Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Canada or Australia, which is more British? (Read 830 times)
Megan Emily Jones

Australian Politics

Brisbane, Queensland
Canada or Australia, which is more British?
Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:00pm

In terms of:
a) mannerisms
b) slang (what they call certain things)
c) how they spell things (eg. Colour vs Color)
d) mentality
e) how they interact and converse with people
f) overall disposition of the population

particularly English Speaking Canadians and how they compare to Australians when it comes to what they inherited to most of British culture since both Aussies and English speaking Canucks are both the products of British settlement and both being members of the commonwealth and both being Constitutional monarchies.

I ask this is because I am an Aussie myself and was wondering if I would be wrong to think Canadians are British because of the personality of the people, but please correct me if I am wrong?

Any experience in this issue.

Any comments or opinions?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Canada or Australia, which is more British?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 8:07pm

Sorry Deary, haven't you heard? It's Canadia

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:40pm

I was under the impression that Canadians were just honourary Americans. But after having a glock pointed at my face, and a Canuck telling me to change my opinion, I think it best to not make comparisons.

Found it kind of strange that Canada isn't much of an Olympic sporting nation, or a Commonwealth sporting nation. Seeing that they can't get many medals in either competition. They are only just north of the USA. But, I guess that's comparing them with Americans again.

(*looks around defensively for armed Canadians*)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 11:49am

I am  the partial product of Canadians moving to Australia. The other half is a rather typical Anglo-Irish with a couple of convicts thrown in for good measure. The Canadian cousins have been there since 1808.

As far as accent and language is concerned, Canada is more like the United States than Britain.They had more and earlier influences than Australia. Don't forget Canada was French, like Louisiana, before it was English. There is less Irish and more Scots influence in Canada. Its all North America, and they had universities before the first convict ship arrived in Australia.

That being said, Australians don't speak like the English either. We use a combination of bog-Irish and Southern English (the counties around London) a region that has Norman French influence. For example; Centre (said with no R) as opposed to Center with an R, as spoken in all the other counties, the Midlands, the North country, Cornwall, Wales and Scotland included.

Canadian slang is more American than ours. Australian slang developed later and is more like 19th century English. North American usage has many earlier 18th century influences. For example: Guy- associated with Guy Fawks 1600, as opposed to Bloke, a 19th century London criminal class term.

To make a very broad generalisation, class for class, North Americans are not as foul-mouthed as Australians. That probably has a lot to do with convictism, as opposed to the slightly higher class of free religious settlers of Canada and the USA.

Canada's winters do not make life there more British. Winter is bitter and dry but bright, where Britain is dreary and wet, and warmer. Life in Australia was slightly more British. The terrace slums of Sydney, and the corner Fish and Chippery are British in ways never seen in Canada. The relatively depressed economy in Australia up to the 1950s, helped to keep perspectives rather narrow and British also.

In legal terms, Australia and Canada have more in common, than Canada and the USA. This has to do with the era, about 30 years apart, when both achieved dominion status in the British Empire. And both became more autonomous during the First World War.

But to answer the question, which is more British, I would have to say neither, and for different reasons. Big influences are Australia's isolation from Britain, and Canada's proximity to the USA.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 5:56pm

They are more or less the same negligible British colonies with British Queen as head of state.
Only difference is that Canada has own flag.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 10:15pm

capitosinora wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 5:56pm:
They are more or less the same negligible British colonies with British Queen as head of state.

Negligible? They were the largest colonies. As for the Canadian flag, many here will not remember the campaign to change it from the original defaced red ensign. It had nothing to do with independence. It was all about appeasing the Quebecois.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 11:24pm

issuevoter wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 10:15pm:
Negligible? They were the largest colonies.

India, South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt, Burma, Pakistan, Sudan. All former colonies of Britain. The British used Indians as a large contingent of their fighting force in WW2, and probably WW1. No, I don't think Australia and Canada were THAT important to Britain, other than strategically.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 5:03am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:40pm:
I was under the impression that Canadians were just honourary Americans. But after having a glock pointed at my face, and a Canuck telling me to change my opinion, I think it best to not make comparisons.

