Australian Politics

Re: Cat warpath
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:18pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:17pm:
I agree with you there

humans are the #1 threat.

that doesn't mean we should let cats run rampant

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:27pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:18pm:
I agree with you there

Fertility control-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:09pm

Quote:
Quote:
Well there is the odd problem cat- AND dog.  Cats have been in Australia now so long they should not be considered as a an alien species anymore- they are now part of our ecology.  I love cats and yes they ( like dogs ) do present  problems  from time to time- I also love our wildlife, but even with cats thown into the mix it is NOT cats threatening species and driving them to extinction- It's man.

Actually. cats do a lot of damage.

http://www.biodiv.be/biodiversity/threats

Lists invasive species as a major threat.

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/species/problems/invasive_species/

IUCN, the World Conservation Union, states that the impacts of alien invasive species are immense, insidious, and usually irreversible. They may be as damaging to native species and ecosystems on a global scale as the loss and degradation of habitats.
Hundreds of extinctions have been caused by invasive alien species. The ecological cost is the irretrievable loss of native species and ecosystems.

https://www.cbd.int/invasive/WhatareIAS.shtml

Invasive alien species (IAS) are species whose introduction and/or spread outside their natural past or present distribution threatens biological diversity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiversity#Threats

Jared Diamond describes an "Evil Quartet" of habitat destruction, overkill, introduced species and secondary extinctions.[144] Edward O. Wilson prefers the acronym HIPPO, standing for Habitat destruction, Invasive species, Pollution, human over-Population and Over-harvesting.

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/feral-animals-australia/feral-cats

Feral cats threaten the survival of over 100 native species in Australia. They have caused the extinction of some ground-dwelling birds and small to medium-sized mammals. They are a major cause of decline for many land-based endangered animals such as the bilby, bandicoot, bettong and numbat. Many native animals are struggling to survive so reducing the number killed by this introduced predator will allow their populations to grow.

Feral cats can carry infectious diseases which can be transmitted to native animals, domestic livestock and humans.

Predation by feral cats is listed as a key threatening process under section 188 of Australia’s national environment law, the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).

At the Meeting of Environment Ministers (Melbourne, 15 July 2015), Ministers endorsed the National declaration of feral cats as pests . As part of this declaration, Ministers agreed to review arrangements within their respective jurisdictions and, where necessary, to remove unnecessary barriers to effective and humane control of feral cats. Ministers also agreed to consider feral cat management as a priority in threatened species recovery programs, and to pursue the development of a national best practice approach to the keeping of domestic cats.

The Curiosity® bait for feral cats is a long-term $4.1 million project to develop a humane, broad-scale toxic bait to control feral cats in conservation areas.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:15pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 6:27pm:
I agree with you there

Fertility control-

If I saw a stray cat stalking any of the lorries that visit my back veranda, I'd kill it without hesitation.

I like cats when they're locked inside a house or a shed cat to kill the rodents, but outside, they're a target.

IBI

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:19pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
I agree with you there

Fertility control-

If I saw a stray cat stalking any of the lorries that visit my back veranda, I'd kill it without hesitation.

I like cats when they're locked inside a house or a shed cat to kill the rodents, but outside, they're a target.

I have planted a yard of grevilleas.
We used to always have birds here.

Now, there are none

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 9:10pm

I agree with you there

Fertility control-

you can name your shovel whatever you like.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 9:12pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:15pm:

if you want them outside, you need to build a a run for them. Not just let them run rampant.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:29pm

Cats are used to keep down rat populations in towns and cities.  Remove or pen cats and government would have to pay rat catchers

Currently, we have two remaining rescue cats, dumped by people when they moved elsewhere.  We've had five so far.

People are disgusting, irresponsible and cruel.  I'd like to cull the human population -- cull it severely.  Seriously

We've netted our place, front and back.  Naturally, we'd prefer it otherwise.  But we've assured our cats don't bother anyone, don't stray, don't defecate in other people's property, don't kill birds, etc.  But that doesn't stop other people's cats from trying to claw their way into our cat's enclosures

Three months ago, people rented a place not far from us.  Nasty mob of them.  Not only was one of our cats poisoned, also most of our garden.  Now the poisoned cat (which the vet managed to save) is on a restricted diet for life due to organ damage from the poison.  And we can't leave him in his fully netted yard in case the poisoner has another go

We weren't 'cat people' before, but since our foray into cat rescue we've learned that cats are as affectionate, lovable, interesting and loyal as dogs for example.  If they're treated well, they respond in kind

The only real solution is for it to become a finable offence to allow one's cat/s to roam.  One solution is to net the yard, but for those who rent or don't have a yard, a portable or knock-down cat-house should be something people consider before getting a cat.  I've been playing with designs for something suitable for people who only have balconies.  Hopefully, someone else will see an opportunity and start producing them affordably

The problem lies in the fact cats keep different hours to humans. For convenience, most people put their cat outside for the night.  But with patience (and cooperation on the cat's part) cats do learn to adjust in the main to human timetables

Government/councils will have to take the situation seriously before much longer, considering the numbers of people who live now in high rise apartments, etc.  In the meantime, humans remain exasperated because of people's cats and cats continue to rip each other and wildlife to shreds

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:05pm

Quote:
Cats are used to keep down rat populations in towns and cities.  Remove or pen cats and government would have to pay rat catchers

Crap.

