Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jacqui Lambie Secures A Six Year Position (Read 10224 times)
Sir Crook
Ex Member

Jacqui Lambie Secures A Six Year Position
Aug 14th, 2016 at 7:32am

Jacqui Lambie secures six-year position in Canberra   Smiley
The Mercury
August 14, 2016

TASMANIAN senator Jacqui Lambie will occupy her seat in Canberra for the next six years after a deal was struck to determine who will go full-term and who must return to the polls in three years.   Smiley

The Coalition and Labor, which have a combined majority in the Senate have agreed to stick to convention, meaning the first six senators elected in the recent poll will get six-year terms.

Under the deal, Tasmanian Liberal senators Eric Abetz and Stephen Parry, Labor senators Anne Urquhart and Helen Polley and Greens senator Peter-Wilson will not go to the polls for another six years.

Senator Lambie said despite much talk about three and six-year terms, the process was simple.

“Tradition, precedent, conventions and section 13 of the Australian Constitution lay out the rules and guidelines, which give clear direction to the Senate when it is time to make a decision,” she said.

“So if the Senate follows tradition, precedent and section 13 of the Australian Constitution — I will be allocated a six-year term.”

The new-look Senate will mean Labor senator Lisa Singh will have to go to the polls in three years with Labor’s Left-faction powerbroker Carol Brown and Right-aligned Catryna Bilyk.

Newcomer Liberal senator Jonathon Duniam and his colleague Liberal senator David Bushby will have to recontest in three years as will the only newcomer senator from Tasmania, Jonathon Duniam.

Former Tasmanian Greens leader Nick McKim, who was the last senator to gain a seat, will also be back in campaign mode in three years.

IP Logged

Sir Crook
Ex Member

Re: Jacqui Lambie Secures A Six Year Position
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 7:36am

Well done Senator Jacqui Lambie.  Good to see you will be back in the senate, for six years.   Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 7:53am

so they make more deals.. and that all good for the
country
.... I get it. Sad

IP Logged

Sir Crook
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:04am

We don't want the senate to become a rubber stamp, for either a labor or a liberal government.   Smiley

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:12am

Quote:
Well done Senator Jacqui Lambie.  Good to see you will be back in the senate, for six years.   Smiley 

I agree -she is doing a hell of a lot for veteran's welfare.   About time some pollie did!

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:19am

Well done J  Smiley

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 9:06am

Jacqui is a shining light for current One Nation Party Senators.

They can divorce Pauline and become independents ... just like Jacqui divorced Clive.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:27am

____ wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 9:06am:

They can divorce Pauline and become independents ... just like Jacqui divorced Clive.

I reckon that is a certainty!

Pauline will try to be the standover boss and they will rebel!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:32am

Labor and the Coalition have renegged on a change to the electoral act and two resolutions since then to use the new fairer method of allocating 6 year terms. Instead they have chosen once again to vote to give themselves more six year terms and screw over the other parties. They have tried to pass this off as the will of the people.

I encourage everyone to write to their local federal MP and complain about this.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:41am

freediver wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:32am:
Labor and the Coalition have renegged on a change to the electoral act and two resolutions since then to use the new fairer method of allocating 6 year terms. Instead they have chosen once again to vote to give themselves more six year terms and screw over the other parties. They have tried to pass this off as the will of the people.

I encourage everyone to write to their local federal MP and complain about this.

I agree, and I will be complaining about it.

I'm having lunch with Senator Glenn Sterle today and I'll be discussing this with him, and the other politicians who'll be there.

(When I say "lunch", it's a community event to introduce a candidate for the upcoming state election - i.e. sausage sizzle and a stubbie of Carlton Mid).

Glenn's a decent bloke, and I'll be interested in hearing what he has to say.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:42am

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:41am:

I'm having lunch with Senator Glenn Sterle today and I'll be discussing this with him, and the other politicians who'll be there.

(When I say "lunch", it's a community event to introduce a candidate for the upcoming state election - i.e. sausage sizzle and a stubbie of Carlton Mid).

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:43am

cods wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:42am:

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Are you happy with the Senate, cods?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:44am

Redmond Neck wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:27am:
____ wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 9:06am:

I reckon that is a certainty!

Pauline will try to be the standover boss and they will rebel!

if they go in on someone elses coat tails  they should be made to resign if they log off just because it suits them..

for all we know this will become a HABIT and a damn sneaky way of getting elected for 6 bloody years...

its wrong.. Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:47am

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:43am:

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I dont think so.....it seems to have turned into more that it was intended to do.. we now have people joining a group aka PUP.. not liking what got them in to the senate dropping out.. and making a career out of it...

I dont agree with that....you join something you stay with it until the end.....its not about YOU its about our country..

but it seems to me its turning into  a ME camp... and n o I dont like it...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:50am

cods wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:47am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:43am:

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I dont think so.....it seems to have turned into more that it was intended to do.. we now have people joining a group aka PUP.. not liking what got them in to the senate dropping out.. and making a career out of it...

I dont agree with that....you join something you stay with it until the end.....its not about YOU its about our country..

but it seems to me its turning into  a ME camp... and n o I dont like it...

I agree, and I'll be letting Glenn know that today.

I'll even pass on your comments (if you like).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print