Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Is Australia really the best country people claim? (Read 2125 times)
Megan Emily Jones

Australian Politics

Brisbane, Queensland
Is Australia really the best country people claim?
Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:43pm

What are your views? please share them?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Is Australia really the best country people claim?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:50pm

Most countries in the world don't have the option of going to a supermarket and choosing from over 1,000 different types of food. We have it made. We get great medical treatment, we are well fed , we live in peace. There are problems but hopefully they'll be ironed out. Trust me, we won the lotto when we were born here. The best, I don't know. But certainly one of the best.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:55pm

Megan Emily Jones wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:43pm:

What people?  What exactly do 'they' claim "Megan Emily Jones?"

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:34pm

We basically have everything we need. It's just that we have to cope with a lack of rainfall every couple of years. Our standard of living is high. Our reputation with most other countries is good. We perhaps need to stop the culture of waiting for other people to do stuff for us, and then be a bit more proactive.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:14pm

Australia is a house of cards that the Superannuation companies are reluctant to invest in

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:15pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:55pm:

Too late, Aussie - she just went offline. Probably way past her bedtime.

Must have been in a hurry to finish her homework and pack her lunch for school tomorrow. Grin

Mind you, I sometimes get the impression that "Megan" and a few other oddball posters ("Billy Jack", anyone?) could be the same well known person letting one of their multiple personalities out for a bit of exercise.

*Bad Carl* *slaps wrist* (hard).

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

thehermit

Australian Politics

Gold Coast, Australia
Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:18pm

The great thing I luv about Australia is that we can watch heaps of buzzardball...sorry Netball....

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:33pm

Carl D wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:15pm:
Aussie wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:55pm:

Too late, Aussie - she just went offline. Probably way past her bedtime.

Must have been in a hurry to finish her homework and pack her lunch for school tomorrow. Grin

Mind you, I sometimes get the impression that "Megan" and a few other oddball posters ("Billy Jack", anyone?) could be the same well known person letting one of their multiple personalities out for a bit of exercise.

*Bad Carl* *slaps wrist* (hard).

Nah.  "Megan" is all over many Forums.  She starts these Threads (yeas ~ her latest homework assignment) never contributes to them, people fall for it all the time.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:34pm

No australia is totally overrated and overpriced. It is full of ripoff merchants screwing each other blind on overpriced services.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:37pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:34pm:

No australia is totally overrated and overpriced. It is full of ripoff merchants screwing each other blind on overpriced services.
When was the last time you went hungry??

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:05pm

The United States exports continuous propaganda about it being the greatest country in the world, and has done so for a very long time. Certain Australian PR groups have tried to do this with our country since 1960. Much of it is media based, using shamelessly plagiarism. Referring to Canberra as Capitol Hill, Gallipoli as The Birth of a Nation. The boring colonials who established the Commonwealth, as The Founding Fathers, as if we had a Washington, Jefferson and Franklin.

Give me F***ing break. Australia was a rather quiet and unassuming stop at the end of the line, until the 1970s. But even so, nothing has ever happened here worthy of note. That is why the brown highway signs that indicate historic sites in the Northern Hemisphere, are used in Australian to announce stops like the Big Banana.

It is how you interpret the idea of best and lucky that clarifies the claims. Much of our coastline is gloriously Mediteranean, but you really have to spend some winters in Europe or America before you appreciate just how benign it is.

Socially important, but denigrated and dismissed by many who count themselves progressive, is the foundation of our legal system in English Common Law. All of those former colonies that were so delighted in getting rid of the British, have not come up with a better alternative.

English is our first language. That has been a huge advantage internationally. Our education system followed the strides made in the emancipation of the working class during the 19th Century in Western Europe, while Russians, Arabs and the Asian working people lived in serfdom, which is not much better than slavery.

There are plenty of aspects of Australian life that are pretty shabby, especially the treatment of natives. That is where Australia has close parallels with the USA. However, it seems to me native Australians have a louder voice than their American counterparts.

Since the rise of Muzlim Terrorism, the biggest threat to world peace, the gradual restriction of firearms and explosives since 1900 puts Australian society in much safer circumstances today than Europe and North or South America.

While the two major political parties use economic woes to lambaste who ever is in power, and warn of imminent doom, the standard of living has grown steadily from what it was prior to WW2 when the ownership of such items as a refrigerator or an automobile were only attainable by the wealthy minority.

Australia's long coastline is difficult to defend, but the surrounding ocean gives us some natural advantage, but only as long as we do not give it away in misguided exercises of compassion, as the British are doing with the English Channel and North Sea.

Most of us love Australia, but no country is the best country in the world. Some are better than others. Australia is high on the list. One reasons is the lack of sectarian violence. It was one of the reason the grand experiment in multiculturalism seemed logical in the post war years. It is a noble cause, but it never considered possible that some would not see Australia as anything other than a platform for their religion, and that our tolerance was their advantage.

The convict system was ugly. It did have a positive legacy though. It bequeathed a general lack of respect for institutional authority, which is why Australian society is a bit too skeptical to fall for political firebrands and religious zealots. And for this we are luckier than Pakistan and the USA. It is from the children of the convicts, the currency lads and lasses, that Australia developed its secular tradition. It was not a gift, it was paid for in blood and poverty. Multiculturalism has undermined that secularism in as much as it has forgotten the superstition at the foundation of most religions. Perhaps we have been lucky for too long and have forgotten why.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:30pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:37pm:

When was the last time you went hungry??

