Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Earth warming at pace 'unprecedented in 1000 years (Read 14345 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Re: Earth warming at pace 'unprecedented in 1000 years
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:35pm

lee wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:14pm:
Yep. And then there is the uncertainty of the "data" after 1950. Wink

Confession?

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:10pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:35pm:

Confession?

You mean NOAA has confessed to data tampering? I'm shocked. But of course it was obvious to all who looked.

Remember NOAA - 1997 - 62.45ºF
NOAA 2015 - anomaly 1.62ºF on 20th  century average 57.0ºF = 58.62ºF

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:33pm

Here you go, Bobby:

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:34am

lee wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:10pm:
Unforgiven wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:35pm:

Confession?

You mean NOAA has confessed to data tampering? I'm shocked. But of course it was obvious to all who looked.

Remember NOAA - 1997 - 62.45ºF
NOAA 2015 - anomaly 1.62ºF on 20th  century average 57.0ºF = 58.62ºF

lee, you are the master of obfuscation and misdirection.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 1:55am

wasn't earth going through a cooling period last week?

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 11:07am

Agnes wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 1:55am:
wasn't earth going through a cooling period last week?

That was just Agnes.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 11:41am

Unforgiven wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:34am:
lee, you are the master of obfuscation and misdirection.

So you deny what NOAA has on their website? Google NOAA 1997 annual and NOAA 2015 annual, you denier you. Wink

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 12:52pm

More evidence about the rapid retreat of glaciers. Europe's Southernmost glaciers are retreating very much more than Norway's Northern glaciers are gaining.

Some nice pictures in the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3765074/Shocking-images-global-wa...

Quote:
THE WORLD'S FASTEST MOVING GLACIER JUST LOST A MASSIVE CHUNK OF ICE
Satellite images show that the fastest moving glacier in the world shed a chunk of ice measuring around 4.8 square miles last year – one of the most significant calving events on record.
Radar images from the European Space Agency's Sentinel-1A captured the Jakobshavn glacier in western Greenland before and after the event, which took place between 14 and 16 August 2015.
Comparing images taken on 27 July, and 13 and 19 August, the new face of the glacier has been pushed inland by several kilometres to what appears to be its furthest easterly location since monitoring began in the mid-1880s.
The image time series suggests that between 27 July and 13 August, the glacier advanced westward before the calving caused rapid retreat of the ice front to its position on 19 August.
Jakobshavn glacier drains 6.5% of the Greenland ice sheet, producing around 10% its icebergs. This amounts to some 35 billion tonnes of ice that calve off every year.
Icebergs are often so large that they cannot float away easily. They remain, sometimes for years, stuck on the bottom in shallower areas of the fjord until they finally melt enough to disperse, break into pieces or are pushed out by icebergs coming up from behind.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 2:04pm

Yes we know glaciers advance and retreat; it has been going on for millennia.

Greenland again? The place where NASA says that the ice is melting from below? Given  the insulating effect of the ice, I doubt it is AGW. Wink

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 3:58pm

Wrap your frontal lobe around this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/greenland-ice-loss_us_57bf2fe2e4b04193420e15...

Quote:
The scale of the ice loss is staggering. Since, 2002 the Greenland ice sheet has lost an estimated 3,500 billion tonnes (3,860 billion tons) of ice, an average of 270 billion tonnes (300 billion tons) per year – equivalent to a little less than 1mm of sea level rise annually. For the most part, the erosion has been steady, but in 2012 more than 600 billion tonnes (660 billion tons) of ice were jettisoned in a single year. If fully melted, it would add about 7m (23ft) to global sea levels.

In addition to raising sea levels, the meltwater can swell nearby rivers and put communities and infrastructure at risk. In July 2012, meltwater overflowed the banks of the Watson River near Kangerlussuaq, which hosts the island’s busiest airport, and washed out roads and bridges.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:11pm

Yes. What don't you understand about glaciers advancing and retreating?

Remember the Vikings inhabiting Greenland? About them growing grain? Farming cattle and sheep?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:19pm

lee wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 2:04pm:
... NASA says that the ice is melting from below?...

Water is melting at the top forming lakes and flowing through fissures to the bottom of the icebergs where it acts as a lubricant. Furthermore, water is heavier than ice and therefore the water column exerts a pressure at the bottom greater than that from the weight of the iceberg. This has positive feedback as the higher pressure melts the ice base. This article on relegation exemplifies the melting of ice under pressure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regelation

Quote:
Regelation is the phenomenon of melting under pressure and freezing again when the pressure is reduced. Many sources state that regelation can be demonstrated by looping a fine wire around a block of ice, with a heavy weight attached to it. The pressure exerted on the ice slowly melts it locally, permitting the wire to pass through the entire block. The wire's track will refill as soon as pressure is relieved, so the ice block will remain solid even after wire passes completely through. This experiment is possible for ice at −10 °C or cooler, and while essentially valid, the details of the process by which the wire passes through the ice are complex.[1] The phenomenon works best with high thermal conductivity materials such as copper, since latent heat of fusion from the top side needs to be transferred to the lower side to supply latent heat of melting.

If 1 mm diameter wire is used, over an ice cube 50 mm wide, the area the force is exerted on is 50 mm2. This is 50×10−6 m2.
Force (in newtons) equals pressure (in pascals) multiplied by area (in square metres).
If at least 500 atm (50 MPa) is required to melt the ice, a force of (50×106 Pa)(50×10−6 m2) = 2500 N is required, a force roughly equal to the weight of 250 kg on Earth.

Regelation was discovered by Michael Faraday. Regelation occurs only for substances, such as ice, that have the property of expanding upon freezing, for the melting points of those substances decrease with increasing external pressure. The melting point of ice falls by 0.0072 °C for each additional atm of pressure applied. For example, a pressure of 500 atmospheres is needed for ice to melt at −4 °C.[2]

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:39pm

'Though it seems counter-intuitive, Greenland’s thick ice sheet actually insulates the bedrock below from the cold air temperatures at the surface. As a result, the bottom of the ice—slowly warmed by heat coming from Earth’s depths—can be tens of degrees warmer than at the top. Knowing whether Greenland’s ice lies on wet, slippery ground or is anchored to dry, frozen bedrock is essential for understanding how the ice sheet will react to a warming climate and flow in the future.'

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=88505

Melt at the Base of the Greenland Ice Sheet
August 4, 2016

The latest scientific view.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #28 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 4:54pm

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 5:29pm

'Earth's surface gained 115,000 km2 of water and 173,000 km2 of land over the past 30 years, including 20,135 km2 of water and 33,700 km2 of land in coastal areas. Here, we analyse the gains and losses through the Deltares Aqua Monitor — an open tool that detects land and water changes around the globe.'

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v6/n9/full/nclimate3111.html

And all this increased coastal land with rising sea levels.Bizarre.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print