Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Is Australia really the best country people claim? (Read 2123 times)
Megan Emily Jones

Australian Politics

Brisbane, Queensland
Is Australia really the best country people claim?
Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:43pm

What are your views? please share them?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Is Australia really the best country people claim?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:50pm

Most countries in the world don't have the option of going to a supermarket and choosing from over 1,000 different types of food. We have it made. We get great medical treatment, we are well fed , we live in peace. There are problems but hopefully they'll be ironed out. Trust me, we won the lotto when we were born here. The best, I don't know. But certainly one of the best.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:55pm

Megan Emily Jones wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:43pm:

What people?  What exactly do 'they' claim "Megan Emily Jones?"

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:34pm

We basically have everything we need. It's just that we have to cope with a lack of rainfall every couple of years. Our standard of living is high. Our reputation with most other countries is good. We perhaps need to stop the culture of waiting for other people to do stuff for us, and then be a bit more proactive.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:14pm

Australia is a house of cards that the Superannuation companies are reluctant to invest in

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:15pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:55pm:

Too late, Aussie - she just went offline. Probably way past her bedtime.

Must have been in a hurry to finish her homework and pack her lunch for school tomorrow. Grin

Mind you, I sometimes get the impression that "Megan" and a few other oddball posters ("Billy Jack", anyone?) could be the same well known person letting one of their multiple personalities out for a bit of exercise.

*Bad Carl* *slaps wrist* (hard).

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

thehermit

Australian Politics

Gold Coast, Australia
Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:18pm

The great thing I luv about Australia is that we can watch heaps of buzzardball...sorry Netball....

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:33pm

Carl D wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:15pm:
Aussie wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:55pm:

Too late, Aussie - she just went offline. Probably way past her bedtime.

Must have been in a hurry to finish her homework and pack her lunch for school tomorrow. Grin

Mind you, I sometimes get the impression that "Megan" and a few other oddball posters ("Billy Jack", anyone?) could be the same well known person letting one of their multiple personalities out for a bit of exercise.

*Bad Carl* *slaps wrist* (hard).

Nah.  "Megan" is all over many Forums.  She starts these Threads (yeas ~ her latest homework assignment) never contributes to them, people fall for it all the time.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:34pm

No australia is totally overrated and overpriced. It is full of ripoff merchants screwing each other blind on overpriced services.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:37pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:34pm:

No australia is totally overrated and overpriced. It is full of ripoff merchants screwing each other blind on overpriced services.
When was the last time you went hungry??

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:05pm

The United States exports continuous propaganda about it being the greatest country in the world, and has done so for a very long time. Certain Australian PR groups have tried to do this with our country since 1960. Much of it is media based, using shamelessly plagiarism. Referring to Canberra as Capitol Hill, Gallipoli as The Birth of a Nation. The boring colonials who established the Commonwealth, as The Founding Fathers, as if we had a Washington, Jefferson and Franklin.

Give me F***ing break. Australia was a rather quiet and unassuming stop at the end of the line, until the 1970s. But even so, nothing has ever happened here worthy of note. That is why the brown highway signs that indicate historic sites in the Northern Hemisphere, are used in Australian to announce stops like the Big Banana.

It is how you interpret the idea of best and lucky that clarifies the claims. Much of our coastline is gloriously Mediteranean, but you really have to spend some winters in Europe or America before you appreciate just how benign it is.

Socially important, but denigrated and dismissed by many who count themselves progressive, is the foundation of our legal system in English Common Law. All of those former colonies that were so delighted in getting rid of the British, have not come up with a better alternative.

English is our first language. That has been a huge advantage internationally. Our education system followed the strides made in the emancipation of the working class during the 19th Century in Western Europe, while Russians, Arabs and the Asian working people lived in serfdom, which is not much better than slavery.

There are plenty of aspects of Australian life that are pretty shabby, especially the treatment of natives. That is where Australia has close parallels with the USA. However, it seems to me native Australians have a louder voice than their American counterparts.

