Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A$ could fall 10% if Trump elected (Read 795 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

A$ could fall 10% if Trump elected
Sep 28th, 2016 at 4:15pm

Trump's policies are inflationary which could see a 10% surge in US$. This is not so bad if other currencies don't rise with US$.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/markets/australian-dollar/australian-dollar-tippe...

Quote:
Australian dollar tipped to fall if Donald Trump is elected President
SEPTEMBER 27, 20161:56PM

Currency analysts have crunched the numbers on a Trump presidency. Picture: Evan Vucci

THE Australian dollar could fall up to 10 per cent if US Republican candidate Donald Trump wins the US presidency in November, according to Commonwealth Bank’s currency strategists.

Mr Trump’s main economic policies, including major income and company tax cuts, government spending and tariffs, are “very inflationary”, CBA currency strategists Richard Grace, Elias Haddad, Joseph Capurso and Wei Li say in a research note.
“We believe US bond yields and the US equity market will lift on the company tax cut, and the US dollar will surge higher,” they said.

A 10 per cent jump in the US dollar will be driven by investors chasing higher returns on their investments, which in turn could see the Aussie fall by 10 per cent to around 68.71 cents.
However, if the Democrats control the Congress, the impact on currencies would be less, the CBA’s currency strategists said.

The first US presidential debate between Mr Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton is set to take place on Monday night in the US, around 11am on Tuesday.

Recent polls suggest Ms Clinton is still the favourite to win the presidency, but her lead over Mr Trump is shrinking, according to CBA, which cites FiveThirtyEight.com.

If elected, Mr Trump has vowed to sharply cut income taxes to lift household and business spending, and to reduce business tax to 15 per cent from its current scaled variable rate of between 15 to 35 per cent.

“The US economy would grow at a more rapid rate given household consumption accounts for 70 per cent of US GDP (gross domestic product),” CBA’s currency strategists said.

Mr Trump also proposes to boost infrastructure spending and to remove regulations that inhibit job growth.
The controversial businessman also plans to lift a raft of environmental restrictions that inhibit energy investment, to label China as a “currency manipulator”, renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and apply tariffs and duties to countries that cheat.

Americans will head to the polls on November 8 to elect the next president and members of the US House of Representatives and the Senate. The election results will be out a day later.

At 7am on Tuesday, the Australian dollar was trading at 76.35 US cents, up from 76.18 cents on Monday.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: A$ could fall 10% if Trump elected
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 9:19pm

I'm quietly confident that the 2020s could be Australia's golden era. But, for now, I don't see how a US68c/Aus$1 could be disastrous for Australia. We will see how the mining industry goes next year, to complement better returns alongside out primary industries.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 9:26pm

so basically..

if the Septic Tanks vote for Trump their economy will be stronger with more growth..

why would you vote for that lying, thieving and murderous witch Hillary Clinton then?

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 10:23pm

Trump is against free trade deals -

it robs people of their jobs -

they can't compete with 3rd world countries
that pay workers 50 cents an hour.

We might do the same here as we only ever copy other countries -
especially the USA.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 7:27am

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 28th, 2016 at 9:19pm:
I'm quietly confident that the 2020s could be Australia's golden era. But, for now, I don't see how a US68c/Aus$1 could be disastrous for Australia. We will see how the mining industry goes next year, to complement better returns alongside out primary industries.

Don't know about a golden era anywhere but 68 cents would be a good thing.
Unforgivable likes scary headlines.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 10:13am

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 28th, 2016 at 9:19pm:

It's been much lower & we survived.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 10:36am

It really depends what Trump will be able to do.   
- If he starts a trade war with China, then immediately our biggest and second biggest export market would be in trouble.  And that will mean the dollar probably fall to round more realistically 50c/$1.
- If he starts a war with Iran (aka by proxy with Russia), and/or Korea (aka by proxy with China), would mean that Australia will have to put trillions in as well,as part of the coalition of the 'willing".   This would blow a massive hole in our budget, increasing our foreign debt (towards various US banks)
- If he is able to do both or part of the above, plus he is able to build a mexican border wall, plus give tax breaks to big companies - like the ones he owned - then, I think.... with the current debt situation in USA, this would cause hyper inflation (reduction of cheap imports), debt crisis, and possibly another recession in USA. 

Perhaps, starting hoarding up long life milks, canned food, and gold bars.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2016 at 12:43pm by tickleandrose »  

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 10:39am

Yes Tickle

we've put all our eggs in the Chinese basket

bloody stupidity

driven by greed & sell out politicians & landholders.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 1:09pm

We still have good market share in other Asian countries - Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia in particular.
China was mainly important for coal & iron but that was going to end sometime.

Trump is not going to start a war with anybody. He's a deal maker remember.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 4:14pm

A far more likely scenario is that if Trump were elected, the american dollar would dive and ours would rise.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:39pm

I think Unconvincing has got the storey wrong.

US inflation would devalue the US Dollar would it not?

Which would make the A$ worth more, which would be bad for our exports,,,, would it not?

Which gives Unco 3 strikes.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:57pm

miketrees wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:39pm:
I think Unconvincing has got the storey wrong.

US inflation would devalue the US Dollar would it not?

Which would make the A$ worth more, which would be bad for our exports,,,, would it not?

Which gives Unco 3 strikes.

Mike Trees fails the comprehension test. The article said the US $ would rise by 10% based on Trump's policies of corporate tax cuts.

Higher US$ means imported goods to USA are cheaper which is deflationary which counterbalances tariffs on imported goods which are inflationary.

This exemplifies why Mike Trees has to work in the NT. Lack of elementary economic knowledge and lack of comprehension skills.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 6:06pm

Well I must have misread it.

So the US $ will go up,,, but that is a good thing for our exports?

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 6:09pm

I see what I did.

I automatically assumed the Aussie$ devaluing was a good thing because I have been tied to being an exporter.

While scummy city based people are only worried about the price of TVs etc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print