Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print
The Trouble with Atheists (Read 14224 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: The Trouble with Atheists
Reply #75 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 7:10am

Atheism & Beyond Presents..

Proving That Nobody Can Get Into Heaven.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #76 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 9:56am

The Trouble with Atheists SATANISTS......

Quote:

......‘The atheists no longer want to be tolerated.

They want to monopolize the public square and to expel Christians from it …

In short, they want to make religion—and especially the Christian religion—disappear from the face of the earth’ (xv).

http://creation.com/review-whats-so-great-about-christianity-dsouza

Question;

Why would those who say that they worship tolerance, seek such a position ?

And your argument is, that atheists do not seek such a position, and that atheists are [the most] reasonable of all people ?            [.....haha.   it is to laugh]

Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #77 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 5:19pm

I don't know anyone who "worships tolerance," although I think a fair proportion of people in the West think it is a better idea than intolerance.

As to the quote: monopolize the public square, expel those who disagree, and force a specific religion to disappear. Well, I cannot speak for anyone else, but you lot who fear the God of Abraham, have had a pretty good run of doing these dastardly things. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, you get all "Holier than thou" about it.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #78 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 11:21pm

Yadda wrote on Sep 17th, 2016 at 9:56am:
The Trouble with Atheists SATANISTS......

Quote:

......‘The atheists no longer want to be tolerated.

They want to monopolize the public square and to expel Christians from it …

In short, they want to make religion—and especially the Christian religion—disappear from the face of the earth’ (xv).

http://creation.com/review-whats-so-great-about-christianity-dsouza

Question;

Why would those who say that they worship tolerance, seek such a position ?

And your argument is, that atheists do not seek such a position, and that atheists are [the most] reasonable of all people ?            [.....haha.   it is to laugh]

Smiley

Why do you behave like a martyr? Cry

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 3:00pm

The true formula of atheism is not God is dead – even by basing the origin of the function of the father upon his murder, Freud protects the father – the true formula of atheism is God is unconscious.[1]

In order to properly understand this passage, one has to read it together with another thesis of Lacan. These two dispersed statements should be treated as the pieces of a puzzle to be combined into one coherent proposition. It is only their interconnection (plus the reference to the Freudian dream of the father who doesn’t know that he is dead) [2] that enables us to deploy Lacan’s basic thesis in its entirety:

As you know, the father Karamazov’s son Ivan leads the latter into those audacious avenues taken by the thought of the cultivated man, and in particular, he says, if God doesn’t exist… – If God doesn’t exist, the father says, then everything is permitted. Quite evidently, a naïve notion, for we analysts know full well that if God doesn’t exist, then nothing at all is permitted any longer. Neurotics prove that to us every day. [3]

The modern atheist thinks he knows that God is dead; what he doesn’t know is that, unconsciously, he continues to believe in God. What characterizes modernity is no longer the standard figure of the believer who secretly harbors intimate doubts about his belief and engages in transgressive fantasies; today, we have, on the contrary, a subject who presents himself as a tolerant hedonist dedicated to the pursuit of happiness, and whose unconscious is the site of prohibitions: what is repressed are not illicit desires or pleasures, but prohibitions themselves. “If God doesn’t exist, then everything is prohibited” means that the more you perceive yourself as an atheist, the more your unconscious is dominated by prohibitions which sabotage your enjoyment. (One should not forget to supplement this thesis with its opposite: if God exists, then everything is permitted – is this not the most succinct definition of the religious fundamentalist’s predicament? For him, God fully exists, he perceives himself as His instrument, which is why he can do whatever he wants, his acts are in advance redeemed, since they express the divine will…)

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #80 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 5:37pm

Frank wrote on Jan 14th, 2017 at 3:00pm:
The true formula of atheism is not God is dead – even by basing the origin of the function of the father upon his murder, Freud protects the father – the true formula of atheism is God is unconscious.[1]

