Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Re: Martial Arts
Reply #90 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 5:22pm

Emma wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 9:47pm:
absolutely right. They ARE cowards who prey on perceived vulnerable  targets.
I walk around with a kubitan,, umm a six inch steel rod, attached to my keys... sometimes I show it, sometimes I don't. I can have it so it is up my sleeve, with just the other attachments showing.  Has caused comment from some cashiers etc... I just say it helps me find my keys in my (copious) bag. I usually get a laugh, or at least, not disapproval.
Smiley Wink

You better be careful Emma, being a martial arts implement if you use it to defend yourself you may end up in hot water from the law.

It would be no different to carrying a rattan, tonfa or nunchaku.

I've said it before and I'll say it again best not to carry a weapon, it's too easy to reach for it when the going gets tough and you've been hit by the adrenalin rush that's where you're brain doesn't think clearly enough.

Also if you hurt the other person where a screaming and yelling might have been sufficient to get rid of him, he may want some pay back with a weapon of his own.

Usually a male assailant will not use punches and kicks against a female victim, if you hurt him he may have a weapon of his own, or he may take your weapon.

You might want to re think your strategy of carrying a kubitan, maybe a couple of oranges or apples in a thick sock.

You can generate lots of centrifugal force with such an implement plus it gives you reach and it wont be fatal, well it shouldn't be....... Smiley

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #91 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 5:43pm

What about a women's weekly magazine...!

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 6:34pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 8:45am:
Quote:
Valkies so tough that Death once had a near Valki experience.

That's me.

Tough as a marshmallow siting in a warm bath.
Tough as a baby bunny.
Tough as a jelly baby.

So tough in fact that even my grand kids can wrestle me to the floor and beat me up.

Yep I'm TOUGH.

You know, my favorite part of teaching a class of kids was the end of class brawl.
I would attempt to walk from one end of the hall to the other, with only the class of kids in a line to stop me.
They would grab me, tackle me and drag me to the ground.
The parents thought it was a great joke, 12 kids jumping all over a black belt instructor.

You know, in all the classes I taught, I never once made it to end of the hall.........Funny That eh?

But that's right, I'm too TOUGH to be like that aren't I Rhino?

You know how many fights I have had out of the ring?
None

You know how many times I have actually had to defend myself physically?
twice

You know how many times I have been approached by someone wanting to fight?
Many times.

I would rather walk away.................if that's tough, then that's me.

so this never happened?
Valkie wrote on Aug 23rd, 2016 at 7:08pm:
I
Its interesting when someone goes to shove you and you turn to the side and give them a little tug on the offending arm, resulting in them staggering up into your arms or past you.
Doing this and smiling at them has diffused several confrontations as they immediately realize that they are in over their heads, Give them an outer, by saying my favorite statement "You win" is usually enough.

If it don't, a "Gentle" palm heal strike while pushing lightly on their chest, sending them staggering backward also give them an idea of what the possible outcome might be. Again "I'm sorry, you win" is a great diffuser.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #93 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 7:16pm

rhino wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
Quote:

That's me.

Tough as a baby bunny.
Tough as a jelly baby.

So tough in fact that even my grand kids can wrestle me to the floor and beat me up.

Yep I'm TOUGH.

You know, my favorite part of teaching a class of kids was the end of class brawl.
I would attempt to walk from one end of the hall to the other, with only the class of kids in a line to stop me.
The parents thought it was a great joke, 12 kids jumping all over a black belt instructor.

You know, in all the classes I taught, I never once made it to end of the hall.........Funny That eh?

None

twice

Many times.

so this never happened?
I
Its interesting when someone goes to shove you and you turn to the side and give them a little tug on the offending arm, resulting in them staggering up into your arms or past you.
Doing this and smiling at them has diffused several confrontations as they immediately realize that they are in over their heads, Give them an outer, by saying my favorite statement "You win" is usually enough.

If it don't, a "Gentle" palm heal strike while pushing lightly on their chest, sending them staggering backward also give them an idea of what the possible outcome might be. Again "I'm sorry, you win" is a great diffuser.