Since the rise of Muzlim Terrorism, the biggest threat to world peace, the gradual restriction of firearms and explosives since 1900 puts Australian society in much safer circumstances today than Europe and North or South America.

While the two major political parties use economic woes to lambaste who ever is in power, and warn of imminent doom, the standard of living has grown steadily from what it was prior to WW2 when the ownership of such items as a refrigerator or an automobile were only attainable by the wealthy minority.

Australia's long coastline is difficult to defend, but the surrounding ocean gives us some natural advantage, but only as long as we do not give it away in misguided exercises of compassion, as the British are doing with the English Channel and North Sea.

Most of us love Australia, but no country is the best country in the world. Some are better than others. Australia is high on the list. One reasons is the lack of sectarian violence. It was one of the reason the grand experiment in multiculturalism seemed logical in the post war years. It is a noble cause, but it never considered possible that some would not see Australia as anything other than a platform for their religion, and that our tolerance was their advantage.

The convict system was ugly. It did have a positive legacy though. It bequeathed a general lack of respect for institutional authority, which is why Australian society is a bit too skeptical to fall for political firebrands and religious zealots. And for this we are luckier than Pakistan and the USA. It is from the children of the convicts, the currency lads and lasses, that Australia developed its secular tradition. It was not a gift, it was paid for in blood and poverty. Multiculturalism has undermined that secularism in as much as it has forgotten the superstition at the foundation of most religions. Perhaps we have been lucky for too long and have forgotten why.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:30pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:37pm:

When was the last time you went hungry??

I just come from a holiday in malaysia and the place I was staying at called in the plumber and he only charged 40RM($13AUD) to fix two bathroom basins and one leaking toilet Wink And food is also cheap and good Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:03am

Polluting the pool does not 'improve' the pool.          pool = = a pool of fresh water

Quote:

"IMO, if we join what is precious with what is vile, we do not in that act, 'improve' that which is vile.

We merely corrupt that which is precious.....

.....e.g.
I have two buckets.
The first bucket is full of clean, fresh water.
The second bucket is full of sewage.

Q.
If i pour both buckets into a third container, what do i get?

A.
A third container, full of diluted sewage.

Conclusion?
While i could safely drink from the 1st bucket, i could *not* safely drink from the 2nd bucket, or the 3rd container.

So it is with evil, that is 'tolerated' by good people.

No matter how many times we repeat the phrase, "Tolerance is good.",
...our tolerance of what is clearly evil, is not a virtue.

It is a process, a progression."

Ecclesiastes 7:29
Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Leviticus 18:24
Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
25  And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.
26  Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
27  (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)
28  That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
29  For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.
30  Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

Never old.

IMAGE....

It is a mistake, to promote the idea [in a society of men] that all [ill conceived] 'consequences' 'can be dealt with', later, rather than choosing care to prevent them in the first place.
- Yadda

Jeremiah 15:19
Therefore thus saith the LORD, If thou return, then will I bring thee again, and thou shalt stand before me: and if thou take forth the precious from the vile, thou shalt be as my mouth: let them return unto thee; but return not thou unto them.

Deuteronomy 8:2
And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

Psalms 9:17
The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Don't ya just love bible quotes.

Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:12am

Pleasure seeking, is what rates, with all Australians today.

Australia today = = Australians today.

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1402138274/18#18
Quote:

The two most important characteristics which define the personality of a person [imo];
1/ are we honest ?
2/ are we reliable ?                    ....[e.g. if we give someone an undertaking to do something, or to behave in a certain way, will we keep to the [verbal] agreement that we have made ?]

More than that, is superfluous, imo.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:20am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:05pm:
The United States exports continuous propaganda about it being the greatest country in the world, and has done so for a very long time. Certain Australian PR groups have tried to do this with our country since 1960. Much of it is media based, using shamelessly plagiarism. Referring to Canberra as Capitol Hill, Gallipoli as The Birth of a Nation. The boring colonials who established the Commonwealth, as The Founding Fathers, as if we had a Washington, Jefferson and Franklin.

