Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
South Australia intervenes in electricity market (Read 4133 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South Australia intervenes in electricity market
Jul 15th, 2016 at 3:19pm

'Turmoil in South Australia’s heavily wind-reliant electricity market has forced the state government to plead with the owner of a mothballed gas-fired power station to turn it back on.

The emergency measures are needed to ease punishing costs for South Australian industry as National Electricity Market (NEM) prices in the state have frequently surged above $1000 a megawatt hour this month and at one point on Tuesday hit the $14,000MWh maximum price.

Complaints from business about the extreme prices – in normal times they are below $100 – prompted the state government to ask energy company ENGIE to switch its mothballed Pelican Point gas power station back on.'

http://www.afr.com/business/energy/south-australia-intervenes-in-electricity-mar...

(Paywalled)

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: South Australia intervenes in electricity market
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:10pm

I heard that on one particular day when the winds weren't favourable the wind turbines consumed more electricity to power them than they produced.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:16pm

This renewable energy scam has resulted in SA having the most expensive electricity and the most unreliable supply of electricity.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 10:02am

Wind turbines in South Australia were using more power than they generated during the state’s electricity crisis, which has prompted major businesses to threaten shutdowns and smaller firms to consider moving interstate …

Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox yesterday said the rise in prices, already the highest in the country, had disrupted industry and served as a warning for the rest of the nation. “That is a serious blow to energy users across SA and has disrupted supply chains upon which thousands of jobs depend,” he said.

“The real risk is if this volatility becomes the norm across the National Electricity Market.

“In June, electricity cost South Australia $133 per megawatt hour on average — already a high price. But since July 1, electricity prices have spiked above $10,000 per MWh at times.”

This is what happens when wind farms power your economy:

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 6:09pm

BHP were forced to pay $2.5M A DAY for electrcity and considered actually shutting down temporarily. And in unrelated news, BHP has abandoned the Olympic dam mine expansion - an expansion which would have been worth billions in royalties.  I wonder if there is a connection? hmm......

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 5:44pm

The whole of South Australia is blacked out. Power grid shut down. 11 more hours of black out

Libs and Labs are past their use-by date
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2016 at 6:13pm by Bias_2012 »  

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 5:56pm

The government should fire the managers responsible for the debacle.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 6:14pm

The manages should fire the politicians

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 6:51pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jul 25th, 2016 at 6:09pm:
BHP were forced to pay $2.5M A DAY for electrcity and considered actually shutting down temporarily. And in unrelated news, BHP has abandoned the Olympic dam mine expansion - an expansion which would have been worth billions in royalties.  I wonder if there is a connection? hmm......

You don't get to remain a rust belt state without some really fkken stupid decisions by your politicians.

Mind you QLD isn't much better with the Tuckshop Lady still running the show; after employing a few thousand useless public servants, her government hasn't done a single thing to help the greater part of QLD, just looking after the SEQ

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 7:00pm

BigOl64 wrote on Sep 28th, 2016 at 6:51pm:
Mind you QLD isn't much better with the Tuckshop Lady still running the show; after employing a few thousand useless public servants, her government hasn't done a single thing to help the greater part of QLD, just looking after the SEQ

she must be doing a good job if you don't like her

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 7:18pm

John Smith wrote on Sep 28th, 2016 at 7:00pm:

That's a benchmark for unsurpassed quality of service: a hate rant from Bighole64.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 7:22pm

So Longy in Adelaide is offline now?

I bet this was caused by privatization.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 8:14pm

South Australia blackout:

Once in 50-year storm lashes state

The entire state of South Australia is currently without power, with the region in the grip of what could be one of the most extreme weather systems to hit in 50 years.

Here's what we know so far:

All of South Australia and its 1.67 million residents lost power about 3.45pm.
    Power is not expected to be fully restored until 4.15am on Thursday.
    The storm damaged power infrastructure near Port Augusta, causing the entire power network to shut down "to protect itself", SA Premier Jay Weatherill says.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/south-australia-blackout-once-in-50year-storm-las...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/32749123/south-australia-adelaide-warned-to-brace...

Hailstones found on the Lincoln highway near Midgee. Photo: Facebook/Pauline Noble

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #13 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:17am

The people of the north can thank her for 14% unemployment with no plans to fix anything; ye she's a keeper alright'

She won't be there long, come next election, I can assure you.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #14 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:18am

Unforgiven wrote on Sep 28th, 2016 at 7:18pm:

That's a benchmark for unsurpassed quality of service: a hate rant from Bighole64.

Shoosh this is not a deranged conversation for conspiraloons, so run along little man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print