Yes it did happen, but could it possibly be construed as a fight, of course not.
I counted it as defending myself with no injury to either party.
The palm heel strike was simply a warning after which I apologized, only the recipient would have realized the power behind the strike, so no foul, he could walk away pride intact.
Especially when I apologized unreservedly.

I have never hurt anyone deliberately.
Although I will admit to the occasional injury during competition, s#@t happens.
Its always accidental, just demonstrates my lack of skill.
I have no wish to harm anyone and I especially do not wish to be harmed.

But that's all.
Most , nearly every threat has been diffused by simply backing down before the fight starts.
I have nothing to prove.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #94 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 7:43pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 7:16pm:
rhino wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
Quote:

That's me.

Tough as a baby bunny.
Tough as a jelly baby.

Yep I'm TOUGH.

None

twice

Many times.

so this never happened?
I

Yes it did happen, but could it possibly be construed as a fight, of course not.
I counted it as defending myself with no injury to either party.
The palm heel strike was simply a warning after which I apologized, only the recipient would have realized the power behind the strike, so no foul, he could walk away pride intact.
Especially when I apologized unreservedly.

I have never hurt anyone deliberately.
Although I will admit to the occasional injury during competition, s#@t happens.
Its always accidental, just demonstrates my lack of skill.
I have no wish to harm anyone and I especially do not wish to be harmed.

But that's all.
Most , nearly every threat has been diffused by simply backing down before the fight starts.
I have nothing to prove.

Like the magazine idea. Thanks.
I DO realise the kubitan is a risk to carry, and I once accidentally (doh) Roll Eyes took it thru a metal detector into a Court House.
The fella on duty took it, but gave it back to me when I exited. He explained that if a Police officer saw me with it, I could be in trouble. I played dumb,, AND don't display it now, as a rule. Still have it on my key ring tho.

That magazine play is a beauty, tho.  Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #95 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:22pm

Emma wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 7:43pm:
I DO realise the kubitan is a risk to carry, and I once accidentally (doh) Roll Eyes took it thru a metal detector into a Court House.
The fella on duty took it, but gave it back to me when I exited. He explained that if a Police officer saw me with it, I could be in trouble. I played dumb,, AND don't display it now, as a rule. Still have it on my key ring tho.

I see you like Ray Floro's defence with the magazine.

I've done a seminar with him  and I can tell you first hand his knowledge in martial arts in general is WOW out of this world.

His stuff against the knife is the best I've seen.

Same principle again with a bat or a stick.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:44pm by Ajax »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #96 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:39pm

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #97 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 10:00pm

Ajax wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:22pm:

I've done a seminar with him  and I can tell you first hand his knowledge in martial arts in general is WOW out of this world.

Thank you again. Excellent vids... my sensei always said facing a knife was the most dangerous.. (forgetting guns of course, for now)
those moves look very effective to me. Hmm thinking of buying a WWeekly.  Not my usual thing BUT...   Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 11:17pm

Ajax wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:22pm:

Im unimpressed. Quite unrealistic. Sparring as a sport is fine, teaching people unrealistic knife or weapon defence stuff can end very badly.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #99 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 11:39pm

That wasn't sparring Big ears, it was a demonstration of techniques which may be available given the need.

I went to several such 'workshops' and we all understood it was a demonstration of possible responses to attacks, and demonstrations of pressure points and such. 

I thought the ideas were pretty good.. of course that would be followed up by lots of training in those specifics...  so stick it where the sun doesn't shine. No-one is suggesting anything other than ideas and actions to defend themselves.

live every day

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 12:57am

Sorry I offended your ego.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #101 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 1:06am

Smiley Smiley Smiley
you couldn't do that, no matter how hard you wanted to.

live every day

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 1:32am

Already have

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #103 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 7:35am

Bobby. wrote on Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:39pm:

I used to love that show.

That and the Phantom Agents...............We only use a gun as the last resort.....

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #104 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 8:03am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print