Cat warpath (Read 2405 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Cat warpath
Jul 17th, 2016 at 4:43pm

I'm sick of roaming cats here.
Most nights I go out I see a cat.
We have no birds here now, we used to always have birds.

Have borrowed a trap from the city council.
Caught one on the first weekend, a wet weekend.
Now the after hours dropoff is full so it is downstairs overnight.

will prob meow and poo.

where is the river to put it in.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Re: Cat warpath
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:05pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 4:43pm:

That is all kinds of wrong!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:25pm

I've even got a cat in my neighborhood that chases the neighbours cats into their own homes. When owners try to get it out it doesn't even bat an eye. Couldn't care in the slightest that someone is shooing it.  It followed one particular neighbours cat into her bedroom, then proceeded to tear her cat apart on her nice white bedspread.

$1500 of surgery to her cat and one bedspread later, she's covered her rear patio so as to make sure she doesn't have a repeat. My suggestion to her was to next time use a shovel and then bury it.

Not sure why people agree dogs should be fenced off, but cats should be allowed to roam. They shouldn't. Lock the friggen things up or don't get a cat.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:35pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:25pm:
I've even got a cat in my neighborhood that chases the neighbours cats into their own homes. When owners try to get it out it doesn't even bat an eye. Couldn't care in the slightest that someone is shooing it.  It followed one particular neighbours cat into her bedroom, then proceeded to tear her cat apart on her nice white bedspread.

$1500 of surgery to her cat and one bedspread later, she's covered her rear patio so as to make sure she doesn't have a repeat. My suggestion to her was to next time use a shovel and then bury it.

Not sure why people agree dogs should be fenced off, but cats should be allowed to roam. They shouldn't. Lock the friggen things up or don't get a cat.

Well there is the odd problem cat- AND dog.  Cats have been in Australia now so long they should not be considered as a an alien species anymore- they are now part of our ecology.  I love cats and yes they ( like dogs ) do present  problems  from time to time- I also love our wildlife, but even with cats thown into the mix it is NOT cats threatening species and driving them to extinction- It's man.  My cat does not roam. I have a lot of feral cats here the only problem they presented to me by them, was nocturnal noise.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:37pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:35pm:

Well there is the odd problem cat- AND dog.  Cats have been in Australia now so long they should not be considered as a an alien species anymore- they are now part of our ecology.  I love cats and yes they ( like dogs ) do present  problems  from time to time- I also love our wildlife, but even with cats thown into the mix it is NOT cats threatening species and driving them to extinction- It's man.  My cat does not roam. I have a lot of feral cats here the only problem they presented to me by them, was nocturnal noise.

I think native animals disagree with you.

IBI

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:39pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:37pm:

I think native animals disagree with you.

I don't care- man destroys the  habitats of wildlife and cause population decline of various species ie: Koalas for just  one.- fact

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:56pm

Well there is the odd problem cat- AND dog.

so killing the odd cat shouldn't present a problem then.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:58pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:56pm:

Unfortunately there is the odd cruel asshole that does that already, I would never condone that John- no.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:59pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:05pm:

I won't do that.

For stupid ethical reasons

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:02pm

............. it is NOT cats threatening species and driving them to extinction.................

All the experts say it is.

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:03pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:05pm:

Gotta disagree with you on this one Orchid - I live in a native bush land area, and I've seen first hand the type of damage cats (and foxes) can do.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:07pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:02pm:
............. it is NOT cats threatening species and driving them to extinction.................

Depends on the area... for the most part man is a far greater threat to wild life- not all experts are all that expert.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:07pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:58pm:

Unfortunately there is the odd cruel asshole that does that already, I would never condone that John- no.

cruel? Mother natures a bitch isn't she!

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:14pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:07pm:

Depends on the area... for the most part man is a far greater threat to wild life- not all experts are all that expert.

See, I have a problem with that argument. Are you suggesting that we limit what 'man' does? how do you propose to do that exactly? Does that mean we don't take any measures to protect our native flora and fauna because 'man is a greater threat anyway'?

Cats are easy to control if owners act responsibly. Restrict your cats movements, put a bell and collar on it and de-sex it. We do it for dogs, why not cats? All pretty easy things to do if you were so minded. Your excuses sound like just that,  excuses, for irresponsible owners. ALL the experts have said cats are a problem to our wildlife.

