Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Underage marriage in Australia (Read 7504 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Underage marriage in Australia
Sep 20th, 2016 at 6:56am

Wait up a sec, someone told me it can't happen here.

Just heard a story on ABC radio that a help hotline is being swamped with calls regarding underage girls being sent overseas for marriage, one recently aged 9.

Link to come...

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Underage marriage in Australia
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:06am

Brad Hazzard described it as 'a tsunami of child brides' going overseas to marry.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:10am

Mr Hazzard also says
religious imams need to be involved in educating their local communities about the issue.

Reports of child bride problem in Sydney

A growing number of Sydney girls, some as young as nine, are reportedly being taken overseas and forced to become child brides.

More than 70 cases have been reported to the government-run child protection helpline over the past two years, the Daily Telegraph says.

Most of the tip-offs have come from teachers, counsellors and school principals.

NSW Family and Community Services Minister Brad Hazzard has told the paper the "barbaric and cruel" practice has prompted him to call on the federal government to take action.

Mr Hazzard also says religious imams need to be involved in educating their local communities about the issue.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national/nsw/2016/09/20/reports-of-child-bride-pr...

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:14am

its sickening isnt it.. so ,much for multiculturalism working..

this is obscene as far as I am concerned....and I hope the people involved are dealt with especially any MAN that would actually marry them....this is a disgrace to our culture.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:16am

It's the "religious Imams" who are promoting/pushing this issue.

Most of them are imported .... not home grown.

In reality they have probably been the biggest problem in radicalisation & fundamentalism in Islam in Australia

and the world.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:30am

cods wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:14am:

this is obscene as far as I am concerned....and I hope the people involved are dealt with especially any MAN that would actually marry them....this is a disgrace to our culture.

What do you think of people who purport to be very knowledgeable of these communities and state emphatically that it just doesn't happen and if it ever does its exceedingly rare, then go on to mock the person who posted a link about it?

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:34am

Here's a good one from another post.

I kid you not, Gordon. We fleshed this one out for around 40 pages. It turned out the "Muslim child brides" were really small-town kids shacking up together.

FD will tell you. He’ll evade, of course, but you’re always free to ask.

Freeeeedom, innit.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1469708948/4#4

IBI

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:43am

What the... It cannot be happening, Karnals hairdresser said it was illegal. 

Maybe that's why they go overseas? Cunning no?

Ladies and gentlemen let the apologism begin.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:57am

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:43am:

When  I posted this link, Karnal repeatedly mocked me for claiming it's happening, and asking me to prove it, and throwing the line 'tip of the iceberg' back at me.

BTW Dr Eman Sharobeem, a former child bride is the foremost expert  in this area.

Dr Eman Sharobeem, the chief executive of the Immigrant Women's Health Services, said reported cases of underage marriages were "just the tip of the iceberg".

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/child-bride-19yearold-man-charged-over-wedding-to-15ye...

IBI

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:59am

Gordon wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:57am:
Secret Wars wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:43am:

When  I posted this link, Karnal repeatedly mocked me for claiming it's happening, and asking me to prove it, and throwing the line 'tip of the iceberg' back at me.

BTW Dr Eman Sharobeem, a former child bride is the foremost expert  in this area.

Dr Eman Sharobeem, the chief executive of the Immigrant Women's Health Services, said reported cases of underage marriages were "just the tip of the iceberg".

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/child-bride-19yearold-man-charged-over-wedding-to-15ye...

Karnal needs to spend less than 14 hours a day posting repetitive sound bites to a forum and step outside once in a while.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 9:45am

Gordon wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:30am:
cods wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 7:14am:

What do you think of people who purport to be very knowledgeable of these communities and state emphatically that it just doesn't happen and if it ever does its exceedingly rare, then go on to mock the person who posted a link about it?