Found it kind of strange that Canada isn't much of an Olympic sporting nation, or a Commonwealth sporting nation. Seeing that they can't get many medals in either competition. They are only just north of the USA. But, I guess that's comparing them with Americans again.

(*looks around defensively for armed Canadians*)

I lived in Winnipeg for 7 months and found the Canadian there to be nothing more than frozen hillbillies. You may find more in the way of politeness with a Canadian than over an American but that doesn't necessarily mean you feel safer.  There were places in Winnipeg where I would not go even if it was cleaner (and whiter) then say, east Denver. 

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 5:23am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 20th, 2016 at 11:49am:
To make a very broad generalization, class for class, North Americans are not as foul-mouthed as Australians.

You have obviously never read one of my post.

Canada's winters do not make life there more British. Winter is bitter and dry but bright, where Britain is dreary and wet, and warmer.

Canadian winters are downright brutal. I grew up in a Colorado mountain town where I though I'd never see the sun again but was nothing to what I experienced in Winnipeg. -24 below 0F days after day can really do you in and the both the Red River and the Assiniboine seem to be frozen 10 months out of the year. To a Winnipeg Canadian they see this as "normal." 

Big influences are Australia's isolation from Britain, and Canada's proximity to the USA.

There is probably more major corporate American influence in Canada than Australia. Canada most likely receives more in the way of American retail, television, and music than Australia therefore you do hear a lot in the way of American slang. There is also a lot more in the way of "cross culture" in the sense that many Americans cross the border into Canada for work and vice-versa.   

Differences are in exports. Australia sends America Hugh Jackman (yay); Canada, Michel J. Fox (boo).

As for the limeys. Who cares? I'm not sure about Canada but in America most (if not all ) limeys living here are doing so illegally either by being in a really crappy and totally unlistenable "band" or they want to be an "actor" and live together with 10 other illegal limeys in a scummy downtown L.A./Hollywood apartment "Yeah man, we're gonna make it BIG someday." I cannot see Canada as being all that British in the sense that if the limeys can't handle winter in a place like Colorado, they sure as poo won't in Canada.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2016 at 5:30am by Marla »  

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 7:50am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 11:24pm:
Negligible? They were the largest colonies.

India, South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt, Burma, Pakistan, Sudan. All former colonies of Britain. The British used Indians as a large contingent of their fighting force in WW2, and probably WW1. No, I don't think Australia and Canada were THAT important to Britain, other than strategically.

Australia committed over 400,000 troops to the First World War.

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 7:42pm

Negligible? They were the largest colonies. As for the Canadian flag, many here will not remember the campaign to change it from the original defaced red ensign. It had nothing to do with independence. It was all about appeasing the Quebecois.

Ok then I'll correct myself. They are important British colonies.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2016 at 8:15pm by capitosinora »  

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 8:02pm

Australia & Canada are still British colonies unlike sovereign country America which liberated itself from British colonial rule long time ago.
For example Australia is still having British flag and British queen as a head of state who has constitutional right, at any time, to dismiss Australian "parliament" and "prime minister" what actually happened in 1974 to then democratically elected Prime Minister Gough Whitlam who wanted Australia to become an independent nation and republic. The official reason or excuse for his sacking, given by The Queens representative Governor General, was economic mismanagement. What an irony, during Whitlam government Australian national death was ZERO and since then rose to over $300 billion and none of the politicians has been sacked for "political mismanagement" so far.
Australian defence force is actually under direct command of the British army. The chief and commander of Australian army is British Queen that's why all regiments of Australian army have prefix Royal for example: Australian Royal navy, Royal Australian Air Force etc.
Robert Hughes one of the greatest world intellectuals who was living for more than 50 years in exile wrote, in his book "Australia beyond the fatal shore" about his country of birth: "Australia is spatially huge, culturally tiny and politically insignificant".
Today Anglo Australians are creed of genetically modified British convicts who were thrown away from British mainland by order of English pirate queen. They are basically nothing else but confused people who has lived in constant isolation without capacity to developed own cultural and national identity.

