Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Halal food
Reply #90 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:28pm

Ajax wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:23pm:
cods wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:13pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 2:57pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 10th, 2016 at 9:02pm:
Our live exports are halal, remind me who it is who wants to stop our live exports, for meat to be halal is must be killed by a muslim.

Tell me Baron, does that include Vietnamese beating cattle over the head with a sledgehammer?

you do have a point.. its disgraceful....

however this is about what is allowed in this Country.... this is something we have control over..

I buy free range eggs.....WHY.. because I do not like the way those hens are treated....

its my choice.....I can buy a product with a Heart Foundation tick on it... if I chose too..and buy the one without and it will cost me no more..

however with this Halal cost.. I am paying for it even though I am not buying it..

and thats what riles me...as far as I know Kosher meat isnt sold in supermarkets......at least if it is I havent been told about it...as far as I know Jewish areas have their own butchers....and shops....they dont intrude on my life..

however if what has been said they are allowed by courtesy of the RSPCA to slaughter animals without stunning them... then that is disgraceful....barbaric...

how can we have two sets of rules in this country... Angry Angry Angry Angry

how can we point the finger at other nations.. Angry Angry Angry

cods  can tell you now that fresh meat from a butcher shop is no way any cheaper than buying halal meat from a halal butcher shop.

I know I have shopped at both.

Although I don't know about the packaged food cause I have never bought halal products.

But I have and still buy halal meat.

thats not what I am talking about..

but why do you buy halal meat.???

if the halal meat was dearer I would know I was paying for all this religious crap....but if as you say it isnt... then the way I see it..

the meat that isnt halal is carrying the cost of the label....

if I use a butcher that only puts a sign on the window....

I know he has paid to use that sign...

and he is passing on the cost of that sign....

I would not use his shop..

but in the case of supermarkets....the cost is added overall....

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #91 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:34pm

cods wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:28pm:
cods wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 6:13pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 2:57pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 10th, 2016 at 9:02pm:
Our live exports are halal, remind me who it is who wants to stop our live exports, for meat to be halal is must be killed by a muslim.

Tell me Baron, does that include Vietnamese beating cattle over the head with a sledgehammer?

you do have a point.. its disgraceful....

however this is about what is allowed in this Country.... this is something we have control over..

I buy free range eggs.....WHY.. because I do not like the way those hens are treated....

its my choice.....I can buy a product with a Heart Foundation tick on it... if I chose too..and buy the one without and it will cost me no more..

however with this Halal cost.. I am paying for it even though I am not buying it..

and thats what riles me...as far as I know Kosher meat isnt sold in supermarkets......at least if it is I havent been told about it...as far as I know Jewish areas have their own butchers....and shops....they dont intrude on my life..

however if what has been said they are allowed by courtesy of the RSPCA to slaughter animals without stunning them... then that is disgraceful....barbaric...

how can we have two sets of rules in this country... Angry Angry Angry Angry

how can we point the finger at other nations.. Angry Angry Angry

cods  can tell you now that fresh meat from a butcher shop is no way any cheaper than buying halal meat from a halal butcher shop.

Although I don't know about the packaged food cause I have never bought halal products.

But I have and still buy halal meat.

thats not what I am talking about..

but why do you buy halal meat.???

if the halal meat was dearer I would know I was paying for all this religious crap....but if as you say it isnt... then the way I see it..

the meat that isnt halal is carrying the cost of the label....

if I use a butcher that only puts a sign on the window....

I know he has paid to use that sign...

and he is passing on the cost of that sign....

I would not use his shop..

but in the case of supermarkets....the cost is added overall....

When I'm searching for a whole lamb for the spit I don't really care whether its halal or not.

As long as what I want (quality, size, not too much fat etc.) is there to be bought I buy it whether its halal or not.

And there is no difference in price.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #92 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 7:12pm

FD's argument is that halal is so integrated into the system that it pushes the price up of everything. Thats how he explains no price difference.  Tongue

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #93 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 7:57pm

Feel free to quote me Gandalf.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #94 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 9:26pm

freediver wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 9:23pm:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-07/halal-certifiers-offer-payment-for-indonesian-market-access/6753126

One of Australia's largest red meat processors, JBS Australia Pty Ltd, paid $2.4 million for halal certification in 2014.

In 2013, AFIC attempted to give the MUI $20,000 as a donation towards the construction of a new office, but after sending a cheque to MUI the payment was refused.

"We wanted to make sure that I, as the president of the federation at the time, wanted nothing to do whatsoever with making a bribe to individuals."

AFIC spokesman Amjad Mehboob has denied it was an attempt to gain more access to Indonesia's halal certified market.

"One might think that it ... it may have some links with halal, it may have been ... it was not put that way ... people can make something out of it," he said.

"When I talk about [the Islamic Coordinating Council of Victoria] ICCV in particular, that money's spent in Australia for Australians," ICCV deputy chairman Ekrem Ozyurek said.

