Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copy and paste across multiple threads = spamming (Read 1107 times)
Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Copy and paste across multiple threads = spamming
Aug 25th, 2016 at 6:30pm

"Juliar" should be banned for spamming. This account is posting the exact same stuff in multiple threads and possibly on multiple websites. Copying and pasting the same stuff adds nothing to the discussion and IMO is spamming. Here is identical text that has clearly been copied and pasted around the Forum (I won't paste the text but I will link to it).

Almost identical text is found in multiple threads here, here, here and here, and this text appears to be copied and pasted from here.

Why is this allowed?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Copy and paste across multiple threads = spamming
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 7:27pm

I don't know that pretending to be a scratched record is against the rules, Bam.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:07pm

Setanta wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 7:27pm:
I don't know that pretending to be a scratched record is against the rules, Bam.

It is not making a constructive contribution to the Forum to be copying and pasting crap from elsewhere, or posting the same text across different threads. It adds nothing of value to the discussion, especially when it's offtopic, and may as well not be there.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:19pm

Bam wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:07pm:

It is not making a constructive contribution to the Forum to be copying and pasting crap from elsewhere, or posting the same text across different threads. It adds nothing of value to the discussion, especially when it's offtopic, and may as well not be there.

In Pol Sucks many don't make a constructive contribution in my opinion but I'm not going to ban them all. How unusual is it for the same information/images to be posted in different threads? I'm not saying I don't find it repetitive but it breaks no rules. How many times do they go off topic? Should I ban them all? At least Juliar is pretty civil, look on the bright side.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 9:46am

Setanta wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:19pm:

In Pol Sucks many don't make a constructive contribution in my opinion but I'm not going to ban them all. How unusual is it for the same information/images to be posted in different threads? I'm not saying I don't find it repetitive but it breaks no rules. How many times do they go off topic? Should I ban them all? At least Juliar is pretty civil, look on the bright side.

There's a difference to making a considered reply to a topic (and I'm being very broad here) and simply copying and pasting text. A considered reply is one that is written for the topic each time. Copying and pasting is not. Pasting can add A LOT of text to the Forum very quickly and there needs to be reasonable restrictions on that practice. If there were no restrictions, a malicious poster could fill up the Forum with tons of crap and potentially crash the Forum.

The example I highlighted in the OP was the same poor-quality text four times in quick succession, in four different threads, with that text also being found elsewhere on the web. That should NOT be allowed IMO because I consider that to be spamming. One does not have to be selling a product or service to be a spammer; one could also be selling something else such as opinions.

I do copy and paste myself, by the way (usually articles that IMO merit discussion) but I will almost never paste the same text more than once. That is a sensible limit IMO, though that's just the limit I choose to follow.

There needs to be sensible limits to the practice to stop it getting out of hand and moderators can issue suspensions and bans where necessary. Suppose there were no rules against it and someone pasted the same text 5 times, 50 times, 500 times, 5000 times. Where does one draw the line? When they destroy productive discussion in the Forum? When they crash it? IMO a sensible limit could be any number from 1 to 5 (for the same text), or perhaps a time limit on duplicate pastes even if the text is different.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 10:27pm

Bam wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 9:46am:
Setanta wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:19pm:

There's a difference to making a considered reply to a topic (and I'm being very broad here) and simply copying and pasting text. A considered reply is one that is written for the topic each time. Copying and pasting is not. Pasting can add A LOT of text to the Forum very quickly and there needs to be reasonable restrictions on that practice. If there were no restrictions, a malicious poster could fill up the Forum with tons of crap and potentially crash the Forum.

The example I highlighted in the OP was the same poor-quality text four times in quick succession, in four different threads, with that text also being found elsewhere on the web. That should NOT be allowed IMO because I consider that to be spamming. One does not have to be selling a product or service to be a spammer; one could also be selling something else such as opinions.

I do copy and paste myself, by the way (usually articles that IMO merit discussion) but I will almost never paste the same text more than once. That is a sensible limit IMO, though that's just the limit I choose to follow.

There needs to be sensible limits to the practice to stop it getting out of hand and moderators can issue suspensions and bans where necessary. Suppose there were no rules against it and someone pasted the same text 5 times, 50 times, 500 times, 5000 times. Where does one draw the line? When they destroy productive discussion in the Forum? When they crash it? IMO a sensible limit could be any number from 1 to 5 (for the same text), or perhaps a time limit on duplicate pastes even if the text is different.

The limit is whether the rules are broken. Yes I could suspend J&L when they start going overboard but I personally would rather ask them to cut it out if I think it's going too far. But... I am just one mod and others are free to do as they wish.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 10:18am

The only time I intervene is when people start multiple threads on the same thing, with the effect that it fills up most or all of the board. My general rule is that if people respond to the threads, they are legit.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print