Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A new Constitution for Australia? (Read 1816 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

A new Constitution for Australia?
Aug 22nd, 2016 at 4:34pm

Hi all,

I think one of the things we don't often talk about in Australian politics is political reform. Politicians expect us to follow rules, so it's only fair that they follow rules as well. The only way to do this is via the Constitution. Don't forget that the Constitution is a legal document, and is the supreme law of the land; if it says that something is not allowed, then it's not allowed and no law passed by the Parliament can conflict with it.

For e.g. I think there should be term limits for members of Parliament; no senator or member should serve more than 12 years in his or her lifetime. This would help with constant rotation, and prevent the 'career-politician' that we hate so much.

I also wonder what you guys think about adopting an American-style separation of powers system for Australia? I'm happy to go into details if anyone is interested.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: A new Constitution for Australia?
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 4:50pm

Can we separate the heads from their bodies after they have finished their terms?

Now that's a reform Id like to see

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 5:34pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 4:34pm:
Hi all,

I think one of the things we don't often talk about in Australian politics is political reform. Politicians expect us to follow rules, so it's only fair that they follow rules as well. The only way to do this is via the Constitution. Don't forget that the Constitution is a legal document, and is the supreme law of the land; if it says that something is not allowed, then it's not allowed and no law passed by the Parliament can conflict with it.

For e.g. I think there should be term limits for members of Parliament; no senator or member should serve more than 12 years in his or her lifetime. This would help with constant rotation, and prevent the 'career-politician' that we hate so much.

I also wonder what you guys think about adopting an American-style separation of powers system for Australia? I'm happy to go into details if anyone is interested.

Hi augcaesarustus,

What do you think about introducing a reform to give citizens/electors the right to 'recall' politicians [mid term] if it can be demonstrated that they made promises at election time, and then reneged on those promises in office [and for the right of citizens to 'recall' a pollie for any other 'miscreant'/offensive behaviour] ?

Google;
right of citizens to recall in u.s. states

e.g.
Recall election - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election
A recall election is a procedure by which voters can remove an elected official from office ... 30,000 signatures (4% of all adult citizens) are required to trigger a recall ... Several states proposed adopting a recall for US senators in the years .... (wrote in Brazilian Portuguese) English Title: The right of recall elected officials.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 5:36pm

Yadda wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 5:34pm:
Hi all,

Hi augcaesarustus,

What do you think about introducing a reform to give citizens/electors the right to 'recall' politicians [mid term] if it can be demonstrated that they made promises at election time, and then reneged on those promises in office [and for the right of citizens to 'recall' a pollie for any other 'miscreant'/offensive behaviour] ?

Google;
right of citizens to recall in u.s. states

e.g.
Recall election - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election
A recall election is a procedure by which voters can remove an elected official from office ... 30,000 signatures (4% of all adult citizens) are required to trigger a recall ... Several states proposed adopting a recall for US senators in the years .... (wrote in Brazilian Portuguese) English Title: The right of recall elected officials.

I like it.......................  Cool

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 5:41pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 4:50pm:
Can we separate the heads from their bodies after they have finished their terms?

Now that's a reform Id like to see

Your response indicates that you don't deserve to have an opinion.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 5:43pm

Yadda wrote on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 5:34pm:
Hi all,

Hi augcaesarustus,

Yes, I think this is an excellent idea.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 5:48pm

Some of the proposed changes would be to:

1) increase House terms to 4 years (fixed-terms);
2) introduce mixed-member PR voting system in the House;
3) reconstitute the Senate so that the State Legislatures elect senators, so that they can still serve 6 years;
4) restrict the total number of Ministers to no more than 9 in number;
5) implement 12 year term limits for members and senators;
6) reduce the power of the Senate so that it may only delay passage of legislation for nine months, after which the House of Reps has the final decision.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 7:16pm

What's wrong with the old Australian constitution:

1. Football;

2. Meat pies;

3. Kangaroos; and

4. Holden cars.

Everything else is irrelevant!

Oy Oy Oy.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 7:39pm

For e.g. I think there should be term limits for members of Parliament; no senator or member should serve more than 12 years in his or her lifetime.

I think 8 years is more than sufficient, total. They can't do 8 yrs local govt, 8 yrs state and then 8 yrs federal.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 8:14pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 28th, 2016 at 7:39pm:
For e.g. I think there should be term limits for members of Parliament; no senator or member should serve more than 12 years in his or her lifetime.

I think 8 years is more than sufficient, total. They can't do 8 yrs local govt, 8 yrs state and then 8 yrs federal.

How about 2 terms. Four years in parliament and four in jail.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 9:55pm

So, generally, it would be 12 years in either House or in both, in any combination of terms. I think 12 years is the right balance. This is the standard in the USA in States where term limits are implemented.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 9:56pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 28th, 2016 at 8:14pm:

How about 2 terms. Four years in parliament and four in jail.

Now, now. Let us be reasonable.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 9:57pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 28th, 2016 at 7:16pm:
What's wrong with the old Australian constitution:

1. Football;

2. Meat pies;

3. Kangaroos; and

4. Holden cars.

Everything else is irrelevant!

Oy Oy Oy.

3 years is too short.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:28am

The inertia to be overcome would be gargantuan.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 2:39pm

issuevoter wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:28am:
The inertia to be overcome would be gargantuan.

What on earth are you talking about?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print