Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
We Are Still Paying Too Much For Pertol (Read 808 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
We Are Still Paying Too Much For Pertol
Aug 25th, 2016 at 1:03pm

ACCC: We are still paying too much for petrol   Sad   Sad   Sad
August 22.  The New Daily

Australian motorists are paying the lowest petrol prices in 14 years, yet retailers are earning higher margins than ever before, according to new data.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) latest report on the petrol industry shows average prices in 2015-16 were at their lowest levels since 2002.

During that period, the average price for petrol in the five largest cities – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth – was 121.7 cents per litre.

But ACCC chairman Rod Sims is worried about the retail margins in those areas, which went up by 1.2 cents per litre in the final quarter of the 2015-16 financial year.

“We remain concerned about the petroleum industry’s high gross retail margins, which indicate motorists are not reaping the full benefits of lower international crude oil and refined petrol prices,” Mr Sims said.   Sad

The report found that international crude oil and refined petrol prices in 2015-16 were at their lowest levels for over a decade.

However, the price of refined petrol is also determined by global and regional supply and demand conditions.

“This report suggests that in order for there to be more competitive pressure on retailers, consumers need to shop around and reward those offering the best-priced fuel.”

Among Australia’s five largest cities, retail prices in Brisbane have been the highest over the past 12 months.
petrol prices australia

Brisbane motorists have been paying 4.1 cents per litre more than the other four largest cities.

But there is some good news in Darwin, one of the markets previously criticised for a lack of competitiveness, where prices have fallen according to the ACCC’s report.

In the June quarter, retail petrol prices in Darwin were lower than those in the five largest cities, despite being as much as 10 cents per litre higher in previous years.

Monday’s report argued that a recent study into Darwin prices, along with the Northern Territory government’s fuel summit in October 2014, “may have contributed to the lower Darwin prices through more scrutiny and better transparency”.
Regional price gap falls

The average difference between prices in the regional locations monitored by the ACCC and prices in the five largest cities in the June quarter was 2.3 cents per litre.
petrol prices australia
Consumers are advised to compare prices online.

This was 5.5 cents per litre below the average difference in the March quarter, which was 7.8 cents per litre.

The ACCC recently released a Launceston regional petrol market study, which found rising price transparency was the key driver of increasing competition in the Launceston market.

The ACCC is continuing regional petrol market studies in Armidale and Cairns.
Consumers encouraged to use petrol apps

From May 20, data collected by the petrol price information service Informed Sources became publicly available.

Under the Informed Sources service, petrol retailers currently exchange site-by-site petrol prices covering most of Australia every 15 or 30 minutes.

“Some motorists have been quick to take advantage of these petrol price apps and are already using them to ensure they are getting the best price when they fill up,” Mr Sims said.

“This improved price transparency puts pressure on retailers to offer competitive prices or risk customers driving to a petrol station that does.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Re: We Are Still Paying Too Much For Pertol
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 1:50pm

Free "pertol" for everybody.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 2:06pm

What's "pertol"  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:28pm

Watched "War Dogs" the other week. There was a scene where some Middle Eastern driver was being asked about needing fuel for the journey to Baghdad. The driver responded that it's "no problem. Gas free" or something like that.

I know that the South American country Venezuela has very low petrol prices. However, is there any truth that petrol is free in some Middle East countries?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:26am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:28pm:
Watched "War Dogs" the other week. There was a scene where some Middle Eastern driver was being asked about needing fuel for the journey to Baghdad. The driver responded that it's "no problem. Gas free" or something like that.

I know that the South American country Venezuela has very low petrol prices. However, is there any truth that petrol is free in some Middle East countries?

Yes. You assemble a bunch of homicidal maniacs, arms, munitions and you go there and take it.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:41am

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:26am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:28pm:

Yes. You assemble a bunch of homicidal maniacs, arms, munitions and you go there and take it.

And you shall be our leader!

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 4:48am

Can't fault Unforgiven's logic there.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:43am

The Indonesians are paying AU 64c per litre for premium unleaded & AU 10c per litre for diesel.

The Yanks are only paying AU 76 cents per litre for unleaded

and AU 82 cents per litre for diesel.

We're still being ripped off.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 10:05am

Gnads wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:43am:
The Indonesians are paying AU 64c per litre for premium unleaded & AU 10c per litre for diesel.

many blessings

keep voting for your predicament !!!!

you empower this paradigm every time you vote for your politicians...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

either way be at peace

namaste

- : ) =

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 10:06am

Your answer: assemble a bunch of homicidal maniacs, arms, munitions and and take it for free.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 11:09am

LPG is a by product from the fracking process, that is in making the various grades of fuel, petrol, diesel, kerosene etc. LPG is a by product.

Therefore LPG should be dirt cheap, they get it for nothing.

As for petrol prices this time next year I predict they will go over $2/litre

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 1:00pm

Ajax wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 11:09am:
LPG is a by product from the fracking process, that is in making the various grades of fuel, petrol, diesel, kerosene etc. LPG is a by product.

Therefore LPG should be dirt cheap, they get it for nothing.

You have evidence that Libs will double the tax on petrol?

In regard to LPG price, they don't get it for nothing. The included LPG is part of the cost of oil and gas and the costs of processing and distribution are not zero.

If LPG was actually an undesirable byproduct of oil and gas production and processing producers would be happy for people to take it off their hands for free.

LPG is a good, it is in demand, therefore its price follows the law of supply and demand.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2016 at 1:05pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 9:02pm

Ajax wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 11:09am:

They say this every year, even at this time of year. When oil prices were $150/brl, petrol was topping $1.60/L and more. We figured then that it was possible to see a price hike up to $2/L. But, since it did not, and the oil price dropped to one-third of it's then high point. However, petrol did not drop very much, as petrol is taxed quite heavily.

Unless there is a massive demand for petrol/oil in Australia, we should not see a very sharp increase in petrol price.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 10:45pm

uh, no. You missed a decimal point. Their price for diesel is around $1 a litre.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 11:47pm

How much is the Tax per Liter? After you subtract that and take into account the cost to get the product to your local retailer what is the margin? Take the profit from the producers and you will not have any fuel to complain about, tell the government their taxes are too high!

According to the American Petroleum institute, Americans pay an average of 48.8 cents per gallon in taxes. The federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, while states set their own gas taxes.

OECD Gas Excise Tax Rates (Per Gallon), 2013

Country Tax Per Gallon

Australia $1.40

Austria $2.46

Belgium $3.10

Canada $1.25

Chile $1.93

Czech Republic $2.50

Denmark $2.95

Estonia $2.12

Finland $3.26

France $3.07

Germany $3.29

Greece $3.37

Hungary $2.08

Iceland $1.97

Ireland $2.95

Israel $4.20

Italy $3.67

Japan $2.16

Korea $2.69

Luxembourg $2.31

Mexico $0.00

Netherlands $3.79

New Zealand $2.01

Norway $3.67

Poland $2.01

Portugal $2.95

Slovakia $2.57

Slovenia $2.76

Spain $2.35

Sweden $3.10

Switzerland $2.99

Turkey $4.32

United Kingdom $3.44

United States $0.53

Average OECD $2.62

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print