Give me F***ing break. Australia was a rather quiet and unassuming stop at the end of the line, until the 1970s. But even so, nothing has ever happened here worthy of note. That is why the brown highway signs that indicate historic sites in the Northern Hemisphere, are used in Australian to announce stops like the Big Banana.

It is how you interpret the idea of best and lucky that clarifies the claims. Much of our coastline is gloriously Mediteranean, but you really have to spend some winters in Europe or America before you appreciate just how benign it is.

Socially important, but denigrated and dismissed by many who count themselves progressive, is the foundation of our legal system in English Common Law. All of those former colonies that were so delighted in getting rid of the British, have not come up with a better alternative.

English is our first language. That has been a huge advantage internationally. Our education system followed the strides made in the emancipation of the working class during the 19th Century in Western Europe, while Russians, Arabs and the Asian working people lived in serfdom, which is not much better than slavery.

There are plenty of aspects of Australian life that are pretty shabby, especially the treatment of natives. That is where Australia has close parallels with the USA. However, it seems to me native Australians have a louder voice than their American counterparts.

Since the rise of Muzlim Terrorism, the biggest threat to world peace, the gradual restriction of firearms and explosives since 1900 puts Australian society in much safer circumstances today than Europe and North or South America.

While the two major political parties use economic woes to lambaste who ever is in power, and warn of imminent doom, the standard of living has grown steadily from what it was prior to WW2 when the ownership of such items as a refrigerator or an automobile were only attainable by the wealthy minority.

Australia's long coastline is difficult to defend, but the surrounding ocean gives us some natural advantage, but only as long as we do not give it away in misguided exercises of compassion, as the British are doing with the English Channel and North Sea.

Most of us love Australia, but no country is the best country in the world. Some are better than others. Australia is high on the list. One reasons is the lack of sectarian violence. It was one of the reason the grand experiment in multiculturalism seemed logical in the post war years. It is a noble cause, but it never considered possible that some would not see Australia as anything other than a platform for their religion, and that our tolerance was their advantage.

The convict system was ugly. It did have a positive legacy though. It bequeathed a general lack of respect for institutional authority, which is why Australian society is a bit too skeptical to fall for political firebrands and religious zealots. And for this we are luckier than Pakistan and the USA. It is from the children of the convicts, the currency lads and lasses, that Australia developed its secular tradition. It was not a gift, it was paid for in blood and poverty. Multiculturalism has undermined that secularism in as much as it has forgotten the superstition at the foundation of most religions. Perhaps we have been lucky for too long and have forgotten why.

Great post  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 2:44am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:34pm:
We basically have everything we need. It's just that we have to cope with a lack of rainfall every couple of years. Our standard of living is high. Our reputation with most other countries is good. We perhaps need to stop the culture of waiting for other people to do stuff for us, and then be a bit more proactive.

It's like the whole country is one giant gated community.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 7:23am

Marla wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 2:44am:

The metaphor of the Gated Community does not explain why 28% of Australians were born in other countries.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/rate-of-overseasborn-aussi...

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 2:42pm

I used to think Australia was the greatest, the only country to live in and that we had it great.

Then I started to travel the world.

OK we have some good stuff, but we also have quite a bit of crap stuff.
Our cars are seriously over priced and under accessorized.
Go to the US or UK and have a look at car prices and quality, we are being seriously ripped off.
It will soon get worse, once our wonderful governments policy kicks in and we can no longer manufacture in Australia, car prices will begin to rise.
Oh, For all the right reasons, It takes a long time to get here, small quantities etc etc, but they will go through the roof.

Our political leaders are, without exception, overpaid, over compensated and completely useless.
Not one of our leaders has any capacity for intelligent or moral thought.
They are universally hated, denigrated and considered to be nothing but parasites of the lowest order.
No other country pays their politicians as much.
No other country gives them such generous retirement benefits.
No other country has the number of criminal and corrupt politicians all in the one place.
We have more politicians per capita than any country in the world.....including Greece.

We pay more for every damn thing.
Petrol, food, insurance, electricity, gas, oil etc etc etc.
because of our corrupt politicians.

