Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Public servants must tread carefully on Facebook (Read 948 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Re: Public servants must tread carefully on Facebook
Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:27am

When working with Defence and DMO, access to Facebook, twittter and other social media was blocked on Defence networks .   Along with many others, I had a pic of me in uniform on my private page.     We were all asked/told/encouraged to remove them for 'security' reasons.   Apparently, there is a little "dirt unit" in ASD who troll Facebook looking for Defence/APS member profiles.    Didn't really worry me all that much but I guess to some it was a breach or invasion of personal privacy

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:27am

Valkie wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:40pm:
Public serve us.............work???????

No compute?????????

Having had several positions in both Public and private employment I would say that in my case the work expectation is probably greater on the public side and has been like that for over 30 years. Exceptions of course.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:27am

Dnarever wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:23am:
John Smith wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 3:36pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 1:55pm:
Oh yeah of course and I'd also be concerned if public servants were revealing where they worked and were openly critical of govt policies on either side.
They must be seen to be impartial.

But my first point about the amount of time I SUSPECT employees spend on social media at work is a valid one. This i believe!

Bosses are able to track what you do online with work computers ... I don't see why the P.S. is any different. If someone was spending all their time on social media, they should be sacked. I suspect it doesn't happen as often as some of the anti public service crowd on here would like you to believe.

I have worked for several technology companies that have a substantial social media presence and expect their employees to be active on social media, including some time spent during work hours.

are they ok with their employees talking about their latest and greatest projects... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I am sure even the most relaxed of companies still have their NO GO zones..

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:33am

Dnarever wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:23am:
I have worked for several technology companies that have a substantial social media presence and expect their employees to be active on social media, including some time spent during work hours.

that's probably because it's a technology company that relies on social media to get it's name out there ... not all companies want that

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:47am

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 11:33am:
If I were an employer, what would concern me would be the time - my time - employees were wasting on social media.

What you mean posting a photo of the cool design the batista made in you latte isn't interesting?

IBI

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 3:16pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:27am:

No compute?????????

Having had several positions in both Public and private employment I would say that in my case the work expectation is probably greater on the public side and has been like that for over 30 years. Exceptions of course.

Actually, there are many areas of the public service that work extreemly hard and are absolutely critical to our lifestyle and well being.
You know that Im sure.

But there are far more that do very little actual work other than trying to justify their existance.
These are the true parasites, seat polishers.
Even public servants hate these potatos as it makes them all look bad

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 4:04pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 3:16pm:

No compute?????????

Actually, there are many areas of the public service that work extreemly hard and are absolutely critical to our lifestyle and well being.
You know that Im sure.

But there are far more that do very little actual work other than trying to justify their existance.

There are a magnitude of potatoes in private employment, more than I expected to find and more than any public employment I have seen.

In my previous position we had a guy who had been employed for close to 20 years,  The most common question asked about his was - does anyone know what he does ? Not sure if he was in charge of starting late finishing early chatting up the girls or just sniffing their seats but it did seem to be one of them.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 4:44pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 4:04pm:
Valkie wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 3:16pm:

No compute?????????

You know that Im sure.

There are a magnitude of potatoes in private employment, more than I expected to find and more than any public employment I have seen.

In my previous position we had a guy who had been employed for close to 20 years,  The most common question asked about his was - does anyone know what he does ? Not sure if he was in charge of starting late finishing early chatting up the girls or just sniffing their seats but it did seem to be one of them.

dna m y daughter said someone she worked for was promoted to another dept.. he decided to do a check of what everyone in the Dept did....he discovered one lady hadnt turned up to work for almost 3 months....why no one knew...no she wasnt on sick leave..no one even noticed she was missing...they discovered she was at home alive and well just not bothering to show her face..when she was made to turn up she demanded all sort because she was a heavy smoker.and did not want to go outside  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

as far as I know they are still allowed to get up and go for a smoke whenever they feel like it..

I am not sure how many private companies allow that... I bet its not many.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 10:56am

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 1:55pm:
But my first point about the amount of time I SUSPECT employees spend on social media at work is a valid one. This i believe!

Now I'm confused, is this thread about social media restrictions by employers or is this just another lazy sledge against public servants?

I work in the finance industry and all our PC usage is monitored. The amount of internet usage and the sites visited are all available to team leaders and management. I would imagine that most large organisations would have this software.

I also have to be careful what I divulge on social media (in my  own time). Obviously I can't discus clients or provide any other confidential information  but I also can't be critical of my employer or work colleagues.

Having said that, I can still reveal who my employer is on social media and my privacy settings are my own business. Politicians have just become control freaks

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #24 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 10:33am

Wolseley wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 10:09pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 11:19am:
Public servants must tread carefully on Facebook

I would suggest that this is just as true for workers in the private sector as it is for those in the public sector.

Probably true. I don't have first hand experience as an employee in the digital age, having been self-employed.
But I did have some time in the public service early on and I know, outside the higher echelon areas, the level of time-wasting was enormous.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 10:53am

Although not a public servant I do work for the govt. The public servants I interact with (as are I and other colleagues) are chronically understaffed and over worked. We dont have access to or even have  time to go on social media at work and we are all strictly prohibited from discussing or posting any work related issues on social media.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print