In order to properly understand this passage, one has to read it together with another thesis of Lacan. These two dispersed statements should be treated as the pieces of a puzzle to be combined into one coherent proposition. It is only their interconnection (plus the reference to the Freudian dream of the father who doesn’t know that he is dead) [2] that enables us to deploy Lacan’s basic thesis in its entirety:

As you know, the father Karamazov’s son Ivan leads the latter into those audacious avenues taken by the thought of the cultivated man, and in particular, he says, if God doesn’t exist… – If God doesn’t exist, the father says, then everything is permitted. Quite evidently, a naïve notion, for we analysts know full well that if God doesn’t exist, then nothing at all is permitted any longer. Neurotics prove that to us every day. [3]

The modern atheist thinks he knows that God is dead; what he doesn’t know is that, unconsciously, he continues to believe in God. What characterizes modernity is no longer the standard figure of the believer who secretly harbors intimate doubts about his belief and engages in transgressive fantasies; today, we have, on the contrary, a subject who presents himself as a tolerant hedonist dedicated to the pursuit of happiness, and whose unconscious is the site of prohibitions: what is repressed are not illicit desires or pleasures, but prohibitions themselves. “If God doesn’t exist, then everything is prohibited” means that the more you perceive yourself as an atheist, the more your unconscious is dominated by prohibitions which sabotage your enjoyment. (One should not forget to supplement this thesis with its opposite: if God exists, then everything is permitted – is this not the most succinct definition of the religious fundamentalist’s predicament? For him, God fully exists, he perceives himself as His instrument, which is why he can do whatever he wants, his acts are in advance redeemed, since they express the divine will…)

Yeah, great. I don't care whether people believe in what they dream up, or not. Just explain W T F you mean by God. You expect people to know what you are talking about?

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #81 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:54am

Quote:
Yeah, great. I don't care whether people believe in what they dream up, or not. Just explain W T F you mean by God. You expect people to know what you are talking about?

Yeah that's the bottom line isn't it? What is your definition of God? And then I'll tell if I do or do not think that there is any credibility to that definition.

I've been involved in these debates over many years, and very little in recent years because I am happy that these debates caused me to research and come to a conclusion that sits well with me.

My conclusion is that religions have evolved (or de-evolved) through ancient astrology and allegorical stories which explained the movement of the planets as best as scientific observers could manage at the time. Personally, I think they were brilliant. The ancient religious (political) usurpers were not so brilliant, but successful in gaining control over many people.

Research on the existence of one "Jesus Christ" came up with absolutely nothing. The overwhelming evidence that such an amazing and magical person did not even exist reveals itself in the total lack of historical records. Of course "Jesus Christ" is merely an allegorical depiction of the sun, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm happy with the debates that I've been involved in because it caused me to seek the truth for myself and realise that I don't need to spend any more time on the religious argument when there are so many other things in life that deserve greater attention.i

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #82 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:22am

Vote for God, he'll make the world great again!

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #83 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:51am

Amadd wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:54am:
Quote:

Yeah that's the bottom line isn't it?

What is your definition of God?

And then I'll tell if I do or do not think that there is any credibility to that definition.

I don't believe that men, any man, has the intellectual capacity to understand what 'God' is, or to describe what 'God' is.

He is too, too high above us.

I certainly can't describe Him, without the use of superlatives.

He is just 'awesome', and imo, beyond our ken.

In scripture, God describes men, as like grasshoppers, in comparison to himself.

And he says too, that his ways are incomprehensible, to a man.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

I believe.

And i have some sense, of all of my thoughts being vanity.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 7:17pm

Issue, Amadd

There is not much of a discussion to be had if you want a definition of god. God has been discussed by people for millennia and if you want m to give you a definition of the god that they have all been talking about all these thousands of years then I have to tell you that I can't give you such a definition.

But I can tell you with absolute certainty that god has been on the minds of people for a very long time.