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 5:59pm:
For stupid ethical reasons

I just can't bring myself to do it either ... although sometimes I wish I could

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:17pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:07pm:

I agree with you there

humans are the #1 threat.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:18pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:17pm:
I agree with you there

that doesn't mean we should let cats run rampant

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:27pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:18pm:
I agree with you there

Fertility control-

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:09pm

Quote:
Quote:
Well there is the odd problem cat- AND dog.  Cats have been in Australia now so long they should not be considered as a an alien species anymore- they are now part of our ecology.  I love cats and yes they ( like dogs ) do present  problems  from time to time- I also love our wildlife, but even with cats thown into the mix it is NOT cats threatening species and driving them to extinction- It's man.

Actually. cats do a lot of damage.

http://www.biodiv.be/biodiversity/threats

Lists invasive species as a major threat.

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/species/problems/invasive_species/

IUCN, the World Conservation Union, states that the impacts of alien invasive species are immense, insidious, and usually irreversible. They may be as damaging to native species and ecosystems on a global scale as the loss and degradation of habitats.
Hundreds of extinctions have been caused by invasive alien species. The ecological cost is the irretrievable loss of native species and ecosystems.

https://www.cbd.int/invasive/WhatareIAS.shtml

Invasive alien species (IAS) are species whose introduction and/or spread outside their natural past or present distribution threatens biological diversity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiversity#Threats

Jared Diamond describes an "Evil Quartet" of habitat destruction, overkill, introduced species and secondary extinctions.[144] Edward O. Wilson prefers the acronym HIPPO, standing for Habitat destruction, Invasive species, Pollution, human over-Population and Over-harvesting.

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/feral-animals-australia/feral-cats

Feral cats threaten the survival of over 100 native species in Australia. They have caused the extinction of some ground-dwelling birds and small to medium-sized mammals. They are a major cause of decline for many land-based endangered animals such as the bilby, bandicoot, bettong and numbat. Many native animals are struggling to survive so reducing the number killed by this introduced predator will allow their populations to grow.

Feral cats can carry infectious diseases which can be transmitted to native animals, domestic livestock and humans.

Predation by feral cats is listed as a key threatening process under section 188 of Australia’s national environment law, the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).

At the Meeting of Environment Ministers (Melbourne, 15 July 2015), Ministers endorsed the National declaration of feral cats as pests . As part of this declaration, Ministers agreed to review arrangements within their respective jurisdictions and, where necessary, to remove unnecessary barriers to effective and humane control of feral cats. Ministers also agreed to consider feral cat management as a priority in threatened species recovery programs, and to pursue the development of a national best practice approach to the keeping of domestic cats.

The Curiosity® bait for feral cats is a long-term $4.1 million project to develop a humane, broad-scale toxic bait to control feral cats in conservation areas.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:15pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:27pm:
I agree with you there

Fertility control-

If I saw a stray cat stalking any of the lorries that visit my back veranda, I'd kill it without hesitation.

I like cats when they're locked inside a house or a shed cat to kill the rodents, but outside, they're a target.

IBI

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:19pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
I agree with you there

Fertility control-

If I saw a stray cat stalking any of the lorries that visit my back veranda, I'd kill it without hesitation.

I like cats when they're locked inside a house or a shed cat to kill the rodents, but outside, they're a target.

I have planted a yard of grevilleas.
We used to always have birds here.

Now, there are none

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 9:10pm

I agree with you there

Fertility control-

you can name your shovel whatever you like.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 9:12pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:15pm:

if you want them outside, you need to build a a run for them. Not just let them run rampant.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:29pm

Cats are used to keep down rat populations in towns and cities.  Remove or pen cats and government would have to pay rat catchers

Currently, we have two remaining rescue cats, dumped by people when they moved elsewhere.  We've had five so far.

