Send Topic Print
chapter 9 (Read 50294 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: chapter 9
Reply #60 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:11pm

Karnal I think your blathering about Gandalf's right to his own opinions is symptomatic of the corrupted perspective on rights and freedoms one must adopt in order to become an apologist for Islam.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #61 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:39pm

freediver wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 10:11pm:
How do I deny him the right to hold his religious views?

You constantly lecture me about being dishonest about my beliefs. So rather than accepting my assertions about my Islamic beliefs being about love and peace and tolerance, your premise is that Islam can only ever be a rigidly violent and intolerant religion, and that any muslims who says otherwise must be lying.

Your sneering quip in post# 50 is a case in point, and is basically saying "how are you going to lie your way out of the "truth" of chapter 9?" (the "truth" being that it is a universal call for muslims to be violent warmongers).

You always sneer at the idea of Islamic reform - I think because the only "reform" you could contenance is one where muslims renounce their prophet and probably most of the text - which you know they cannot do. I think you describe it "being honest" about the tenets of Islam - the clear insinuation being that muslims already accept your violent/intolerant version of Islam, but are too "dishonest" to acknowledge it. Never again will you accept the idea that muslims are actually being honest when they promote a genuinely peaceful/tolerant interpretation of Islamic scripture - like you used to before 2007.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #62 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:47pm

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:11pm:
Karnal I think your blathering about Gandalf's right to his own opinions is symptomatic of the corrupted perspective on rights and freedoms one must adopt in order to become an apologist for Islam.

Karnal is not talking literally. Of course you don't literally deny me of my beliefs.

Intellectually though, you "deny" us having a civilized discussion about this topic which could potentially be very interesting. You "deny" me the right of being treated as a normal human being with individuality who can be treated as an equal in sensible civilized discussion - as opposed to treating me as part of a mindless hive mind, who can routinely be dismissed with derogatory terms like "typical muslim"

You could go back to posting the ideas of Tariq Ramadan and other reformers you used to admire, and actually not bring up the issue of reform for the sole purpose of ridiculing it. But you don't because you have no desire to go past the inane and thoroughly debased "discussions" on how to checkmate the muslim and ridicule all his merry apologists.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:53pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:27pm

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:11pm:

I thought you might. Now, our question: why do G's views bother you so much that you choose to stalk him, interrogate him, ignore his answers and put words in his mouth?

If you believe in rights and freedoms, why do you work so hard to deny someone else the freedom to own their beliefs?

That's a question.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:29pm

Quote:
If you believe in rights and freedoms, why do you work so hard to deny someone else the freedom to own their beliefs?

Again, what corrupted view of freedom could you possibly hold to make such an accusation?

Quote:
You constantly lecture me about being dishonest about my beliefs.

Can you give an example?

Quote:
So rather than accepting my assertions about my Islamic beliefs being about love and peace and tolerance, your premise is that Islam can only ever be a rigidly violent and intolerant religion

False dichotomy. If you met a really really nice Nazi who just happened to think Hitler was God's second cousin, would that change anything about Nazism?

Quote:
Your sneering quip in post# 50 is a case in point, and is basically saying "how are you going to lie your way out of the "truth" of chapter 9?" (the "truth" being that it is a universal call for muslims to be violent warmongers).

Can you give an example using what I actually say? Or am I not allowed to speak for myself?

Quote:
You always sneer at the idea of Islamic reform

How can you always tell when I am sneering?

Quote:
I think because the only "reform" you could contenance is one where muslims renounce their prophet and probably most of the text

Might as well renounce the lot Gandalf.

Quote:
which you know they cannot do

Of course they can, and plenty do. Just not in those places where, thanks to Islam, it is too late for them.

Quote:
I think you describe it "being honest" about the tenets of Islam - the clear insinuation being that muslims already accept your violent/intolerant version of Islam, but are too "dishonest" to acknowledge it.

Surely not. Let's give it a go shall we? Gandalf, is chapter 9 of the Koran the word of God?

Quote:
Intellectually though, you "deny" us having a civilized discussion about this topic which could potentially be very interesting.

If it was not interesting I would not be here.

Quote:
You "deny" me the right of being treated as a normal human being

Do you have a problem with people who are not normal?

Quote:
as opposed to treating me as part of a mindless hive mind

Ah, like those hundreds of innocent Jews whose murder you support unquestioningly? How hypocritical of me. There, is that civilised enough for you? I wasn't sneering when I typed it, if that affects your answer.

Quote:
who can routinely be dismissed with derogatory terms like "typical muslim"

You are denying me the right to dismiss you with my own derogatory terms. Apologist.

Quote:
You could go back to posting the ideas of Tariq Ramadan and other reformers you used to admire, and actually not bring up the issue of reform for the sole purpose of ridiculing it.

Would you deny me the right to change my mind?

Quote:
But you don't because you have no desire to go past the inane and thoroughly debased "discussions" on how to checkmate the muslim and ridicule all his merry apologists.

That is a lot of effort to go to to avoid the question. You accuse me of ridiculing your reform efforts, but if your reform requires you to simply pretend chapter 9 does not exist - which is the only conclusion I can draw from your non-answer - what other response do you expect? By self-identifying as a Muslim, you are giving implicit support to everything in the Koran, including chapter 9, and you should take ownership and responsibility for that, and the consequences. When you promote Islam, you promote the view that chapter 9 is God's instruction to Muslims, and you cannot expect me to take you seriously if you deny the implications of that - that Muslims will read it for themselves and find out what it really says, and act in a way that is not hypocritical to their faith. Maybe one day you will read it yourself and make a decision. I'd like to know what you decide.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:49pm

Don't want to say, eh?