I just come from a holiday in malaysia and the place I was staying at called in the plumber and he only charged 40RM($13AUD) to fix two bathroom basins and one leaking toilet Wink And food is also cheap and good Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:03am

Polluting the pool does not 'improve' the pool.          pool = = a pool of fresh water

Quote:

"IMO, if we join what is precious with what is vile, we do not in that act, 'improve' that which is vile.

We merely corrupt that which is precious.....

.....e.g.
I have two buckets.
The first bucket is full of clean, fresh water.
The second bucket is full of sewage.

Q.
If i pour both buckets into a third container, what do i get?

A.
A third container, full of diluted sewage.

Conclusion?
While i could safely drink from the 1st bucket, i could *not* safely drink from the 2nd bucket, or the 3rd container.

So it is with evil, that is 'tolerated' by good people.

No matter how many times we repeat the phrase, "Tolerance is good.",
...our tolerance of what is clearly evil, is not a virtue.

It is a process, a progression."

Ecclesiastes 7:29
Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Leviticus 18:24
Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
25  And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.
26  Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
27  (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)
28  That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
29  For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.
30  Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

Never old.

IMAGE....

It is a mistake, to promote the idea [in a society of men] that all [ill conceived] 'consequences' 'can be dealt with', later, rather than choosing care to prevent them in the first place.
- Yadda

Jeremiah 15:19
Therefore thus saith the LORD, If thou return, then will I bring thee again, and thou shalt stand before me: and if thou take forth the precious from the vile, thou shalt be as my mouth: let them return unto thee; but return not thou unto them.

Deuteronomy 8:2
And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

Psalms 9:17
The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Don't ya just love bible quotes.

Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:12am

Pleasure seeking, is what rates, with all Australians today.

Australia today = = Australians today.

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1402138274/18#18
Quote:

The two most important characteristics which define the personality of a person [imo];
1/ are we honest ?
2/ are we reliable ?                    ....[e.g. if we give someone an undertaking to do something, or to behave in a certain way, will we keep to the [verbal] agreement that we have made ?]

More than that, is superfluous, imo.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:20am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:05pm:
The United States exports continuous propaganda about it being the greatest country in the world, and has done so for a very long time. Certain Australian PR groups have tried to do this with our country since 1960. Much of it is media based, using shamelessly plagiarism. Referring to Canberra as Capitol Hill, Gallipoli as The Birth of a Nation. The boring colonials who established the Commonwealth, as The Founding Fathers, as if we had a Washington, Jefferson and Franklin.

Give me F***ing break. Australia was a rather quiet and unassuming stop at the end of the line, until the 1970s. But even so, nothing has ever happened here worthy of note. That is why the brown highway signs that indicate historic sites in the Northern Hemisphere, are used in Australian to announce stops like the Big Banana.

It is how you interpret the idea of best and lucky that clarifies the claims. Much of our coastline is gloriously Mediteranean, but you really have to spend some winters in Europe or America before you appreciate just how benign it is.

Socially important, but denigrated and dismissed by many who count themselves progressive, is the foundation of our legal system in English Common Law. All of those former colonies that were so delighted in getting rid of the British, have not come up with a better alternative.

English is our first language. That has been a huge advantage internationally. Our education system followed the strides made in the emancipation of the working class during the 19th Century in Western Europe, while Russians, Arabs and the Asian working people lived in serfdom, which is not much better than slavery.

There are plenty of aspects of Australian life that are pretty shabby, especially the treatment of natives. That is where Australia has close parallels with the USA. However, it seems to me native Australians have a louder voice than their American counterparts.

Since the rise of Muzlim Terrorism, the biggest threat to world peace, the gradual restriction of firearms and explosives since 1900 puts Australian society in much safer circumstances today than Europe and North or South America.

While the two major political parties use economic woes to lambaste who ever is in power, and warn of imminent doom, the standard of living has grown steadily from what it was prior to WW2 when the ownership of such items as a refrigerator or an automobile were only attainable by the wealthy minority.

Australia's long coastline is difficult to defend, but the surrounding ocean gives us some natural advantage, but only as long as we do not give it away in misguided exercises of compassion, as the British are doing with the English Channel and North Sea.

Most of us love Australia, but no country is the best country in the world. Some are better than others. Australia is high on the list. One reasons is the lack of sectarian violence. It was one of the reason the grand experiment in multiculturalism seemed logical in the post war years. It is a noble cause, but it never considered possible that some would not see Australia as anything other than a platform for their religion, and that our tolerance was their advantage.

The convict system was ugly. It did have a positive legacy though. It bequeathed a general lack of respect for institutional authority, which is why Australian society is a bit too skeptical to fall for political firebrands and religious zealots. And for this we are luckier than Pakistan and the USA. It is from the children of the convicts, the currency lads and lasses, that Australia developed its secular tradition. It was not a gift, it was paid for in blood and poverty. Multiculturalism has undermined that secularism in as much as it has forgotten the superstition at the foundation of most religions. Perhaps we have been lucky for too long and have forgotten why.

Great post  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print