Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Earth warming at pace 'unprecedented in 1000 years (Read 14544 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Earth warming at pace 'unprecedented in 1000 years
Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:12am

As 2016 is predicted to become the hottest year on record following 2014 and 2015 being the previous hottest years.

AGW appears to be unstoppable. AGW must be causing positive feedback as global warming causes more and accelerating global warming.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/30/nasa-climate-change-warning-...

Quote:
Nasa: Earth is warming at a pace 'unprecedented in 1,000 years'
Records of temperature that go back far further than 1800s suggest warming of recent decades is out of step with any period over the past millennium

The planet is warming at a pace not experienced within the past 1,000 years, at least, making it “very unlikely” that the world will stay within a crucial temperature limit agreed by nations just last year, according to Nasa’s top climate scientist.

This year has already seen scorching heat around the world, with the average global temperature peaking at 1.38C above levels experienced in the 19th century, perilously close to the 1.5C limit agreed in the landmark Paris climate accord. July was the warmest month since modern record keeping began in 1880, with each month since October 2015 setting a new high mark for heat.

But Nasa said that records of temperature that go back far further, taken via analysis of ice cores and sediments, suggest that the warming of recent decades is out of step with any period over the past millennium.

Proxy-based temperature reconstruction.

“In the last 30 years we’ve really moved into exceptional territory,” Gavin Schmidt, director of Nasa’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, said. “It’s unprecedented in 1,000 years. There’s no period that has the trend seen in the 20th century in terms of the inclination (of temperatures).”

“Maintaining temperatures below the 1.5C guardrail requires significant and very rapid cuts in carbon dioxide emissions or co-ordinated geo-engineering. That is very unlikely. We are not even yet making emissions cuts commensurate with keeping warming below 2C.”

Schmidt repeated his previous prediction that there is a 99% chance that 2016 will be the warmest year on record, with around 20% of the heat attributed to a strong El Niño climatic event. Last year is currently the warmest year on record, itself beating a landmark set in 2014.

“It’s the long-term trend we have to worry about though and there’s no evidence it’s going away and lots of reasons to think it’s here to stay,” Schmidt said. “There’s no pause or hiatus in temperature increase. People who think this is over are viewing the world through rose-tinted spectacles. This is a chronic problem for society for the next 100 years.”

Schmidt is the highest-profile scientist to effectively write-off the 1.5C target, which was adopted at December’s UN summit after heavy lobbying from island nations that risk being inundated by rising seas if temperatures exceed this level. Recent research found that just five more years of carbon dioxide emissions at current levels will virtually wipe out any chance of restraining temperatures to a 1.5C increase and avoid runaway climate change.

Temperature reconstructions by Nasa, using work from its sister agency the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, found that the global temperature typically rose by between 4-7C over a period of 5,000 years as the world moved out of ice ages. The temperature rise clocked up over the past century is around 10 times faster than this previous rate of warming.

The increasing pace of warming means that the world will heat up at a rate “at least” 20 times faster than the historical average over the coming 100 years, according to Nasa. The comparison of recent temperatures to the paleoclimate isn’t exact, as it matches modern record-keeping to proxies taken from ancient layers of glacier ice, ocean sediments and rock.

Scientists are able to gauge greenhouse gas levels stretching back more than 800,000 years but the certainty around the composition of previous climates is stronger within the past 1,000 years. While it’s still difficult to compare a single year to another prior to the 19th century, a Nasa reconstruction shows that the pace of temperature increase over recent decades outstrips anything that has occurred since the year 500.

Lingering carbon dioxide already emitted from power generation, transport and agriculture is already likely to raise sea levels by around three feet by the end of the century, and potentially by 70 feet in the centuries to come. Increasing temperatures will shrink the polar ice caps, make large areas of the Middle East and North Africa unbearable to live in and accelerate what’s known as Earth’s “sixth mass extinction” of animal species.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Earth warming at pace 'unprecedented in 1000 years
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:28am

Oh, NO. The Mediaeval Warm Period has been downgraded again. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

1997 - 62.45ºF 2015 - 58.62ºF. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 1:05pm

lee wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:28am:
Oh, NO. The Mediaeval Warm Period has been downgraded again. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

1997 - 62.45ºF 2015 - 58.62ºF. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Thanks for the BS Pinnochio.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 1:41pm

Errr...forgive me for mentioning this but haven't we had about 100,000 plus posts on this already? Cheesy

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 1:45pm

Unforgiven & his other incarnations, all of them special delivery from Trolls r Us, has a limited interest range.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 1:58pm

Here we go again......

Summer is coming, so its all zealots on deck to scream global warming.

Winter is climate change, summer is global warming.
Its becoming so repetitive and so stupid that its almost funny.

So, I will state what I say each and every time.
The earth has and will continue to go through heating and cooling cycles.
It has been doing this for millions of years.
Humans did not contribute to any of the previous ice ages or heating cycles.

Climate witch doctors, scientists, don't know what caused the previous climate changes.
If they don't know what caused these climate changes, how can they extrapolate on any data that does not consider or factor in these changes.

They just don't know enough and don't have all the data to be able to make an accurate prediction.

AGAIN;
If they cannot predict the weather two weeks from now with any accuracy, how the hell can they accurately predict climate in the next 10-20 or 100 years, its all bull sh#t.

And that old chestnut about weather being too complex to predict.
Well HELLO, how bloody complex is the climate, especially when you don't consider or have accurate data about  similar global climate change that has happened several times before?

AGAIN
Yes, we do need to clean up our act.
YES we do not and should not live with uncontrolled pollution.
YES YES YES, we are damaging our waterways, oceans and land with over population, farming and deforestation.
BUT
Climate change is just a nice little earner for a group of witch doctors, scientists who without all this scaremongering, would have nothing else to do.

Rant done

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 2:05pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 1:05pm:
Thanks for the BS Pinnochio.

Thank you for ignoring the "science" as per NOAA. Wink

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 3:10pm

red baron wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 1:41pm:
Errr...forgive me for mentioning this but haven't we had about 100,000 plus posts on this already? Cheesy

Thank you for commending me. I didn't think you had it in you.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 6:05pm

Fairly soon, Unforgiven will be wanting people to take this seriously:

I mean, we would not want people to walk out in the sun and spontaneously combust, would we?

Wink

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 7:03pm

Its all a plot by the muzzos to get the burkini accepted.

Bloody muzzos, everything is their fault

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 7:26pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 7:03pm:
Its all a plot by the muzzos to get the burkini accepted.

Bloody muzzos, everything is their fault

Muslims own Valkie.

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:08pm

August Snows Across Northern Hemisphere 2016, Winter Arrives Early | Mini Ice Age 2015-2035 (211)

Published on Aug 28, 2016

With the supposed warmest year ever, here are seven locations where is has snowed or is still snowing in August 2016 in the Northern hemisphere indication a fast approaching brutally cold and snowy winter.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:24pm

Nice graph.
Unforgiven wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:12am:
Records of temperature that go back far further than 1800s suggest warming of recent decades is out of step with any period over the past millennium

And yet the slopes on the graph show similar warming and cooling periods over the last thousand years.

Slope equals rate of change.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:12pm

lee wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:24pm:
Nice graph.
Unforgiven wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:12am:

And yet the slopes on the graph show similar warming and cooling periods over the last thousand years.

Slope equals rate of change.

Lee darling, please note the very wide uncertainty bands in the data before about 1950.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:14pm

Yep. And then there is the uncertainty of the "data" after 1950. Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print