People are disgusting, irresponsible and cruel.  I'd like to cull the human population -- cull it severely.  Seriously

We've netted our place, front and back.  Naturally, we'd prefer it otherwise.  But we've assured our cats don't bother anyone, don't stray, don't defecate in other people's property, don't kill birds, etc.  But that doesn't stop other people's cats from trying to claw their way into our cat's enclosures

Three months ago, people rented a place not far from us.  Nasty mob of them.  Not only was one of our cats poisoned, also most of our garden.  Now the poisoned cat (which the vet managed to save) is on a restricted diet for life due to organ damage from the poison.  And we can't leave him in his fully netted yard in case the poisoner has another go

We weren't 'cat people' before, but since our foray into cat rescue we've learned that cats are as affectionate, lovable, interesting and loyal as dogs for example.  If they're treated well, they respond in kind

The only real solution is for it to become a finable offence to allow one's cat/s to roam.  One solution is to net the yard, but for those who rent or don't have a yard, a portable or knock-down cat-house should be something people consider before getting a cat.  I've been playing with designs for something suitable for people who only have balconies.  Hopefully, someone else will see an opportunity and start producing them affordably

The problem lies in the fact cats keep different hours to humans. For convenience, most people put their cat outside for the night.  But with patience (and cooperation on the cat's part) cats do learn to adjust in the main to human timetables

Government/councils will have to take the situation seriously before much longer, considering the numbers of people who live now in high rise apartments, etc.  In the meantime, humans remain exasperated because of people's cats and cats continue to rip each other and wildlife to shreds

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:05pm

Quote:
Cats are used to keep down rat populations in towns and cities.  Remove or pen cats and government would have to pay rat catchers

Crap.

The most effective treatment against rats is to remove their food supply.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:13pm

PZ547 wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:29pm:
We've netted our place, front and back.

well done ..... if only every cat owner did the same.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:13pm

Currently, we have two remaining rescue cats, dumped by people when they moved elsewhere.  We've had five so far.

People are disgusting, irresponsible and cruel.  I'd like to cull the human population -- cull it severely.  Seriously

Me too

Quote:
We've netted our place, front and back.  Naturally, we'd prefer it otherwise.  But we've assured our cats don't bother anyone, don't stray, don't defecate in other people's property, don't kill birds, etc.  But that doesn't stop other people's cats from trying to claw their way into our cat's enclosures

Well done

Quote:
Three months ago, people rented a place not far from us.  Nasty mob of them.  Not only was one of our cats poisoned, also most of our garden.  Now the poisoned cat (which the vet managed to save) is on a restricted diet for life due to organ damage from the poison.  And we can't leave him in his fully netted yard in case the poisoner has another go

We weren't 'cat people' before, but since our foray into cat rescue we've learned that cats are as affectionate, lovable, interesting and loyal as dogs for example.  If they're treated well, they respond in kind

We are foster carers for cats

Quote:
The only real solution is for it to become a finable offence to allow one's cat/s to roam.  One solution is to net the yard, but for those who rent or don't have a yard, a portable or knock-down cat-house should be something people consider before getting a cat.  I've been playing with designs for something suitable for people who only have balconies.  Hopefully, someone else will see an opportunity and start producing them affordably

Good idea

Quote:
The problem lies in the fact cats keep different hours to humans. For convenience, most people put their cat outside for the night.  But with patience (and cooperation on the cat's part) cats do learn to adjust in the main to human timetables

Government/councils will have to take the situation seriously before much longer, considering the numbers of people who live now in high rise apartments, etc.  In the meantime, humans remain exasperated because of people's cats and cats continue to rip each other and wildlife to shreds

thanks

I am catching 1 cat per day

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:14pm

Used to love go out shooting feral cats, you wouldnt believe how many there are in the bush. Foxes, cats and rabbits need to be exterminated completely from this land mass. Having them as pets is absolutely insane.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:19pm

One solution is to net the yard, but for those who rent or don't have a yard, a portable or knock-down cat-house should be something people consider before getting a cat

you could build a cat run

or for a more practical run

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:28pm

Quote:
QUEENSLAND is finally turning the tide in the war on the feral pests plaguing the state — gunning down everything from cats of “truly monstrous proportions” to goats and turtle-eating pigs.

The state will soon start a fresh battle against feral pigs in a bid to stop them killing off baby turtles ahead of this year’s nesting season, as it also continues to target bilby-devouring cats.

As part of a “sustained attack” on pests, a $7 million joint venture will see the pigs hunted down and destroyed to give the turtle hatchlings — who typically struggle to survive even without the threat of predators — a “fighting chance”.

Work is under way to seek expressions of interests from organisations wanting to help with pest-control measures, but the actual hunt won’t begin until at least October.