Did you know that we sell our gas overseas for 1/3 of the cost that we pay for it?
And we dig the sh#t up.
Other countries laugh at our stupidity, Sweden cannot believe we would sell them gas at the price we do.

Our country has some great landscape, absolutely beautiful.
But so have many other countries.
Greece has some of the best diving in the world.
Turkey some of the best oceans.
New Zealand has some of the best snow skiing and at a considerably lower cost.
Want beautiful scenery, try Canada, The English countryside, or Ireland.
And even China is absolutely magnificent, once you get out of the cities.

Germans, Finnish, Canadians and even Americans are easy going, once you get to know them in their own countries, the French still have some work to do.

Yeah, Australia is Good, but there are better places.
If I was younger, I would be out of the joint.
Id travel the world and see all the great places there are and probably be better off in the long run.

Il just have to put up with what we have here and hope that some day before I die, every politician will be taken to task and put down for what they have done to our great country.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

thehermit

Australian Politics

Gold Coast, Australia
Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 6:40pm

Good post valkie..I thought I was reading my own thoughts..

IP Logged

Kat
Gold Member

Socialism IS the answer.

Everywhere and no-where
Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 8:47pm

Up until 1996 it was great, with only a few hiccups (11-11-75, for example).

But since then the neo-cons have turned it into a greedy, selfish, fascist-ruled
shithole full of hate, bigotry, racism and plain old pig-ignorance.

If ever a country needed a revolution, it's this one.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 12:40am

Marla wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 2:44am:

No. It is more about a trichotomy of rural, regional, and metropolitan differences. I live in a regional town in Queensland. I have everything that I need to survive. Rural Queensland has all the basics for survival. But they are not spoilt for choice. Metropolitan Queensland is the spoilt rotten section of our state. I figure the same for other states.

You will find that the politicians in Canberra will not give a stuff about the non-metropolitan areas, as they do not live there. The gate shuts on us there.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 7:46am

When you wake up in the morning do your thoughts go to a terror attack that may blow your house to kingdom come? where the streets are relatively free of guns (yes you can get one but not easily).

Be grateful you live here

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:04am

Super Nova wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:20am:
issuevoter wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:05pm:

Great post  Roll Eyes

x2

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:08am

thehermit wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 6:40pm:
Good post valkie..I thought I was reading my own thoughts..

x2

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:15am

Kat wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 8:47pm:

But since then the neo-cons have turned it into a greedy, selfish, fascist-ruled

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:20am

Australia has been a migration wet-dream destination that has taken in over 200 different ethnic groups since the war..

Enough said.

QED

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #26 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:24am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:20am:
Australia has been a migration wet-dream destination that has taken in over 200 different ethnic groups since the war..

Enough said.

QED

Only because we bend over backward to give them everything, expect nothing and pander to their devil worshiping ways.

Also, these parasites get far far more than any Australian

No wonder the love us, we are idiiots

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 9:10am

Valkie wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:24am:

Enough said.

QED

Only because we bend over backward to give them everything, expect nothing and pander to their devil worshiping ways.

I'm talking about 'my' ethnic mob, Valkie ... the 'wogs' who entered the migrant factories of the early 60's with me, and who did a brilliant job on the production lines while building themselves a good life and making a great contribution to Australia. 

Things went down hill when Malcolm Frazer brought over the Muslim Lebanese during their civil war - something he did against the advice of his top ministers who he simply ignored.

IP Logged

Kat
Gold Member

Socialism IS the answer.

Everywhere and no-where
Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 10:05am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:15am:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr96/Herbert_04/chreie2.png

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr96/Herbert_04/cherie.png

Truth hurts, eh?

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #29 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:08am

Kat wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 10:05am:

Truth hurts, eh?

You are a prime example of one of the reasons Australia is NOT 'the best country (some) people claim'. After many years on the dole, now you fix bloody push-bikes, you are no judge of what is a great country, and what is not. Your just a marxist gobshite.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Kat
Gold Member

Socialism IS the answer.

Everywhere and no-where
Reply #30 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:50am

Fuzzball wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:08am:

Truth hurts, eh?