Please accept my apology for political incorrectness influenced by Mr. Donald Trump.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2016 at 8:21pm by capitosinora »  

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:18pm

Marla wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 5:03am:
I lived in Winnipeg for 7 months and found the Canadian there to be nothing more than frozen hillbillies. You may find more in the way of politeness with a Canadian than over an American but that doesn't necessarily mean you feel safer.  There were places in Winnipeg where I would not go even if it was cleaner (and whiter) then say, east Denver. 

The William Whyte precinct.

Webpage after webpage on Google, and not a single solitary word about the ethnic composition of this neighbourhood or the other crime neighbourhoods, and what this tells us is that the media over there is a lot more gutless and PC than what it is here in Sydney.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:28pm

Marla wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 5:23am:
North Americans are not as foul-mouthed as Australians.

You have obviously never read one of my post.

Her language is quite blistering, Issue. Pressure-packed into a small steel canister with a trigger on it would be more effective than pepper-spray.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #14 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 10:21pm

capitosinora wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 8:02pm:

Australia & Canada are still British colonies unlike sovereign country America which liberated itself from British colonial rule long time ago.
For example Australia is still having British flag and British queen as a head of state who has constitutional right, at any time, to dismiss Australian "parliament" and "prime minister" what actually happened in 1974 to then democratically elected Prime Minister Gough Whitlam who wanted Australia to become an independent nation and republic. The official reason or excuse for his sacking, given by The Queens representative Governor General, was economic mismanagement. What an irony, during Whitlam government Australian national death was ZERO and since then rose to over $300 billion and none of the politicians has been sacked for "political mismanagement" so far.
Australian defence force is actually under direct command of the British army. The chief and commander of Australian army is British Queen that's why all regiments of Australian army have prefix Royal for example: Australian Royal navy, Royal Australian Air Force etc.
Robert Hughes one of the greatest world intellectuals who was living for more than 50 years in exile wrote, in his book "Australia beyond the fatal shore" about his country of birth: "Australia is spatially huge, culturally tiny and politically insignificant".
Today Anglo Australians are creed of genetically modified British convicts who were thrown away from British mainland by order of English pirate queen. They are basically nothing else but confused people who has lived in constant isolation without capacity to developed own cultural and national identity.

Please accept my apology for political incorrectness influenced by Mr. Donald Trump.

Sometimes, I think people should be ignored if they do not understand language, but insist on trying to use it. I will, however, make an allowance in your case. Because you want to make it clear you disapprove of Australia and Australians.

Australia is not a colony and never was. If you understand this, then say what you mean. The separate colonies became states, then joined the Commonwealth, which was not a colony. If you think Queen Elizabeth or her government dismissed Whitlam, you are wrong. He was dismissed by the GG, who is an Australian Official. Let's be clear: those who want a Republic in Australia, like to suggest merely changing the name of the GG to that of President. If that was the case, then the President would have had to dismiss Whitlam whether we like the idea or not.

Not sure where you were going with your comparison of Australia and the USA. Australian Governments have been more beholden to the USA than Britain since the 1940s and the Battle of the Coral Sea. If you intend citing the USA as a better form of government, you are in for a long debate. The Australian Commonwealth of 1901 did not function as the Colony of Massachusetts in 1776, which was taxed without representation.

Now if you suggest colonial attitudes still had adherents in the 1940s, I could pass over that. Did every Australian feel that way? I can assure you my parents and grandparents did not.

Genetically modified convicts, of a pirate queen. Would you care to share your family background with us, so we can examine their history for their foibles?

And on isolation, you need to go and take a look at the check-in lines at the International Terminals.

To write about the historical facts of government and sociology with any accuracy, and before you condemn our nation, you need to do a lot more research.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print