Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Senate: Who gets the 6-year terms? (Read 11473 times)
Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Senate: Who gets the 6-year terms?
Aug 5th, 2016 at 10:00pm

Greens call on Labor to support 'fairer' method to share six-year Senate terms
(Excerpt quoted)
Quote:
The New South Wales Greens senator Lee Rhiannon has warned Labor to abide by fairer Senate rules in the allocation of six and three-year Senate terms following the double dissolution election.

“If Labor supports the first-six-elected method rather than the fairer method of a half Senate recount then Labor will be helping the Coalition boost their Senate numbers at the next election,” Rhiannon said.

“The main reason for is that under a recount method [Justice party’s] Derryn Hinch wins a long-term Senate seat at the expense of a Liberal senator.”

At issue is how long senators have before they face the next election. Senators are elected on six-year terms but only half the Senate faces an election at the end of every three-year House of Representatives term.

Malcolm Turnbull’s decision to call a double-dissolution election means the Senate needs to determine which senators are on a three-year term and which are on a six-year term, in order to fall back into the usual election pattern.

There are two counting methods which are available to the Senate. The first, which has been used historically in double dissolutions, sees the first six of 12 state senators receive the six year terms and the remainder appointed for three years. The second is a Hawke government reform known as section 282 which creates a second Senate count to allocate positions that more closely replicate a half-Senate election.

“Section 282 is more democratic and the Senate has acknowledged that on previous occasions,” Rhiannon said. “If the crossbenchers are interested in reducing the power of the major party duopoly then they would support the fairer recount method.”

The Australian Electoral Commission has yet to conduct the second count but the Senate is not legally committed to use the s282 results to determine the terms. Previously the “first six” method has been used.

An early analysis by data expert, Grahame Bowland, who is also co-convenor for the Western Australia Greens, found that under the s282 count, Rhiannon and Hinch would receive six-year terms over Victorian Liberal Scott Ryan and NSW Labor senator Deb O’Neill.

If the Australian Electoral Commission second Senate counts supports that analysis (and Bowland’s work has mirrored the AEC count thus far), this would force the major parties to decide whether to marginalise Hinch and the Greens, who have a balance of power bloc, or support longer terms for their own senators.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Senate: Who gets the 6-year terms?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 10:05pm

The government will go with whatever method it thinks will best serve the Lib/Lab duopoly.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 11:11pm

This is a toughy.  While I'd like to see a more diverse senate, giving the antisemite Rhiannon  a 6 year term is 6 years too much.

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:42am

What was their crime to get a six year term?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:43am

Belgarion wrote on Aug 5th, 2016 at 10:05pm:
The government will go with whatever method it thinks will best serve the Lib/Lab duopoly.

That's why I'm here and elsewhere - to ensure that duopoly vanishes from this earth.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 11:40am

I think you will see labor and liberal combine to force to historical method. We get rid of Hinch and at least one hanson senator quickly. That cant be bad.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 11:42am

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Aug 5th, 2016 at 11:11pm:
This is a toughy.  While I'd like to see a more diverse senate, giving the antisemite Rhiannon  a 6 year term is 6 years too much.

Agree

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 11:59am

longweekend58 wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 11:40am:
I think you will see labor and liberal combine to force to historical method. We get rid of Hinch and at least one hanson senator quickly. That cant be bad.

I agree!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:09pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:43am:

That's why I'm here and elsewhere - to ensure that duopoly vanishes from this earth.

well we did get a taste of that with the gillard govt.....two wishy washy senators got masses of support for their electorates....by all accounts.... is that really how its meant to work?..

I have always hoped whoever runs and is blessed with a seat........  govt reps or senate they are there for all of us....

why would I ever think that? Sad

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:35pm

cods wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:09pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:43am:

well we did get a taste of that with the gillard govt.....two wishy washy senators got masses of support for their electorates....by all accounts.... is that really how its meant to work?..

why would I ever think that? Sad

If your hope had been anything more than just hope with both Labor and Liberal, there would be no call for a divided house.  If their policies and approach to issues actually stacked up for the majority, there would be no problem.

― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:15pm

6 year terms?

They should all get life!

IP Logged

Sir Crook
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:11pm

The senate is the important house of review.  We don't want it to become a rubber stamp, for labor or liberal.   Smiley

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:23pm

I think you will see labor and liberal combine to force to historical method.

I'm not so sure. The order of election method would favour the Coalition.

ORDER OF ELECTION (states)

NSW: 3 Coalition 3 ALP, 2 Coalition, 1 ALP, 1 Grn, 1 ON, 1 LDP.
VIC: 3 Coalition, 2 ALP, 1 Grn, 2 Coalition, 2 ALP, 1 Grn, 1 Hinch.
QLD: 3 Coalition, 2 ALP, 1 ON, 2 Coalition, 2 ALP, 1 Grn, 1 ON.
WA: 3 Coalition, 2 ALP, 1 Grn, 2 Coalition, 2 ALP, 1 Grn, 1 ON.
SA: 2 Coalition, 2 ALP, 2 NXT, 2 Coalition, 1 ALP, 1 NXT, 1 Grn, 1 FFP.
TAS: 2 Coalition, 2 ALP, 1 Grn, 1 Lambie, 2 Coalition, 3 ALP, 1 Grn.

TOTALS: 16 Coalition, 13 ALP, 3 Grn, 2 NXT, 1 ON, 1 Lambie, 12 Coalition, 11 ALP, 6 Grn, 3 ON, 1 LDP, 1 Hinch, 1 FFP, 1 NXT.

This split would strongly favour the Coalition 16-12, the ALP slightly 13-11 and heavily disadvantage the Greens 3-6. Sum of these differences is 9.

The s282 method would give Hinch and a NSW Green 6-year terms instead of a Victorian Liberal and NSW Labor candidate. This would give much fairer splits of 15-13 for the Coalition, 12-12 for ALP and 4-5 Greens. Sum of differences is 3 - clearly the s282 method is MUCH fairer.

We get rid of Hinch and at least one hanson senator quickly. That cant be bad.

Hinch was elected 10th, so under the order of election mwthod he would get a 3-year term. Hinch would get a 6-year term under the recount method.

The same for the One Nation candidates - I think three of them would end up with 3-year terms under both methods. Hanson herself may get a 6-year term under both methods.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:43pm by Bam »  

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:55pm

Good way of getting the cross bench offside, early in the term.

Could see a boycott of all noncore issues by them. That would stuff up the coalition's recession causing agenda.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 3:24pm

____ wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:55pm:
Good way of getting the cross bench offside, early in the term.

Could see a boycott of all noncore issues by them. That would stuff up the coalition's recession causing agenda.

I don't see why. Senators like Day, Lyonhjelm and most of the ON senators would get three-year terms under both methods.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print