Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
The Trouble with Atheists (Read 14292 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: The Trouble with Atheists
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:14pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 10:41pm:
Atheism & Beyond Presents..

Proving That Nobody Can Get Into Heaven.

Heaven is a concept; a way of denigrating reality as a second rate experience.That way we will not feel so bad about F***ing the world up, and our relationship with other people. If you take away the concept of heaven, weak-minded people get desperate. "Sh1t. You mean this is all there is?"

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:28pm

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:09am

Yadda wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 10:42pm:
Nobody who reads the bible, and understands what it is saying [to the human psyche], imo, could remain an atheist.

A. The bible is a work of fiction and not the word of god and
B. the only way the bible makes sense is if you use the 'god works in mysterious ways' mantra to excuse all the contradictions in it.

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 1:24am:
Their problem is that they begin from rebellion rather than curiosity; that is, rather than asking what proof is there for god, they begin by not liking the concept of god or what has been done in the name of god then working backwards from there.

You probably shouldn't start such statements by questioning others intelligence. Especially when you follow it with such blatantly stupid comments. You've never spoken to any actual atheists have you?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:49am

Nobody who reads the bible, and understands what it is saying [to the human psyche], imo, could remain an atheist.

I find this a wiggle statement, e.g. if I've said I've read it, yet am still an atheist, I must not have understood it.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:51am

John Smith wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:09am:

A. The bible is a work of fiction and not the word of god and
B. the only way the bible makes sense is if you use the 'god works in mysterious ways' mantra to excuse all the contradictions in it.

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 1:24am:
Their problem is that they begin from rebellion rather than curiosity; that is, rather than asking what proof is there for god, they begin by not liking the concept of god or what has been done in the name of god then working backwards from there.

You probably shouldn't start such statements by questioning others intelligence. Especially when you follow it with such blatantly stupid comments. You've never spoken to any actual atheists have you?

No but he's worked in tertiary education so clearly he knows intellectual curiosity. I'm beginning to suspect Culture Warrior is like my uncle who conned my grandmother when she told him I had found a job in tertiary education. My uncle said I work in tertiary education too, when in actual fact all he did was clean the toilets at the local university.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #20 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 1:15pm

Thanks all, for contributing to this thread, especially Bobby, for the videos. I have to admit I only watched the first one, because Atheists get a bit tedious at times. I am not one of them. I'd rather tell people what I believe, than what I don't believe.

When it comes to Jesus, as the video did, I have to say the numbers involved in converting the Romans, seem to indicate that Jesus did preach in Palestine. But if anyone wants to convert me to Christianity, they are going to have to drop the idea that he was conceived by some other method than me. You'd have to be extremely gullible to fall for that line, even if Joseph did.

But Joseph was probably a decent old chap who just wanted to protect Mary's reputation. That, I can believe, when I look at the way Middle Eastern tribes view female sexuality today. Actually, I don't believe that, and I just broke my first rule.

I suspect that Jesus was a familiar type of neurotic; the type that fixates on the themes of religion which charismatic cult leaders use to great effect. His were pagan times. He was surrounded by all kinds of beliefs. I also suspect that Jesus's disciples, who were much like him, put together or encouraged the stories of virgin birth, and his rising from the dead. Their choice was predictable in some ways, because people had been expecting a kind of Lone Ranger for some time.

The pagan religions had an endless supply of gimmicks and entertaining stories. So the disciples had to out-do them. An Abrahamic gimmick was the one all encompassing cosmic idea. That has a strong appeal to human logic, even if it requires believing in ghosts. It probably came about by an evolutionary process.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2016 at 1:21pm by issuevoter »  

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #21 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 2:17pm

Many atheists do indeed feel the need to constantly tell their view point. A bit like vegans.

How do you know if a person is a vegan at a party? They'll tell you.

The same can be said for many atheists

Raven himself is an atheist though he only expresses his views when religious people express theirs.

Though one must pick their battles. For the sake of domestic harmony Raven does not express his views at home. Raven's wife is a Christian and her father is a pastor at their church.

Some of the things they say and believe are frankly idiotic to Raven but because he loves his wife he keeps his mouth shut. 

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #22 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 2:22pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:49am:

I find this a wiggle statement, e.g. if I've said I've read it, yet am still an atheist, I must not have understood it.

Agreed.

The bible is a collections of stories written by various authors, who often contradict one another.

A god who is the same now as he was at the beginning of time would surely have made certain that his word was not open to interpretation.

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #23 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 2:53pm

issuevoter wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 1:15pm:
Thanks all, for contributing to this thread, especially Bobby, for the videos. I have to admit I only watched the first one, because Atheists get a bit tedious at times. I am not one of them. I'd rather tell people what I believe, than what I don't believe.

When it comes to Jesus, as the video did, I have to say the numbers involved in converting the Romans, seem to indicate that Jesus did preach in Palestine. But if anyone wants to convert me to Christianity, they are going to have to drop the idea that he was conceived by some other method than me. You'd have to be extremely gullible to fall for that line, even if Joseph did.

But Joseph was probably a decent old chap who just wanted to protect Mary's reputation. That, I can believe, when I look at the way Middle Eastern tribes view female sexuality today. Actually, I don't believe that, and I just broke my first rule.

I suspect that Jesus was a familiar type of neurotic; the type that fixates on the themes of religion which charismatic cult leaders use to great effect. His were pagan times. He was surrounded by all kinds of beliefs. I also suspect that Jesus's disciples, who were much like him, put together or encouraged the stories of virgin birth, and his rising from the dead. Their choice was predictable in some ways, because people had been expecting a kind of Lone Ranger for some time.

The pagan religions had an endless supply of gimmicks and entertaining stories. So the disciples had to out-do them. An Abrahamic gimmick was the one all encompassing cosmic idea. That has a strong appeal to human logic, even if it requires believing in ghosts. It probably came about by an evolutionary process.

Isaiah 7 which says
"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."
is probably a mistranslation or done on purpose from the Greek Septuaginta. The Dead Sea scroll of Isaiah says "young woman".

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #24 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 3:34pm

After Raven's parents died he was raised in a cult. Every week on the day of the Sun God Ra he had to kneel before an ancient device of torture and ritualistically consume symbolic flesh and blood.

Once Raven reached adulthood he questioned the core beliefs of this old cult and decided that it no longer appealed to him. This was done after years of reflection and study of their ancient texts.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #25 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 5:25pm

Setanta wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 2:53pm:

Isaiah 7 which says
"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."
is probably a mistranslation or done on purpose from the Greek Septuaginta. The Dead Sea scroll of Isaiah says "young woman".

They could behold whatever, but that woman did it the old-fashion way.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 7:17pm

I read somewhere that there's a religious part of our brains that
has given us an evolutionary advantage.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #27 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:52pm

What advantage

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #28 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:18pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:52pm:
What advantage

just google

religious part of our brains that has given us an evolutionary advantage

& you'll get 8 million hits.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #29 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:39pm

What, you mean that what we know as 'ghosts', are not real !?        Shocked

Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print