Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Media asleep at the wheel on stolen senate seats (Read 44710 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Media asleep at the wheel on stolen senate seats
Reply #30 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 12:52pm

Do you care Aussie?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #31 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 12:54pm

Freediver is still urging the horse forward:

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 3:24pm by Unforgiven »  

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 12:40pm

So why are you so keen to dismiss this? Do you support what they did in the Senate? Or are you like Aussie and feel compelled to announce your disinterest in certain topics?

Have you managed to come up with what you see as an equivalent failure by the media on an issue you don't consider to be a dead horse?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #33 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 12:42pm

freediver wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 12:40pm:
So why are you so keen to dismiss this? Do you support what they did in the Senate? Or are you like Aussie and feel compelled to announce your disinterest in certain topics?

Have you managed to come up with what you see as an equivalent failure by the media on an issue you don't consider to be a dead horse?

I believe you are paid for your campaigns.

As a person of undue influence in this forum Freediver should expose all his personal issues and those he is paid for.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2016 at 12:59pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #34 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 2:50pm

freediver wrote on Sep 11th, 2016 at 11:15am:
This coup has been permitted by a mainstream media that is asleep at the wheel. No major outlet reported on the Senate decision of August 31. They did report on Labor and the Coalition reaching an agreement to do this several weeks earlier. However, the reporting on this agreement simply quoted the insipid justifications given by the major parties and lacked any critical analysis or hard questions.

What exactly were you expecting FD? The actual facts of the case have been widely reported - that the 1998 and 2010 legislation was passed, but in this election the major parties agreed to use the old method. I think the Australian public are grown up enough to put two and two together. Your beef seems to be that there is not much rabid frothing at the mouth about it by the media. And yet, all the relevant facts have been reported. Exactly what sort of "critical analysis" or "hard questions" did you have in mind? "boo hoo - why are you being so unfair?"?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 3:03pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 2:50pm:
This coup has been permitted by a mainstream media that is asleep at the wheel. No major outlet reported on the Senate decision of August 31. They did report on Labor and the Coalition reaching an agreement to do this several weeks earlier. However, the reporting on this agreement simply quoted the insipid justifications given by the major parties and lacked any critical analysis or hard questions.

What exactly were you expecting FD? The actual facts of the case have been widely reported - that the 1998 and 2010 legislation was passed, but in this election the major parties agreed to use the old method. I think the Australian public are grown up enough to put two and two together. Your beef seems to be that there is not much rabid frothing at the mouth about it by the media. And yet, all the relevant facts have been reported. Exactly what sort of "critical analysis" or "hard questions" did you have in mind? "boo hoo - why are you being so unfair?"?

"Don't you care" Gandalf?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #36 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 3:26pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 3:03pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 2:50pm:

"Don't you care" Gandalf?

I care about the monopoly of the major parties - which is the root cause of these sorts of shenanigans. Unfortunately the people ultimately responsible for this is the Australian public, and there's only so many excuses you can make for them. And I don't think demanding that the media spoon feed some confected outrage is the solution here.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 3:52pm

I agree entirely.  FD is pissed off that the schmedia did not champion his particular beef, is all.  It is very easy to gauge the level of general interest in the substantive issue and FD's whinge about lack of what he reckons ought to have been a schmedia outrage.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:01pm

can anyone explain why this isnt in relationships.. where it belongs..it after all about people liking other people.. isnt it??.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #39 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:18pm

cods wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:01pm:

can anyone explain why this isnt in relationships.. where it belongs..it after all about people liking other people.. isnt it??.

Patience, Cods, patience.  Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 6:53pm

Quote:
I believe you are paid for your campaigns.
As a person of undue influence in this forum Freediver should expose all his personal issues and those he is paid for.

The only money I get from this is the advertising and occasional donations, which barely cover the running costs. As for my personal issues, I have dediocated the entire site to exposing them. What exactly is it you think I left out? Is it inconceivable to you that a person would genuinely hold the opinions I do?

Quote:
What exactly were you expecting FD? The actual facts of the case have been widely reported -

Obviously not

Quote:
- that the 1998 and 2010 legislation was passed

No relevant legislation was passed in these years. This is as good a demonstration as any of the failure of the media to report on this, and you are one of the more informed people.

Quote:
And I don't think demanding that the media spoon feed some confected outrage is the solution here.

I expect the media to report the facts. The articles on this consistently left out very important facts.

The August 31 vote in the senate was not reported at all by most outlets. The only article I could find was on AustralianPolitics.com, which did not actually report the date of the vote.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #41 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 7:01pm

freediver wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 6:53pm:
As for my personal issues, I have dediocated the entire site to exposing them.

No you haven't. You hide behind the grassy knoll until posts that personally affect you appear. The you snipe.

As the professed BBS owner you should lay your cards on the table.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #42 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 9:29pm

No relevant legislation was passed in these years. This is as good a demonstration as any of the failure of the media to report on this, and you are one of the more informed people.

No its not, its only a good demonstration of me comprehending poorly. The facts non-the-less were reported. 

The August 31 vote in the senate was not reported at all by most outlets.

Probably because the decision was made on August 12 and the August 31 vote was a mere rubber stamp.

But if you actually looked at the reporting on the August 12 decision, it was widely reported and widely analysed - including much criticism.

eg...
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/12/senate-terms-derryn-hinch...

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/coalition-and-labor-team-u...

http://theconversation.com/major-parties-to-allocate-long-and-short-senate-terms...

Quote:

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #43 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:31pm

Unforgiven wrote on Sep 11th, 2016 at 6:25pm:
Freediver will just not let this dead horse fail to achieve its destiny:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/541/000/6ed.gif

Off we go. Destiny awaits.

http://rathergoodguides.com/images/pasted%20image%20492x450.jpg

To funny  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:39pm

Quote:
No its not, its only a good demonstration of me comprehending poorly.

This has been happening for a month now. As Aussie likes to point out, it is already over. And you are still trying to understand what happened? What does that tell you about the media coverage of this? You have not been living under a rock Gandalf. The media has failed, miserably.

Quote:
The facts non-the-less were reported.

Can you show me some articles on the August 31 senate vote? How about some articles highlighting the difference between what the major parties promised in 1998 and 2010 and what they delivered in 2016? How about some quotes from politicians responding to questions from journalists about the discrepancy?

Quote:
Probably because the decision was made on August 12 and the August 31 vote was a mere rubber stamp.

In other words, a fact that was not reported.

Quote:
But if you actually looked at the reporting on the August 12 decision, it was widely reported and widely analysed - including much criticism.

I read the first article you gave. It completely failed to mention the resolutions of 1998 and 2010. Do you think they are not relevant Gandalf? Why are you so keen to defend shoddy journalism?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print