Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Overseas Holidays - Getting Cheaper by the day (Read 681 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Overseas Holidays - Getting Cheaper by the day
Aug 29th, 2016 at 11:54am

I subscribe to an online site that sells everything from spoons to cars.  Last week, they advertised a 14 day holiday to Canada and Alaska for two peole for just under $10K all inclusive.  That included all airfares (with Qantas or similar quality airline) a 7 nigh cruise, a rail journey and a small bus journey.  All meals, taxes etc.

I printed it out and took it down to the local Travel agent just for a second opinion.  Apparently, a lot of these sorts of companies buy blocks of holidays and sell them for just a small profit - even they couldn't match it - so, I think we will go next year.

The War Office and I travelled down from Darwin on the Ghan taking the car, it was nearly $6K! and that wasn't even in the top class!   There are some amazing deals out there at the moment

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Re: Overseas Holidays - Getting Cheaper by the day
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:54pm

Depends upon the time of year.

Would not recommend Alaska in the winter.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:05pm

Marla wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:54pm:

Around September this and next year Marla.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:24pm

Vic wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 11:54am:
Last week, they advertised a 14 day holiday to Canada and Alaska for two peole for just under $10K all inclusive.  That included all airfares (with Qantas or similar quality airline) a 7 nigh cruise, a rail journey and a small bus journey.  All meals, taxes etc.

a friend of mine is next month going to San Francisco via LA, air fare, 21 day cruise on a balcony suite (back towards Australia, not sure if it makes it all the way back or just part of the way) all meals AND ALCOHOL for about $5500 for the two of them. Normally grog is extra, but for cruises 21+ days it's included in the price.

He's a member of some cruise club that sends him all these crazy offers. Only thing is they're usually short notice

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:27pm

Im a believer in the if it sounds to good to be true motto

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:29pm

Its time wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:27pm:
Im a believer in the if it sounds to good to be true motto

normally I'd agree, but the friend I mentioned has been a member of this club for several years and had many such bargains .... never a problem. The only catch to that club is that you have a minimum spend per year to be eligible.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:33pm

Vic wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:05pm:
Marla wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:54pm:

Around September this and next year Marla.

I was in the Kanai Peninsula in July of 2010 if memory serves

Quite beautiful but also very touristy. September might be the perfect time to go when tourist season tends to wind down.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:35pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:24pm:
a friend of mine is next month going to San Francisco via LA, air fare, 21 day cruise on a balcony suite (back towards Australia, not sure if it makes it all the way back or just part of the way) all meals AND ALCOHOL for about $5500 for the two of them. Normally grog is extra, but for cruises 21+ days it's included in the price.

He's a member of some cruise club that sends him all these crazy offers. Only thing is they're usually short notice

sorry ... I made a mistake ... the ship departs from Seattle not San Francisco

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:41pm

September is a good time to travel, almost anywhere in the world.

And, I know someone in one of those cruise clubs - he gets very good deals.

Never been on one, myself.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:42pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:35pm:

That would be Explorer of the Seas John?   07 Oct 16 - Seattle to Sydney via Hawaii and a few other places.    I am on that cruise!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:44pm

Vic wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:42pm:

That would be Explorer of the Seas John?   07 Oct 16 - Seattle to Sydney via Hawaii and a few other places.    I am on that cruise!

no idea ... he's on a 21 day cruise, although the departure date sounds about right.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:47pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:44pm:
Vic wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:42pm:

no idea ... he's on a 21 day cruise, although the departure date sounds about right.

It's about 21 days - gets into sydney around 2 nov

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 5:09pm

I've never been on a Cruise, but know people who have.  Is it fun?

I travelled a lot when I was young, worked in the UK and Canada for a while. Always got home sick though ... missed the smell of eucalyptus and the sound of Magpies.

I am definitely not into Group Travel across Europe on a Bus. My sister and husband does that.  I've been to Scotland, England and Ireland, France and Italy,  America (East Coast)  New Zealand and even Fiji.

There is no way I want to see Bali or Thailand.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 5:12pm

Neferti wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 5:09pm:

I have a neighbour who got back from one on the weekend. She and her friends left the ship early in disgust. They're going to demand their fare back. Apparently the food was crap, the service poor and their cabin was covered in mold. It was a 'Captain Cook' cruise ship.

I guess it depends on the ship. The friend I mentioned earlier loves them and goes all the time.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 5:22pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 5:12pm:
Neferti wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 5:09pm:

I have a neighbour who got back from one on the weekend. She and her friends left the ship early in disgust. They're going to demand their fare back. Apparently the food was crap, the service poor and their cabin was covered in mold. It was a 'Captain Cook' cruise ship.

I guess it depends on the ship. The friend I mentioned earlier loves them and goes all the time.

There is never anything good about CHEAP! A good reason NOT to go on one of the CHEAP CRUISES ....

I still remember that Aussie girl who died on a Cruise. Can't recall her name but it put me off travelling on a cruise, alone.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print