You are a prime example of one of the reasons Australia is NOT 'the best country (some) people claim'. After many years on the dole, now you fix bloody push-bikes, you are no judge of what is a great country, and what is not. Your just a marxist gobshite.

Go somewhere quiet and catch fire.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #31 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 4:41pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 9:10am:
Valkie wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:24am:

Enough said.

QED

I'm talking about 'my' ethnic mob, Valkie ... the 'wogs' who entered the migrant factories of the early 60's with me, and who did a brilliant job on the production lines while building themselves a good life and making a great contribution to Australia. 

Things went down hill when Malcolm Frazer brought over the Muslim Lebanese during their civil war - something he did against the advice of his top ministers who he simply ignored.

That is a totally different kettle of fish.
I firmly believe that these wonderful people are the ones we need to thank for making Australia better than it was before they came.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #32 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 5:26pm

When Paul Hogan threw that shrimp on the barby in hope of attracting more tourists to boost our economy it fulfilled its purpose but it also caught the eye of some awfully huge leaches.

These leaches (oligarchy) saw Australia as a ripe piece of fruit that needed picking, a big teat that could provide them with lots of milk and so with the consent of the people we elect to govern over us they set about suckling on it until we reach the here and now.

So what have we got today, our rag trade was the first victim and died on its arse about 30 years ago.

Today our manufacturing sector is all but dead, our resources and the industries they support either pay pittance in royalties and taxes to the people we elected to govern over us which in turn deprives us all of the first class amenities and services which made this country so great.

Not only that but they have moved big projects worth billions of dollars of shore to low cost centres depriving all Australians a chance to work on projects that are for Australia, if the Sydney Harbour bridge were to be built today, it would be designed and built in Asia.

Then they would ship it out in modules and assemble it on site.

Not only that but we have over one million 457 visa workers here in Australia because the oligarchy want slave labour and Aussies are just too damn expensive even in their own country.

So the bridge would be shipped here to Sydney Harbour and assembled by a foreign slave labour work force.

While we can only look on because the people we have elected to govern us have given their blessing for this to take place.

Then these people that we elected to watch out for us come out and say things like you can only be on the dole for 6 months any longer and your off.

Or our poor pensioners are living on the bread line.

With the riches Australian posses and our politicians have so gracefully donated to the oligarchy a hand full of wealthy men that have so much money they don't know whether to call themselves Arthur or Martha, yes we could be the BEST in the world that's could because we aint.

A hand full of people enjoy Australia's wealth the rest or majority are on the skids.

I don't know how old you are Megan but Australia is full of people with degrees coming out of their backsides and yet there are no jobs to be had for young Australians.

It's time for a revolution............. Cheesy

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #33 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 5:29pm

Well said

And sign me up for the revolution

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #34 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:15pm

Kat wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:50am:
Fuzzball wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 11:08am:

Truth hurts, eh?

Go somewhere quiet and catch fire.

You go first and I'll just watch in appreciation.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:19pm

Valkie wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 4:41pm:
I firmly believe that these wonderful people are the ones we need to thank for making Australia better than it was before they came.

PS. It was only last week that I learnt that most of Fraser's top ministers were against bringing the Muslim Lebanese here to Australia. That surprised me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #36 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:00am

It was in many ways - when the horizons of the majority were enough to eat, to work and own their home if they played the game right, and to retire with a little security and something to hand on to their children so their descendants would be better off - it worked fine.

Once the politicians and their mates in business turned it into their personal whorehouse and literally forked the whole thing over, it went downhill and looks unlikely to recover from its fatal dive.....

Damn - that's a B-17G with the chin turret..... buggar...

b-17.jpeg (4 KB | 20 )
b-17.jpeg

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:04am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:19pm:
Valkie wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 4:41pm:

PS. It was only last week that I learnt that most of Fraser's top ministers were against bringing the Muslim Lebanese here to Australia. That surprised me.

Being as how it was Fraser's government that installed 'equal employment opportunity' - meaning Affirmative Action - in the public service, that should come as a real surprise.. those guys were so liberal they'd terrify the current lot with their 'leftie' leanings...

