it used to be when I worked for ETSA.

they did have back ups ... they failed. It doesn't mean the govt. wasn't prepared.

If we were well-prepared, Adelaide Airport would have at least tested (and prepared) their backup generators.

adelaide airport is run by a private company, not the govt.

If we were well prepared our hospitals would have kept the PHONES ON.

why?? you calling to bother them is not their highest priority when there is a blackout

If we were well-prepared, 000 would not have gone down. Someone would have remembered to put a generator there!

telephone infrastructure is owned and run by private companies, not the govt.

If we were well-prepared we would have at least had major intersections with UPS supplies on traffic lights.
stay home

If we were well-prepared we wouldnt have Police embarrassing themselves by telling us 'to keep our phones charged' without power and as the internet and mobile services crumbled.

it's not the govt's fault you have South Australians are idiots.

'fatalities' is not how we measure preparedness.

certainly a better indicator than whether or not you can phone the hospital reception  Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 4:08pm

One of the many benefits of privatisation . Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 5:06pm

John Smith wrote on Sep 30th, 2016 at 4:01pm:
lee wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:33pm:

Bobby. wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:11pm:
It's obvious that Jay is not running the state properly -
SA was not prepared for an emergency.

So you count well prepared on the number of fatalities? Wink

it's certainly one indicator ... 

Yes. "the operation was a success; but the patient died" type of indicator.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 5:23pm

John Smith wrote on Sep 30th, 2016 at 4:08pm:

One of the many benefits of privatization . Cheesy Cheesy

exaccarry

privatisation means three things and three things only.

1) Higher cost.
2) Lower service and deteriorating infrastructure.
3) Brown paper bags for Politicians and Public serve us.

Id love to see the bank balance of the ones who did the deal on the lottery.
Ill bet they are swimming in brown paper bags full of cash.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print