I do my best to "IGNORE" the ignorant gordy why give them the time of day and the pleasure in letting them know you even bother to read them

there are only a few on here who have not a thing to say only common rubbish they repeat over and over I mean there are just so many way you can say..

thooopid isnt there... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. its a shame but nothing you can do to prevent.. thooopid from leaving his/her cage..

although I must admit it seems to be a male thing... maybe puberty does something to the brain and they never move on from their late engagement with it. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.. they thought it would never happen so when it finally did they hung on.. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 12:44pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 6:56am:

Just heard a story on ABC radio that a help hotline is being swamped with calls regarding underage girls being sent overseas for marriage, one recently aged 9.

Link to come...

Is Gordon buying or selling?

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 1:31pm

ABC..

'Tsunami' of young girls forced to marry overseas, NSW Government warns

School principals and teachers have reported girls as young as nine being taken overseas, where they are forced to marry, the New South Wales Government has said.

Family and Community Services (FACS) Minister Brad Hazzard said there have been around 70 cases of girls being forced to marry overseas reported to the FACS telephone hotline since July 2014.

"There is no doubt that there is a tsunami of young girls, some as young as nine, who are being taken overseas and being forced to become child brides," Mr Hazzard said.

"And quite simply the Baird Government is saying to those communities, 'this is Australia you are living in and you must acknowledge our laws and protect our children.'

"Many of these young children are ending up in our youth refuges in many parts of NSW."

Mr Hazzard said the Muslim community needed to be vocal opponents against the practice.

The imams in the Muslim community need to speak up more and indeed any other religious leaders in communities who might pursue this practice," he said.

"Each of these young people, who are being threatened, are obviously at grave risk from their families if they do not comply.

"I have been advised some feel even suicidal if they are not living up to their parents' expectations."
Community 'silent' on arranged marriages

Muslims Australia president Keysar Trad said he is shocked by the reports.

"I know we have had a campaign for a long time to educate people that one of the conditions for a marriage to be valid under Islamic teachings is consent," Mr Trad said.

"For anybody to force a young lady or a young man into a marriage against their will is wrong."

However, Arif Nabizada, an Australian-Afghan community activist from the Hazara ethnic minority group, said the issue is not openly discussed.

"A lot of things that happen in the community are quite silent," he said.

"I have not heard about any child brides to my knowledge, but what is of concern to me is the issue of arranged marriages, especially if they are forced.

"There are cases of conflict, where the 18-year-old girls are refusing to accept arranged marriages.

"I lot of people need more education to understand that forced marriages are illegal in Australia."

Mr Nabizada said there were other reasons besides cultural practice behind some arranged marriages.

"Sometimes families are trying to bring their relatives from overseas and that's because Afghanistan is one of the most dangerous places on the planet," he said.

"By marrying their sons and daughters to a relative and bringing them to Australia, they are saving at least one life."

Teachers unaware of increase

NSW Secondary Principals Council president Chris Presland said he was not aware of a recent spike, but it was an issue that principals were aware of.

"Students and their teachers have close relationships, so anything at all affecting the welfare of the student would be reported," he said.

The Opposition's family and community services spokeswoman, Tanya Mihaluk, said the practice of child brides or forced marriage was abhorrent.

"Clearly there are concerned community members or teachers contacting FACS," she said.

"Mr Hazzard needs to intervene early in providing emergency care."

Mr Hazzard said a holistic approach was needed, with better coordination by the Commonwealth.

"I am asking the Federal Government to support the state governments and territories to try and find a solution."

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 1:32pm

Unforgiven wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 12:44pm:
Gordon wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 6:56am:

Link to come...

Is Gordon buying or selling?

Mods, your opinion on this reply please?

IBI

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 1:44pm

This is a disgusting practice and needs as much coercion through community and official channels to be stopped.

I would be intersted to see the breakdown of how many young girls are married off for barbaric arrangement and how many for residency reasons.   Not that that makes it ok,  just that marriage to bring someone here away from a war torn country is far less morally and ethically challenging than marriage for pure arrangements sake.

I doubt the poor girls married off underage are for residency reasons however.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print