Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Western Australian economy in deep recession (Read 1229 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Western Australian economy in deep recession
Sep 28th, 2016 at 3:25pm

Bad news for WA; bad news for Australia; bad news for real estate bubble.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-recessionary-horror-of-the-western-austral...

Quote:
The recessionary horror of the Western Australian economy

Western Australia is in a deep and increasingly nasty recession. There are no signs that the economy is near a bottom which is disconcerting. The plunge in mining investment and the slump in commodity prices have hit WA hard and the economic scorecard is, quite simply, miserable.

Here are a few cold, hard facts about WA and Perth.

During 2008, the unemployment rate in WA fell to a stunning low of 2.3 per cent. After a temporary rise with the GFC, the unemployment rate was 3.5 per cent during 2012. This was the lowest in Australia by a large margin. Most recently, unemployment spiked to 6.3 per cent which is now third highest in Australia, behind only South Australia and Tasmania. Since the middle of 2015, there has been no increase in employment levels.

State final demand, which is effectively GDP excluding net exports, peaked in September 2012 and since then, has been trending lower. From that peak, State final demand has slumped 13.2 per cent. While exports of iron ore and other commodities are strong and adding to activity in WA, from the perspective of private and public sector spending and investment, the economy is going backwards.

Consumers in WA are in a funk, with the value of retail sales lower now than in November last year. The number of dwelling approvals has fallen by 40 per cent from the 2014 peak which is undermining construction activity.

The housing market is depressed. Since peaking in early 2015, house prices have fallen by over 10 per cent and they show no signs of bottoming. The rental vacancy rate has risen to its highest rate in over 25 years with a glut of property. As a result, dwelling rents are falling and over the past year, rents have fallen by 5 per cent. This is the first time since the early 1990s recession that rents have actually fallen.

This check-list of economic news points to the WA economy in dire straits. With the domestic economy shrinking, the unemployment rate is set to rise further. While ever this is happening, house prices are likely to fall further which risks creating a deflationary spiral of falling economic activity, further rises in unemployment, further house price weakness and so it goes.

It is not clear what can be done in the near term to arrest the decline. Interest rates are set by the RBA for the country as a whole and WA is being held back with monetary policy being too tight. So too for the Australian dollar which, for WA, is too high even though it is well down from the peak levels above parity.

The State government could use fiscal policy to kick-start the economy, but its inept handling of the budget and the economy during the upswing in the commodity price boom is constraining its ability to borrow and invest. It’s shoddy credit rating means it has to pay a higher interest rate than soundly rated borrowers.

It looks like WA will have a tough year ahead with every possibility that the unemployment rate will hit 7 per cent, or more, and that house prices will register a peak to trough fall of somewhere between 15 and 20 per cent.
Oh now the once mighty have fallen.

Stephen Koukoulas is a Yahoo7 Finance expert with more than 25 years experience as an economist in government, as Global Head of economic and market research, as Chief Economist for two major banks and as economic advisor to the Prime Minister of Australia.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Western Australian economy in deep recession
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 1:27am

Geez... How are us East Coasters supposed to rob Perth of all that $1.4 trillion dollars that only W.A. produces for us to live on in our dole bludging way?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:46am

Always was, but it was masked by the apparent prosperity of a few.... Banana Republics are like that.... while all this big talk of 'mining booms' was going on, countless people had no jobs and not much job security.

It was all lies... all lies.........

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 8:35am

hang on, it can't be ... aren't the economic messiahs in government over there?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 7:01pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:46am:
Always was, but it was masked by the apparent prosperity of a few.... Banana Republics are like that.... while all this big talk of 'mining booms' was going on, countless people had no jobs and not much job security.

It was all lies... all lies.........

Even Colin Barnett was famously documented forever as never wanting to call it a 'a boom' but rather 'an uptick in one corner of the economy'. Forgive me,... I think I partially para-phrased that last quote becoz i don't friigin care lol not but yeh  Roll Eyes

The kids didn't even get fibre internet: what  af********* nasty country this has become! It all got blown on the paper tiger tryhard upper middle class voter and then the world melted  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 7:04pm

John Smith wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 8:35am:
hang on, it can't be ... aren't the economic messiahs in government over there?

All dressed in copper plated sputum for eternity:  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Go the diggers who died for this country  Cry

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print