Quote:
That is a lot of effort to go to to avoid answering the question.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #66 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 12:12am

Grendel wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 5:45pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 4:21pm:
Grendel wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 2:33pm:
I love the way atheists claim stats without proof, then make more claims out of context... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Soooo  where are all the New Testament teachings of Christ that urge fighting and war in the name of God...  hmmmmm? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The Old Testament was found to be more than twice as violent as the Quran.

The Old Testament is not the New Testament Gweggy....  The Old Testament is the "Jewish Bible" it contains a Jewish Religious History.  Would you like to try again? Grin Grin Grin

And yet, whenever a so called "Christian" uses the bible to sprout hatred and bigotry they always quote from the OT.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #67 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 12:15am

Grendel wrote on Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:27pm:
LOL Karnal is a wanker, Jesus fulfilled the law by dying for all our sins and conquering death.  Oh dear atheists and Muslims should not quote things they are ignorant of.

It's very pagan isn't it. Kinda like the Aztecs, a human sacrifice to save the rest of people.

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #68 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 12:24am

freediver wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 7:34pm:
Gandalf how does chapter 9 fit into your Islamic reform agenda? Is your plan to ignore it and hope it goes away?

There can be no reform, certainly not anytime soon. Not until Muslims realise that much of their archaic teachings have no place in modern civilised society.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #69 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 12:31am

Grendel wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 2:42pm:
Auggie wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 1:55pm:
freediver wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 7:07pm:
Why not simply conclude that it is a load of crap?

Because I don't believe that religion is 'a load of crap'. As I stated in a previous post, religion is about self-betterment and improvement - an evolution from the animal to the human. The verses of the Quran that seek to promote this idea is relevant.

Surely you would agree that greed, lust, power and selfishness are all negative attributes? Wouldn't the world be a better place if we were all 'human' as opposed to 'animals'?

I agree the doctrine of Islam is not so 'obvious' about this goal as say is Jainism or Buddhism, or even Christianity. I think it became corrupted later on to be about power and control. Anyone with half a brain would know that any monotheistic religion is about power and control.

Do you think Muslims will take you more seriously if you pretend to be one?

Muslims probably won't listen to me. It would be interesting to try these arguments with a moderate Muslim (I've never tried). For e.g. I'd start with the headscarf: whilst women are more than entitled to wear anything they wish (if they so choose), I would ask the following question: "why would God command a woman to wear the headscarf? If it's to be closer to God, surely there are more practical ways to be 'closer' God, like abstaining from sex, or from accumulating wealth?"

What are you trying to help me convince Muslims of?

Because I think it's important we all promote a view of religion that is inclusive and representative of a modern society.

Last time I looked God didn't command a woman to wear a headscarf or a Burka.  Modesty was the concern and the choice of clothing cultural.

True, but the bible does.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #70 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 12:36am

Auggie wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 2:46pm:
Quote:
Last time I looked God didn't command a woman to wear a headscarf or a Burka.  Modesty was the concern and the choice of clothing cultural.

Well, the wearing of modest clothing is prescribed in the Quran. But, I agree that God wouldn't make a command that prescribed it more on women, than on men.

"But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head" (1 Cor. 1:3-6).

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #71 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:37pm

Funny FD didn't find these ayat from Chapter 9 important enough to highlight:

Quote:
4. Except those of the Mushrikun with whom you have a treaty, and who have not subsequently failed you in aught, nor have supported anyone against you. So fulfill their treaty to them to the end of their term. Surely Allah loves Al- Mattaqun (the pious - see V.2:2).

Quote:
13. Will you not fight a people who have violated their oaths (pagans of Makkah) and intended to expel the Messenger, while they did attack you first? Do you fear them? Allah has more right that you should fear Him, if you are believers.

Good grief - is the Quran saying its "pious" to make peace with those who have not wronged you, or supported others against you??

Could it possibly be that the Quran is saying that fighting is only permitted against those who violate oaths they have made with you, and who attack you first??

related:

And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah . Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing. 8.61

Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

Allah only forbids you from those who fight you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion - [forbids] that you make allies of them. And whoever makes allies of them, then it is those who are the wrongdoers.
  60.8-9

Permission [to fight] has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory.

[They are] those who have been evicted from their homes without right - only because they say, "Our Lord is Allah ." And were it not that Allah checks the people, some by means of others, there would have been demolished monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques in which the name of Allah is much mentioned. And Allah will surely support those who support Him. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might.

oh look - surely Allah doesn't support worshippers of other non-muslim faiths (christians and jews) in which "the name of Allah (God) is much mentioned"??

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:57pm

Quote:
Good grief - is the Quran saying its "pious" to make peace with those who have not wronged you, or supported others against you??

No. It says don't violate oaths of peace you have, unless they do, in which case the slaughter is back on.

In case there is any confusion, Muhammad demonstrated quite clearly that it is open season on pagans, and only the flimsiest of excuses are needed to nullify any treaties with Jews.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #73 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 1:11pm

freediver wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:57pm:
It says don't violate oaths of peace you have, unless they do

So, slightly different to your spin - no?

If its wholesale slaughter of non-believers, why does it go to the trouble of specifying who are to be fought - and making it look suspiciously like a self-defense/just war doctrine?

Quote:
who have violated their oaths (pagans of Makkah) and intended to expel the Messenger, while they did attack you first?

Why not simply say "kill all non-believers" - without qualifcation?

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #74 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 1:17pm

freediver wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:57pm:
In case there is any confusion, Muhammad demonstrated quite clearly that it is open season on pagans

By signing peace treaties with them in a position of overwhelming strength?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Hudaybiyyah

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Send Topic Print