Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Please support democracy in the Senate (Read 25637 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Please support democracy in the Senate
Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:58am

you're not claiming an opinion, you're claiming a fact. You said it hasn't worked when it has worked exactly as intended. FACT.

That you don't like how it works is your problem

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 8:01am

John Smith wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:58am:
you're not claiming an opinion, you're claiming a fact. You said it hasn't worked when it has worked exactly as intended. FACT.

this is tough but I dont care what you think

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 8:02am

cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 8:01am:

Lying to others is bad enough but you really shouldn't lie to yourself

of course you care ... that's why you reply to every single comment

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:27am

Aussie wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:53pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:32pm:
Cods it has nothing to do with left and right. I did not bring it up before the election because before the election, both Labor and Liberal were promising to do the right thing and use the new, fairer method that they had been promising to use for the last 20 years. After the election, both Labor and Liberal decided to hand themselves more senate seats by breaking their promise to do the right thing.

And according to Bam, the difference in outcome either way, is minuscule.

I'm basing my earlier analysis on some that appeared on Pollbludger that may have been incomplete. What is known is that the order of election method gives two major party Senators - a Victorian Liberal and a NSW Labor - a long term at the expense of Hinch and Rhiannon (Greens). I haven't yet seen complete detailed analysis.

What is clear though is that the Coalition are favouring the order of election method because it gives them a disproportionate number of long term Senate places (16/28) and the ALP favour it because it marginalises the Greens by forcing Greens back to the polls in 3 years in all six states.

I agree with freediver - the s282 method is fairer.

It's worth noting though that if the analysis is correct and complete (I don't know if it is), the difference is not large.

Under both methods, most of crossbenchers would be forced back to the polls in three years - three One Nation, Leyonhjelm (LDP), Bob Day (FFP), one NXT, five out of six Greens. The order of election adds two to this number - Hinch and Rhiannon (Greens).

The only crossbenchers who would get six-year terms under both methods are three Greens (Vic, WA, Tas), Hanson (ONP, Qld), two NXT (SA) and Lambie (Tas).

Order of election - crossbench: 7-13.
S.282 Recount - crossbench: 9-11.

IMO, this is why the major parties are going with the order of election method. They hope to gain seats from the crossbenchers in 2019.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:31am

John Smith wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 8:02am:

no I dont... your like a bad smell I just cant get rid of you......thats all...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:36am

cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:31am:

see, I told you that you cared. You had every opportunity to 'not care' but you went and proved yourself wrong instead. Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:36am

Bam wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:27am:
Aussie wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:53pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:32pm:
Cods it has nothing to do with left and right. I did not bring it up before the election because before the election, both Labor and Liberal were promising to do the right thing and use the new, fairer method that they had been promising to use for the last 20 years. After the election, both Labor and Liberal decided to hand themselves more senate seats by breaking their promise to do the right thing.

I'm basing my earlier analysis on some that appeared on Pollbludger that may have been incomplete. What is known is that the order of election method gives two major party Senators - a Victorian Liberal and a NSW Labor - a long term at the expense of Hinch and Rhiannon (Greens). I haven't yet seen complete detailed analysis.

What is clear though is that the Coalition are favouring the order of election method because it gives them a disproportionate number of long term Senate places (16/28) and the ALP favour it because it marginalises the Greens by forcing Greens back to the polls in 3 years in all six states.

I agree with freediver - the s282 method is fairer.

It's worth noting though that if the analysis is correct and complete (I don't know if it is), the difference is not large.

Under both methods, most of crossbenchers would be forced back to the polls in three years - three One Nation, Leyonhjelm (LDP), Bob Day (FFP), one NXT, five out of six Greens. The order of election adds two to this number - Hinch and Rhiannon (Greens).

The only crossbenchers who would get six-year terms under both methods are three Greens (Vic, WA, Tas), Hanson (ONP, Qld), two NXT (SA) and Lambie (Tas).

Order of election - crossbench: 7-13.
S.282 Recount - crossbench: 9-11.