The most effective treatment against rats is to remove their food supply.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:13pm

PZ547 wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:29pm:
We've netted our place, front and back.

well done ..... if only every cat owner did the same.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:13pm

Currently, we have two remaining rescue cats, dumped by people when they moved elsewhere.  We've had five so far.

People are disgusting, irresponsible and cruel.  I'd like to cull the human population -- cull it severely.  Seriously

Me too

Quote:
We've netted our place, front and back.  Naturally, we'd prefer it otherwise.  But we've assured our cats don't bother anyone, don't stray, don't defecate in other people's property, don't kill birds, etc.  But that doesn't stop other people's cats from trying to claw their way into our cat's enclosures

Well done

Quote:
Three months ago, people rented a place not far from us.  Nasty mob of them.  Not only was one of our cats poisoned, also most of our garden.  Now the poisoned cat (which the vet managed to save) is on a restricted diet for life due to organ damage from the poison.  And we can't leave him in his fully netted yard in case the poisoner has another go

We weren't 'cat people' before, but since our foray into cat rescue we've learned that cats are as affectionate, lovable, interesting and loyal as dogs for example.  If they're treated well, they respond in kind

We are foster carers for cats

Quote:
The only real solution is for it to become a finable offence to allow one's cat/s to roam.  One solution is to net the yard, but for those who rent or don't have a yard, a portable or knock-down cat-house should be something people consider before getting a cat.  I've been playing with designs for something suitable for people who only have balconies.  Hopefully, someone else will see an opportunity and start producing them affordably

Good idea

Quote:
The problem lies in the fact cats keep different hours to humans. For convenience, most people put their cat outside for the night.  But with patience (and cooperation on the cat's part) cats do learn to adjust in the main to human timetables

Government/councils will have to take the situation seriously before much longer, considering the numbers of people who live now in high rise apartments, etc.  In the meantime, humans remain exasperated because of people's cats and cats continue to rip each other and wildlife to shreds

thanks

I am catching 1 cat per day

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:14pm

Used to love go out shooting feral cats, you wouldnt believe how many there are in the bush. Foxes, cats and rabbits need to be exterminated completely from this land mass. Having them as pets is absolutely insane.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:19pm

One solution is to net the yard, but for those who rent or don't have a yard, a portable or knock-down cat-house should be something people consider before getting a cat

you could build a cat run

or for a more practical run

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:28pm

Quote:
QUEENSLAND is finally turning the tide in the war on the feral pests plaguing the state — gunning down everything from cats of “truly monstrous proportions” to goats and turtle-eating pigs.

The state will soon start a fresh battle against feral pigs in a bid to stop them killing off baby turtles ahead of this year’s nesting season, as it also continues to target bilby-devouring cats.

As part of a “sustained attack” on pests, a $7 million joint venture will see the pigs hunted down and destroyed to give the turtle hatchlings — who typically struggle to survive even without the threat of predators — a “fighting chance”.

Work is under way to seek expressions of interests from organisations wanting to help with pest-control measures, but the actual hunt won’t begin until at least October.

Meanwhile, National Parks Minister Steve Dickson said a plague of feral cats had been contained following a two-year program and an investment of more than $350,000 with the result that Queensland’s dwindling bilby population can recover.

“When the program began, hundreds of cats — some of truly monstrous proportions — were being removed on every visit,” he said.

A small victory has been recorded at Astrelba Downs in the state’s west, where more than 3000 feral cats have been eliminated. Cat and wild dog populations in the region soared after two years of un­usually high rainfall from 2009 spurred on by a boom in the native long-haired rat population.

A massive drop in rat numbers led to the ferocious cat hordes turning their attention to one of the last remaining populations of the endangered greater bilby.

In the past 18 months, about 120 bilbies have been found in the stomachs of shot cats — out of a total estimated population of just 700.

The cull has proved to be a large success with a recent eight-day effort netting 14 feral cats.

“The challenges of managing feral animals across Queensland are huge,” Mr Dickson said.

“Our national parks are home to many species on the brink of extinction and their survival relies on us.”

This year’s phase of the Sundown National Park feral animal program, undertaken in June about 40km southwest of Stanthorpe, took out 177 fallow deer, 29 feral goats and three pigs — with previous hunts nabbing foxes, as well.

About 15 hours of flight time went into the operation, with a kill rate of 14 animals per hour.

Senior ranger Andrew Kingston, who is helping lead efforts to control feral pigs near Mt Glorious, said feral pigs destroy native wildlife and plant life, spread weeds, carry diseases, destroy waterways and cause a raft of problems for native ecosystems.

His team uses traps to contain the animals before shooting them.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-turns-tide-on-feral-ani...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:33pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 8:28pm:
with a kill rate of 14 animals per hour.

there must be a hell of a lot of stray cats to be hitting those sorts of figures

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print