Meanwhile, National Parks Minister Steve Dickson said a plague of feral cats had been contained following a two-year program and an investment of more than $350,000 with the result that Queensland’s dwindling bilby population can recover.

“When the program began, hundreds of cats — some of truly monstrous proportions — were being removed on every visit,” he said.

A small victory has been recorded at Astrelba Downs in the state’s west, where more than 3000 feral cats have been eliminated. Cat and wild dog populations in the region soared after two years of un­usually high rainfall from 2009 spurred on by a boom in the native long-haired rat population.

A massive drop in rat numbers led to the ferocious cat hordes turning their attention to one of the last remaining populations of the endangered greater bilby.

In the past 18 months, about 120 bilbies have been found in the stomachs of shot cats — out of a total estimated population of just 700.

The cull has proved to be a large success with a recent eight-day effort netting 14 feral cats.

“The challenges of managing feral animals across Queensland are huge,” Mr Dickson said.

“Our national parks are home to many species on the brink of extinction and their survival relies on us.”

This year’s phase of the Sundown National Park feral animal program, undertaken in June about 40km southwest of Stanthorpe, took out 177 fallow deer, 29 feral goats and three pigs — with previous hunts nabbing foxes, as well.

About 15 hours of flight time went into the operation, with a kill rate of 14 animals per hour.

Senior ranger Andrew Kingston, who is helping lead efforts to control feral pigs near Mt Glorious, said feral pigs destroy native wildlife and plant life, spread weeds, carry diseases, destroy waterways and cause a raft of problems for native ecosystems.

His team uses traps to contain the animals before shooting them.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-turns-tide-on-feral-ani...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:33pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:28pm:
with a kill rate of 14 animals per hour.

there must be a hell of a lot of stray cats to be hitting those sorts of figures

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:17pm

I like cats, but I also acknowledge the damage they do. They have now inhabited almost every niche on the continent.

I'd love another Burmese - but it would have to be spayed.

...\\

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:18pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
I like cats, but I also acknowledge the damage they do. They have now inhabited almost every niche on the continent.

I'd love another Burmese - but it would have to be spayed.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/lioneledriess/Pussy%20Willow_zpsqh3i2fir...\\

The Aborigines eat cats, they say they are tasty.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Dustwun
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Igloo
Reply #32 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:31pm

Lol my Chinese Thai rellies eat cat.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #33 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 3:30am

will prob meow and poo.

Why bother worrying about it?  Does the cat harm you in some way?  I know they shouldn't wander, but heartless murder?

Let it go, for Christ's sake...

(did someone mention a cat-house?  the mind boggles... but it is 3.33 am)...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 6:58am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2016 at 3:30am:

will prob meow and poo.

Why bother worrying about it?  Does the cat harm you in some way?  I know they shouldn't wander, but heartless murder?

Let it go, for Christ's sake...

(did someone mention a cat-house?  the mind boggles... but it is 3.33 am)...

I am glad its all they have to worry about...

I would think having feral neighbours.... would be a  lot worse.. Grin Grin

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #35 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 12:24pm

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 7:47pm

Quote:
KENT Wilson is considered, by his friends, to be a passionate nature-lover and model citizen – but to his neighbour, he will always be the man who shot and buried her beloved cat.

Mia Shepherdson was just 19 when, in February last year, she confronted Wilson, 63, about the disappearance of her family’s black oriental, Spock.

“I was very upset, we had been calling for Spock for days trying to find him, and I asked Kent if he had seen him,” she told The Advertiser.

“He admitted he had shot and buried him on our ‘behalf’ ... I left crying, he said ‘thanks for coming’ and suggested I should buy another cat.”
Kent Wilson outside court.

..............Spock was a feral predator.........

On Thursday, Miss Shepherdson and her family watched as the Adelaide Magistrates Court fined Wilson $2000 but spared him a conviction for animal cruelty.

Magistrate Paul Foley said Wilson, a lifelong conservationist, was not the typical offender.

“The typical example involves a person who either grossly neglects an animal or whose motive is to simply cause pain and suffering,” he said.

“I accept you genuinely believed Spock was a threat to native wildlife on your property, particularly bird life.”

Wilson — a Justice of the Peace and former scout leader — faced a maximum $50,000 fine or four years’ jail after being found guilty of ill-treating an animal to cause death.