IMO, this is why the major parties are going with the order of election method. They hope to gain seats from the crossbenchers in 2019.

I wish I understood that.....blimey its complex.. why dont we have the lot go to the polls every 3 years???.. if as you say the major parties can influence the outcome.. wouldnt that stop it?..

although you are lucky you understand what happens to your senate vote.. I dont and I can only guess I am not alone...so we go and elect anything...

you know there is a lot of interest in politics on forums like this... but not everyone is interested its just a chore to them

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:37am

John Smith wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:36am:
cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 9:31am:

see, I told you that you cared. You had every opportunity to 'not care' but you went and proved yourself wrong instead. Grin Grin

whew... ok you win.

IP Logged

Hoss
Gold Member

Australian Politics

talbot victoria
Reply #23 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 10:36am

HI ALL

The current situation is ?
The same old Smelly-creek in a barbwire canoe. The only problem is Turdballs has lost the paddle. Cool Cool

We need a good cleaner

Old n get radicalized by government

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #24 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 2:32pm

The Senate needs to be representative.

Currently Tasmanian Senators have 14 times the representative voting power of a NSW Senators.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 6:48pm

Quote:

According to Bam, the difference was the outcome of the Senate election. In what sense is that miniscule Aussie?

Quote:
what changes did they promise and what changes did they make

They promised to use the recount method instead of the order of election method. See the OP in the link I gave in the OP of this thread.

Quote:
and what if anything would be the difference

It is hard to tell without actually doing the recount method, but most likely it will affect which senators get 3 vs 6 year terms.

Quote:
you are annoyed they didnt make the changes they promised 20 years ago... what were they how do they differ to what did change???>..

Changes that they have been repeatedly promising for 20 years. It was an agreement to do something specific in the event of a double dissolution election, not something they promised 20 years ago and then forgot about.

Quote:
the senate hasnt functioned for Australia for years....it appears to me just a clone of the Reps...now with a few self interested people who all have a degree in selfhelp... and you want people to complain ....hahaha

It has been working as a house of review. Fundamentally, it is a check on power of the PM and lower house.

Quote:
I wish I understood that.....blimey its complex.. why dont we have the lot go to the polls every 3 years???.. if as you say the major parties can influence the outcome.. wouldnt that stop it?..

To put it simply, the senators themselves decide, as a group (by majority vote), who loses their seat in 3 years time. They agreed to do it fairly and repeatedly affirmed this promise. But when it came to the crunch, they acted out of self interest.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 10:10pm

Swagman wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 2:32pm:
The Senate needs to be representative.

Currently Tasmanian Senators have 14 times the representative voting power of a NSW Senators.

Thats easily fixed
Abolish the States

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:39pm

The senate is likely to vote on this when it first sits on August 30. Please make sure you let them know your disapproval before then.

The outcome of both methods will be made available by the AEC before the senate votes.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:49pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 7:19pm

I thought they were going to vote on this on August 18, but there is nothing in the media.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/coalition-and-labor-team-up-to-clear-out-crossbench-senators-in-2019-20160812-gqr29k.html

The Australian Electoral Commission has also provided advice, seen by Fairfax Media, regarding which senators would receive six-year terms using the alternative "recount" method - who would have been elected if it had been a half-Senate election.

Using this method - set out as a possible way forward under section 282 of the Electoral Act - Senator Hinch would have been elected at the expense of Liberal Scott Ryan in Victoria, and Senator Rhiannon would have beaten out Labor's Deborah O'Neill in NSW.

The top six for the other four states would be the same whichever method was used.

In a letter to Clerk of the Senate, Rosemary Laing, dated August 11, electoral commissioner Tom Rogers notes the Senate is not bound to follow the section 282 recount.

Senator Di Natale said the Greens support the recount method as "the fairer of the two" and "regardless of the outcome" for the party.

"The Labor and Liberal parties will stop at nothing to shut out everyone else from their cosy duopoly. Here they are again, voting together, to stop diverse voices in Parliament," he said, observing that both parties had previously advocated for the recount proposal.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 7:29pm

This Ship has sailed, freediver.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print