Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gun Laws and Crime/Mass shooting corrolation! (Read 215 times)
Megan Emily Jones

Australian Politics

Brisbane, Queensland
Gun Laws and Crime/Mass shooting corrolation!
Aug 30th, 2016 at 8:57pm

I know this is touchy controversial subject so I am warning people to tone down on the emotion!

But ever since I hear this debate since Australia has stronger gun Laws than the US as a result it is safer, but isn't this simplistic way of looking at it and isn't this just an extreme comparison, what about other comparisons that appear to be in the middle.?

Switzerland has lax gun laws and seems as safe, if not safer than Australia, what do you have to say about that?

So the whole point of me posting this post was to ask people whether the Laws and Crime rate or lack thereof is the result of the laws on guns or are there other factors?

I've always been skeptical of the view that strictness equals lower rates of crime???

Please share your views and experiences and anything else you see fit?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Gun Laws and Crime/Mass shooting corrolation!
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 9:04pm

*Shut up Aussie.  Just shut up.*

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 9:09pm

Its not just the gun laws, its also the gun culture.
The US has the perfect storm of criminally lax gun laws and an active gun culture which has the inevitable result of over 30,000 gun deaths a year

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 9:21pm

For me it is simple scenario.

More guns on the street = more guns available

More guns available = more people have access to guns

More people have access to guns = greater chances of guns being used

More guns being used = more loss of life due to guns

The average punter in a modern society has no need for guns. People can have the right to own guns if they have a legitimate reason (gun club, farmer, security).

The classic example of a social contract that works is the UK. The cops do not carry guns (ok their TRG does now due to terrorists). The rules of this social contact was "if cops don't carry guns, criminals will not either. This has worked well in the UK. It is amazing really. I am not aware of any other country have this sort of social contract with the criminals. A master stroke.

The US on the other hand enshrined the right in an early constitutional amendment. Making that country almost impossible to invade. The consequence is everyone can own a gun (within reason). This leads to a different social contract. The great equalizer. No matter how big you are I can shoot and kill you. In some states, like Texas, I can shoot and kill someone for just being on my property.

Australia removed automatic weapons from the community, put limits on what type of guns people with legitimate reasons to have one can have. Made it more difficult to own a gun. All for the great good that should not adversely impact anyone who has a legitimate need. It is not a right to own a gun, it is a priviledge.

In the US it is a basic right.

The US has more kills by gun and more people in jail than anywhere else. The land of the free my arse. The land of money and power. If you have them you are OK but still at risk of a loon that can grab a gun easily and go on a rampage.

In Australia the loon has to plan more to get a gun. if the loon is just acting out on the spot then he will have to choose less lethal means of assault.

Good on Australia for doing something with the whole society in mind.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 7:55am

Any one in Australia can get hold of a gun with no problem.

Illegal guns are readily available everywhere and really quite cheap.

In fact, several guns handed in to the farcical gun buy back scheme were later used in crime, so the criminals inhabit even those who are meant to protect us.

In saying this, I don't like guns.
Only cowards and mentally retarded want guns, we no longer have to protect ourselves from wild animals
(Criminals excluded, however its usually them that have the guns)
Why anyone gets off on shooting things completely eludes me.
But I do defend a persons right to legally own anything that is legal to own.

Many years ago, before our politicians became the cowardly idiots they are today.
As a Scout, we carried knives everywhere.
My father carried a small pocket knife all his life.
These were not weapons, they were tools, to open things and eat apples etc.
Now its illegal to even carry a silly little 1 inch Victronox knife to skin fruit.
Have we become so afraid of everything? have we lost the ability to see that some people are innocent until proven guilty?

Our leaders now ban everything, we are far too over regulated.
It should be legal to carry a tool, and the law (I use that term loosely) should come down heavily on any who abuse that tool.
But that's too hard.
Far easier to say....blanket ban.

Whats next?
Will we need to register every tool we may carry?
That will probably come to pass in the future, after all, there may be some revenue in building a database of tool used by tradesmen, with a small fee of course.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 8:11am

I agree with Valkie - there are more illegal firearms available now than there were legal ones at the time Wee Johnnie brought in his little man's laws to do down his betters.

At that time I owned two large calibre rifles and one smaller calibre - I haven't possessed any for many years no, and have no reason to want to - but I do object to the way governments went about stamping out the Right of honest citizens to own a firearm, by a perversion of law called 'domestic violence orders' that permitted the legitimised theft of legally owned firearms by the State etc (and which concomitantly lead to a massive increase in violence BY the state, by some using these things maliciously, and by the retaliatory actions of some - ACA last night had two cases of women killed after taking out DVOs - I long ago cited that the very fact of doing so is often the trigger for the ultimate response, yet all we ever hear is more and more oppression of the 'accused', accused by a false standard of law, BTW).

On the flip side - not only have I been offered illegal firearms - but also explosives - by some people who imagined that with my history and ability to use such things - and my stance against government violence and intrusion - I must be 'one of them' in preparing for the 'militia war' with the government over Rights.

Nothing could be further from the truth.... no point in bringing down the government structure - just modifying it to do its job properly, by firstly divesting this country of its government of two parties.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 11:52pm

Illinois has the highest number of gun related deaths in the US also the strictest gun controls. Go figure.
Further South your social status is governed by the size of your gun - Sunday afternoons (after church of course) there is a chorus of gunfire. Yet this is the most peaceful and courteous societies I have lived in. Americans have freedoms that Australians have slowly lost.
Americans have sense of community and responsibility that Australians do not.
IMO most of the crime here derives from income inequality and lack of opportunity of the poor. How can someone live $8.70/hour?

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print