He shot and killed Spock, 2, on the five-acre Ashton block he and his family have spent 40 years maintaining as a refuge for native flora and fauna.

Spock was microchipped, but not wearing a collar, and the Shepherdsons lived just 100m from Wilson’s home — but he did not ask if the cat was theirs before firing.

Last month he appealed the guilty verdict in the Supreme Court, claiming his actions were not an offence under animal welfare laws, but his challenge was rejected.

In her victim impact statement on Thursday, Miss Shepherdson said collecting Spock’s exhumed body from Wilson was “probably the most awful experience of my life”.

“Spock was a friendly and mostly indoor cat who was loved greatly by our family ... (his death) was a hugely distressing time for everyone in my family.

“I am now fearful of Wilson and am terrified of going near his property.”

The RSPCA urged Mr Foley to record a conviction in order to deter others but his counsel said that was unnecessary, given the “unique” nature of the case.

They said Wilson was “a model citizen” and “pillar of the community” who, in a moment of “perverse irony”, faced animal cruelty charges for seeking to protect native wildlife.

Mr Foley agreed a conviction was not required, noting Wilson had already paid compensation to the Shepherdsons.

Outside court, Miss Shepherdson said she was concerned that, without a conviction, Wilson would be permitted to keep his firearms licence.

“We don’t need guns at all, especially where I’m living,” she said.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 7:52pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/naturelover-kent-wilson-who-shot-a...

Quote:
..............The RSPCA urged Mr Foley to record a conviction in order to deter others but his counsel said that was unnecessary, given the “unique” nature of the case..........

the rspca can suck poo for that.

NO refuge cats will be in here for this year.

idiotic leftards

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 7:58pm

Quote:
..................the five-acre Ashton block he and his family have spent 40 years maintaining as a refuge for native flora and fauna............

rspca - you want to prosecute this man ??

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:03pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 22nd, 2016 at 7:52pm:
idiotic leftards

idiotic rightard ...... only a rightard would think only leftards love cats.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:19pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:03pm:
idiotic leftards

Sorry

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:21pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:19pm:
John Smith wrote on Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:03pm:
idiotic leftards

Sorry

so you should be. Wink

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 9:17pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/pets/index.ssf/2011/03/pet_talk_cats_and_birds_would.h...

if you are  cat around here and you have read this thread, you have been warned.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 7:54am

The RSPCA kills more cats than just about anyone else. And they make it a long, drawn out and fearful process, locking a wild animal in a tiny metal cage.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 1:37am

freediver wrote on Jul 23rd, 2016 at 7:54am:
The RSPCA kills more cats than just about anyone else. And they make it a long, drawn out and fearful process, locking a wild animal in a tiny metal cage.

As an animal lover, i am appalled at the RSPCA.

That said, most of the cats they destroy are ones they can catch, mostly abandoned pets and kittens. Ferals are hard to catch.

The best way to deal with feral is to trap, disex and release. An established cat in a territory will occupy more space than an up and coming litter that would ordinarily perish if room weren't made.

Make room for more cats? Cull the adults.

Disex and release.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 4:19pm

mothra and freediver,

I am going cold on the RSPCA for other reasons.

For some time I have seen that they have been ineffective at controlling dogs and cats.
the problem has got worse.

then I saw this
Quote:
KENT Wilson is considered, by his friends, to be a passionate nature-lover and model citizen – but to his neighbour, he will always be the man who shot and buried her beloved cat.

Mia Shepherdson was just 19 when, in February last year, she confronted Wilson, 63, about the disappearance of her family’s black oriental, Spock.

“I was very upset, we had been calling for Spock for days trying to find him, and I asked Kent if he had seen him,” she told The Advertiser.

“He admitted he had shot and buried him on our ‘behalf’ ... I left crying, he said ‘thanks for coming’ and suggested I should buy another cat.”

On Thursday, Miss Shepherdson and her family watched as the Adelaide Magistrates Court fined Wilson $2000 but spared him a conviction for animal cruelty.

Magistrate Paul Foley said Wilson, a lifelong conservationist, was not the typical offender.

“The typical example involves a person who either grossly neglects an animal or whose motive is to simply cause pain and suffering,” he said.

“I accept you genuinely believed Spock was a threat to native wildlife on your property, particularly bird life.”

