Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depardieu (Read 1044 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Depardieu
Aug 23rd, 2016 at 9:34am

Another one or his movies on SBS the other night.
Michou D'Auber, about an Algerian boy fostered by a French couple during the Algerian war & all the associated problems in a small village.
But really it was all about watching Depardieu. He is an absolute giant of modern cinema.
Also starred Nathalie Baye, another of the wonderful talents the French have.

Why is it the French can take a simple story and make a great sensitive movie out of it and the Americans can only produce an endless stream of crap? It wasn't always that way.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Re: Depardieu
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 10:07am

I've always been a fan of Gerard's foreign (to us) films.

Even when he pisses on a plane.

Great actor.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 12:02pm

Depardieu = buffoon or bouffon (to him)

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 10:40pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 9:34am:
Why is it the French can take a simple story and make a great sensitive movie out of it and the Americans can only produce an endless stream of crap? It wasn't always that way.

You know I am always reluctant to offer an opinion unless asked for one.

In the crap movie market, its hard to compete with the US. That doesn't leave a lot of options. Actually, the US like Australia, produces a number of good movies every year, as Sundance will attest. But the problems are distribution networks and popular tastes. The major Hollywood producers are interested in making money, not movies. Most people don't read good books, let alone go to good movies. And I am wasting my time writing this when I could be watching the "Footy." (cloying familiarity of the diminutive abbreviation)

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 1:05am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 10:40pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 9:34am:

You know I am always reluctant to offer an opinion unless asked for one.

In the crap movie market, its hard to compete with the US. That doesn't leave a lot of options. Actually, the US like Australia, produces a number of good movies every year, as Sundance will attest. But the problems are distribution networks and popular tastes. The major Hollywood producers are interested in making money, not movies. Most people don't read good books, let alone go to good movies. And I am wasting my time writing this when I could be watching the "Footy." (cloying familiarity of the diminutive abbreviation)

Good opinion.

Its not just movie producers that are interested in making money; it is 99.9999% of the world work force that has that preference.

Box office take of movies is what counts to most producers throughout the world. Even in France and UK.

The American viewer likes action and not too much talk in the plot.

America made a lot of good movies which weren't commercially successful because of American audience tastes.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2016 at 9:43am

Ravages of time or too much of the good life?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print