Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Forum Rules etc. (Read 10949 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Forum Rules etc.
Sep 4th, 2016 at 9:11pm

Freediver..............are there any Rules, edicts, conventions, protocols or whatever, other than these?

Link.

If so, where are they?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Forum Rules etc.
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 10:24pm

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 9:59am

Setanta wrote on Sep 4th, 2016 at 10:24pm:

Yeas, thanks.  I thought I read somewhere here an edict that commencing duplicate Threads was not to happen, but I cannot find it.

Anyone?

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 10:17am

Sorry Aussie cant help you!

I prefer to steer clear of rules wherever possible!

Wink

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 6:34pm

If someone floods a board with duplicates so that it pushes the other threads off the first page, they will get deleted and the account will be disabled for spamming. If people respond to a thread, it is not spam.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 6:57pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 5th, 2016 at 9:59am:

Yeas, thanks.  I thought I read somewhere here an edict that commencing duplicate Threads was not to happen, but I cannot find it.

Anyone?

Speaking of duplicate threads how many now have you started questioning forum rules?   Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 6:59pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 5th, 2016 at 6:57pm:

Anyone?

Speaking of duplicate threads how many now have you started questioning forum rules?   Smiley

Dunno, but whenever I do, there are always idiots who make dumb arse comments like that, so I am quite safe.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 7:08pm

You could start your own forum and mod away to your hearts content.  You could make the rules and enforce the rules and indulge yourself in all your little control fantasies.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 8:21am

freediver wrote on Sep 5th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
If someone floods a board with duplicates so that it pushes the other threads off the first page, they will get deleted and the account will be disabled for spamming. If people respond to a thread, it is not spam.

Hope you have saved a copy of this Aussie for future posting!  Wink

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 10:28am

Anyone?

I have occasionally created duplicated threads because the first thread title was too vague or misleading. I do check for duplicates but I don't have time to waste checking the content of every thread with a vague title.

If we want to have a rule against the creation of duplicate threads, we must also have a rule that discourages the creation of threads with vague or misleading titles. We should also look at ways of increasing the length of a thread title. 50 characters is not enough IMO.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 6:51pm

When you say misleading thread titles - and I appreciate you are a person of a didactic tendency, which is by no means a bad thing - I feel you have to allow some consideration for those of us who might have the urge to be creative with our thread titles and exercise a certain amount of poetic license.

We don't want thread titles to become chapter headings in an economics textbook or titles of Acts of Parliament.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 6:52pm

bogarde73 wrote on Sep 22nd, 2016 at 6:51pm:
When you say misleading thread titles - and I appreciate you are a person of a didactic tendency, which is by no means a bad thing - I feel you have to allow some consideration for those of us who might have the urge to be creative with our thread titles and exercise a certain amount of poetic license.

We don't want thread titles to become chapter headings in an economics textbook or titles of Acts of Parliament.

I'll buy anything which reduces the number of Threads on exactly the same topic.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:05pm

Poorly judged thread titles are a pet hate of mine. By all means be creative, but make them relevant so people have some idea what the topic is. This is especially important for popular news articles, as they often get posted multiple times, often from different news outlets with different titles to the articles, but people should notice they are already there if the thread title is thoughtful.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:44pm

freediver wrote on Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:05pm:
Poorly judged thread titles are a pet hate of mine. By all means be creative, but make them relevant so people have some idea what the topic is. This is especially important for popular news articles, as they often get posted multiple times, often from different news outlets with different titles to the articles, but people should notice they are already there if the thread title is thoughtful.

Yeas, that is what Members have already said.  So, what about a proposal or edict from you which has some teeth in it?  Multiple Threads on the same topic is at epidemic levels and ought be stopped.  Why not ~ at least ~ have them merged into the original Thread, for example?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 8:01pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:44pm:
Why not ~ at least ~ have them merged into the original Thread, for example?

That's usually what happens Aussie.

Doesn't help when Imcrook starts 50 threads on the same topic going back 12 months.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print