Wilson — a Justice of the Peace and former scout leader — faced a maximum $50,000 fine or four years’ jail after being found guilty of ill-treating an animal to cause death.

He shot and killed Spock, 2, on the five-acre Ashton block he and his family have spent 40 years maintaining as a refuge for native flora and fauna.

Spock was microchipped, but not wearing a collar, and the Shepherdsons lived just 100m from Wilson’s home — but he did not ask if the cat was theirs before firing.

Last month he appealed the guilty verdict in the Supreme Court, claiming his actions were not an offence under animal welfare laws, but his challenge was rejected.

In her victim impact statement on Thursday, Miss Shepherdson said collecting Spock’s exhumed body from Wilson was “probably the most awful experience of my life”.

“Spock was a friendly and mostly indoor cat who was loved greatly by our family ... (his death) was a hugely distressing time for everyone in my family.

The RSPCA urged Mr Foley to record a conviction in order to deter others but his counsel said that was unnecessary, given the “unique” nature of the case.

They said Wilson was “a model citizen” and “pillar of the community” who, in a moment of “perverse irony”, faced animal cruelty charges for seeking to protect native wildlife.

Mr Foley agreed a conviction was not required, noting Wilson had already paid compensation to the Shepherdsons.

Outside court, Miss Shepherdson said she was concerned that, without a conviction, Wilson would be permitted to keep his firearms licence.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/naturelover-kent-wilson-who-shot-a...

As the RSPCA spend money trying to prosecute a 'life time conservationist', they don't get my donations any more at all.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 4:20pm

yes, they run a very inefficient system

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 9:22pm

mothra wrote on Jul 24th, 2016 at 1:37am:

That said, most of the cats they destroy are ones they can catch, mostly abandoned pets and kittens. Ferals are hard to catch.

The best way to deal with feral is to trap, disex and release. An established cat in a territory will occupy more space than an up and coming litter that would ordinarily perish if room weren't made.

Disex and release.

You really think releasing feral cats into the wild is a good idea for the environment? And don't get me started on the absurd waste of money you are suggesting.

The best way to deal with feral cats is to kill them. I've supplied several to the local pound.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 9:48pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2016 at 9:22pm:
mothra wrote on Jul 24th, 2016 at 1:37am:

Disex and release.

You really think releasing feral cats into the wild is a good idea for the environment? And don't get me started on the absurd waste of money you are suggesting.

The best way to deal with feral cats is to kill them. I've supplied several to the local pound.

yes, kill them.

Use a cat cage.

1/ Wash the cage well first to remove all scents.
Maybe spray to with 'feliway'
bait it with strips of beef from woolies or the like.
once the cat is in there, kill it.
Do not let it out.

2/ repeat step 1

IP Logged

Hoss
Gold Member

Australian Politics

talbot victoria
Reply #49 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:45am

HI ALL

If you want to learn to stalk? watch your domestic moggie.

Oh n never try to handle a feral cat? not that is unless you have an ambulance close.

Old n get radicalized by government

IP Logged

Kat
Gold Member

Socialism IS the answer.

Everywhere and no-where
Reply #50 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 1:59pm

It sure will, if it happens to be mine.

IP Logged

Kat
Gold Member

Socialism IS the answer.

Everywhere and no-where
Reply #51 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 2:02pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 24th, 2016 at 4:19pm:
mothra and freediver,

I am going cold on the RSPCA for other reasons.

For some time I have seen that they have been ineffective at controlling dogs and cats.
the problem has got worse.

then I saw this
Quote:

As the RSPCA spend money trying to prosecute a 'life time conservationist', they don't get my donations any more at all.

That scumbag needs a good flogging. Asshole.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 3:46pm

Hoss wrote on Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:45am:
HI ALL

If you want to learn to stalk? watch your domestic moggie.

Oh n never try to handle a feral cat? not that is unless you have an ambulance close.

yep, think I'll give that caper a wide berth ..........

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 3:55pm

Kat wrote on Jul 26th, 2016 at 1:59pm:

keep him it restricted to your property and it'll never be an issue

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 4:22pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 26th, 2016 at 3:55pm:
Kat wrote on Jul 26th, 2016 at 1:59pm:

keep him it restricted to your property and it'll never be an issue

yes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print