I'd have thought such a group of lefties would encourage Muslim Lebanesers (Ebenezers) to come here...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:07am

Valkie wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 5:29pm:
Well said

And sign me up for the revolution

BOTR!  Vote 'em all out at the ballot box.... better to do it that way than the way it's normally done....

Now join me in assembling a real party that will make a difference...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #39 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:09am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:00am:
It was in many ways - when the horizons of the majority were enough to eat, to work and own their home if they played the game right, and to retire with a little security and something to hand on to their children so their descendants would be better off - it worked fine.

Once the politicians and their mates in business turned it into their personal whorehouse and literally forked the whole thing over, it went downhill and looks unlikely to recover from its fatal dive.....

Whoo, thanks for clearing that up Grap. I thought it was the Lib party mascot.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:19am

Setanta wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:09am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:00am:

Whoo, thanks for clearing that up Grap. I thought it was the Lib party mascot.

G's had the chin turret to fend off frontal attacks - a favourite of the Luftwaffe when it was running short of experienced pilots, but one of the hardest attack profiles..... hard to score a hit with closing speeds up to 500 mph and eye sights....

It resembles the LNP mascot, since it is uncontrollable and has lost its arse....

Oh - the B-24 with the same turret attached had a little stability and weight distribution problem.... can't have everything.... but like the Hurricane (70% of fighter Command) in the Battle of Britain, the majority of US heavy bombers in Europe were B-24s and not the -17 so lauded in popular movies.

James Stewart, the actor, flew a B-24....
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:25am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #41 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:21am

Many people think many things about countries.

I refer to my Uncle John when we were at a wedding. One loud mouthed relative was pointing out how this was 'the best bloody country in the world, no question' etc etc etc

My uncle who has lived in the UAE since 1977 and being in charge of the docks labour supply travels to Pakistan, Russia, E Europe, Surinam, Bangladesh (he was actually the guest of the President of Bangladesh one year for some reason) and most of the Arab world etc...
Possibly the most down to earth bloke you'll find and no question the most worldly guy I know

He turns to me and quietly says

"Thing is, no matter where you go in the world, England, Russia, the USA, Australia you will always find total tools like that bloke.
Also if someone yells this is the best country in the world, its usually a safe bet they have never been to any other fking place in their life too"

Top bloke, John.

I did ask him what he felt was - he said its almost an impossible question to answer but if I had to nail him to one answer he would go with Norway.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #42 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:31am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:21am:

I refer to my Uncle John when we were at a wedding. One loud mouthed relative was pointing out how this was 'the best bloody country in the world, no question' etc etc etc

My uncle who has lived in the UAE since 1977 and being in charge of the docks labour supply travels to Pakistan, Russia, E Europe, Surinam, Bangladesh (he was actually the guest of the President of Bangladesh one year for some reason) and most of the Arab world etc...
Possibly the most down to earth bloke you'll find and no question the most worldly guy I know

"Thing is, no matter where you go in the world, England, Russia, the USA, Australia you will always find total tools like that bloke.
Also if someone yells this is the best country in the world, its usually a safe bet they have never been to any other fking place in their life too"

Top bloke, John.

I did ask him what he felt was - he said its almost an impossible question to answer but if I had to nail him to one answer he would go with Norway.

Iceland looks nice.
Rodger, Iceland.

Haven't been there yet.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #43 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 6:29am

Setanta wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:31am:

Top bloke, John.

Iceland looks nice.
Rodger, Iceland.

Haven't been there yet.

Aint been to Iceland.
But been to Turku in winter.

Damn close, -30 and you can drive a car on the ocean between islands.
Still.....a very pretty place

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 6:48am

How many countries have you lived in?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #45 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 2:57pm

Sorry - but it's WAY too cold, and it's up hill and down hill in whichever direction you walk.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #46 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 3:41pm

Setanta wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:31am:

Top bloke, John.

Iceland looks nice.
Rodger, Iceland.

Haven't been there yet.

Antarctica. Unspoiled by the presence of Andrei's uncles.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print