If you now want to get on some imaginary 'scientific, intellectual' high horse and dismiss out of hand everyone who has gone before you because they have not come up with a definition that will make you think then nothing will make you think.

What are the parameters of the definition of god that you are prepared to accept? Scientific (ie materialist)? Well, expecting such a materialist definition of the idea of god shows then you are unprepared for answers to your own questions.

There is NO materialist definition of god because god is not a materialist idea. Will you accept any non-materialist definitions as valid or will you fault all of them for not being materialist?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 7:20pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 14th, 2017 at 5:37pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 14th, 2017 at 3:00pm:

The heading of my post will take you to a piece that expands on the first few paragraphs I posted. Have a look at that link, read it. You will be p!ssed off, I expect, mostly because it will make you think like you haven't been made to think for years.

I am not asking you to accept it or agree with it. Just have a look.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #86 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 9:25pm

Frank wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 7:17pm:
Issue, Amadd

There is not much of a discussion to be had if you want a definition of god. God has been discussed by people for millennia and if you want m to give you a definition of the god that they have all been talking about all these thousands of years then I have to tell you that I can't give you such a definition.

But I can tell you with absolute certainty that god has been on the minds of people for a very long time.

If you now want to get on some imaginary 'scientific, intellectual' high horse and dismiss out of hand everyone who has gone before you because they have not come up with a definition that will make you think then nothing will make you think.

What are the parameters of the definition of god that you are prepared to accept? Scientific (ie materialist)? Well, expecting such a materialist definition of the idea of god shows then you are unprepared for answers to your own questions.

There is NO materialist definition of god because god is not a materialist idea. Will you accept any non-materialist definitions as valid or will you fault all of them for not being materialist?

What are you talking about? Further; I cannot be an atheist if I don't know what it is is I am not supposed to believe in.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 9:35pm by issuevoter »  

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #87 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 1:26am

Yadda wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:51am:
Quote:

And then I'll tell if I do or do not think that there is any credibility to that definition.

I don't believe that men, any man, has the intellectual capacity to understand what 'God' is, or to describe what 'God' is.

In scripture, God describes men, as like grasshoppers, in comparison to himself.

Then by what right does anyone have to claim that something they disagree with is against god's will?

Or that an event that happened was god's will?

Take hurricane Katrina for example, preachers claimed that the hurricane was god's will, punishment for the sins of homosexuality and debauchery. (Ignoring the fact that the one place that suffered the least damage was the red light district of New Orleans,. Y'know the place full of sin and debauchery)

It's a con job, modern day religion is so far removed from "god." Look at Oral Roberts "if I don't get 8 million dollars in 3 months god will kill me." Prick got $9 million.

God is a convenient, powerful tool to use against ignorant, downtrodden people. A method of control that keeps humanity from reaching its full potential. As long as religion exists we will always be slaves.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #88 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 7:46pm

Raven wrote on Jan 18th, 2017 at 1:26am:
Yadda wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:51am:
Quote:

Then by what right does anyone have to claim that something they disagree with is against god's will?

Or that an event that happened was god's will?

Take hurricane Katrina for example, preachers claimed that the hurricane was god's will, punishment for the sins of homosexuality and debauchery. (Ignoring the fact that the one place that suffered the least damage was the red light district of New Orleans,. Y'know the place full of sin and debauchery)

It's a con job, modern day religion is so far removed from "god." Look at Oral Roberts "if I don't get 8 million dollars in 3 months god will kill me." Prick got $9 million.

God is a convenient, powerful tool to use against ignorant, downtrodden people. A method of control that keeps humanity from reaching its full potential. As long as religion exists we will always be slaves.

OK.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 7:27am

issuevoter wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 9:25pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 7:17pm:
Issue, Amadd

What are you talking about?

I am asking you what kind of definition of god do you want?
You wanted a definition of god. There is a definition of god in every dictionary but you obviously do not accept them. SO what definition would you accept?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print