But Four Corners has confirmed the ICCV's profits from halal certification in Australia are also travelling to Indonesia to help build a sprawling $5 million development controlled by a senior MUI official.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #95 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 9:26pm

freediver wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 3:18pm:
Most of these extortionist fees are applied at the abattoir level, which allows them to squeeze the entire industry. There are a small number of abattoirs, compared to say the number of farmers or the number of retail outlets. This affects prices across the entire industry. Even if you buy the non-halal product, the price will be influenced (increased) by this extortion.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #96 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 10:25pm

Ajax wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 5:58pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 3:27pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 3:13pm:
Having a muslim praying over my food would just turn my stomach.
I'm funny that way Gandalf.

Yes you are.

You know what worries me?  It's the idea that some Kosher butcher could slaughter an animal that has never been stunned.   All Ovine and Bovine slaughter in Australia for Halal purposes have to be stunned before their throats are cut.   According the RSPCA, only Kosher abattoirs have been granted the right to slaughter without stunning.    Roll Eyes

Hhmm...that's interesting....no stunning.

I don't see anyone arcing up about that............!!

Bwian is telling lies again there are exemptions on stunning for halal in Australia.

There is no stunning for halal outside of Australia.

Bwian is such a bullshit artist nobody stays in his forum so he trolls this one. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #97 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 10:32pm

In my local Woolies and Coles the kosher food has its own section.  This means that IF you wish to buy kosher food you can do so in that particular section.

Halal, on the other hand, is scattered throughout the store, much of which is not even labelled halal.  So even if you search products for the halal label you may, or may not,  find it. 

That is NOT giving us the choice we deserve to be given as to which products we wish to purchase.  It's deceitful at best.

Agree or disagree with halal  ...  we deserve the right to choose.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 9:44am

I do not buy caged eggs... and I would not buy halal or kosher meat....

I should be told....if its good enough for the egg industry to label.their product its good enough for this....

we al;l know and I am sick of being told that Halal mean a lot of things....anzac biscuits have no grog or pork in them   who would have thought..

the largest red meat processor paid,,,$2.4.million in 2014...
freediver wrote Yesterday at 9:23pm:

do not tell me that is only passed on to halal killed meat... as ajax points out the price he pays is the same..... so we all get charged for that certificate... Angry Angry...

as I am sure no company suck up that cost...

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #99 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 9:49am

Belgarion wrote on Jul 9th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
The issue with halal meat is the way it is slaughtered, inflicting unnecessary pain and distress on the animal. This brings us to the halal certification process in general. There is no difference between halal certified food and any other, but the consumer is bearing the cost of pandering to the deluded religious beliefs of a noisy minority. 

ONly in certain countries, in Australia halal slaughtering involves stunning of the animal to remove the pain

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 9:57am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 9:49am:
The issue with halal meat is the way it is slaughtered, inflicting unnecessary pain and distress on the animal. This brings us to the halal certification process in general. There is no difference between halal certified food and any other, but the consumer is bearing the cost of pandering to the deluded religious beliefs of a noisy minority. 

ONly in certain countries, in Australia halal slaughtering involves stunning of the animal to remove the pain

Unfortunately, "there are a small number of abattoirs in Australia that have been granted permission from the relevant State or Territory food authority to conduct religious slaughter without prior stunning – for either Halal or Kosher (Jewish slaughter) purposes."

"These ‘approvals’ are effectively exemptions to standard Australian slaughter practice. The proportion of animals slaughtered under these exemptions is very small, but nevertheless that any animals are slaughtered without stunning is of concern to the RSPCA." RSPCA

"It is the state/territory food authority that provides abattoirs with special permission to conduct religious slaughter without prior stunning. If you are opposed to slaughter without prior stunning, please contact your state/territory Minister for Agriculture to make your views known."

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 10:31am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 9:49am:

its isnt just the way animals are slaughtered....I would think and hope we were better than allowing animals to be slaughtered terrified... Angry Angry

in the mean time... its the cost of the Halal badge that gets passed on to all and sundry....that is a huge problem...where does this money go anyway????....

why should anyone pay to put a label on something... that isnt do more good.......the Heart mTick for instance supports people living with heart problems.. and so forth..

what does the Halal foundation do for the country...

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #102 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 10:42am

41% of the food in the USA is packaged as kosher, which is more restrictive than halal, while only 2% of the population is Jewish. Why? Cause Muslims eat kosher when they can't get halal. And other groups like it too. Funny thing is, Americans don't seem to give a schitt.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #103 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 10:48am

cods wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 9:44am:
as I am sure no company suck up that cost...

Exactly.  Why would they?  They are certainly not benevolent.   They are there for one reason and one reason only, to make a profit.  Many, like Cadbury, do it sneakily by slowly reducing the size of their product whilst the price still creeps up.

It's absurd to think that they shoulder the costs of halal certification.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 10:50am

cods wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 10:31am:
what does the Halal foundation do for the country...

Here's one take on it:

"The additional income produced by a company that gains halal certification and accreditation belongs to the company (not Halal Australia) and contributes millions of dollars to the Australian economy every year – far more than anything that is paid for the certification itself.

"Having products halal certified also allows domestic businesses to expand their reach by giving them the opportunity to export products to international markets, giving these businesses a competitive advantage allowing for even greater benefit to the Australian economy."

Link

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print