Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The rise of cultural parasites (Read 1002 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: The rise of cultural parasites
Reply #15 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 12:09am

Any o' yo neggars got an answer?

So much for the filter's demise.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #16 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 12:12am

Creativity, inventiveness, thinking outside the box are truly all relics from the past.

These days the youth are conditioned to be feed information through our great advances in technology rather than being creative.

This is where the oligarchy wants future generations, not one of them being able to think for themselves they have to be feed the information that the oligarchy want to push on to these new generations, much like a mother selects and feeds her new born.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 12:53am

Ajax wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 12:12am:
Creativity, inventiveness, thinking outside the box are truly all relics from the past.

These days the youth are conditioned to be feed information through our great advances in technology rather than being creative.

This is where the oligarchy wants future generations, not one of them being able to think for themselves they have to be feed the information that the oligarchy want to push on to these new generations, much like a mother selects and feeds her new born.

This is where Sparta, demands the wall of Athens be demolished

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 12:59am

... wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 10:49am:
AiA wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 6:56am:
in the midst of 20,000 years of progress squeezed into a single century a few "dangerous" liberals aren't going to make any more difference than would a mosquito to a dinosaur

Mosquitoes are responsible for more deaths than any other creature.

Bad analogy. 

We are in the midst of a technological speed up that likes that mankind has never seen before. All you have done is put a simplistic Left v Right template over what is happening. It means nothing.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 1:19am

AiA wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 12:59am:
in the midst of 20,000 years of progress squeezed into a single century a few "dangerous" liberals aren't going to make any more difference than would a mosquito to a dinosaur

Bad analogy. 

We are in the midst of a technological speed up that likes that mankind has never seen before. All you have done is put a simplistic Left v Right template over what is happening. It means nothing.

Yee haw!

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 1:24am

Can't relate?

Ya bunch of soggy bottoms.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:43am

Setanta wrote on Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:37pm:
Is Rock & Roll cultural piracy?

Funny you should mention music, because I've been watching older music videos on youtube lately, and the difference between then and now is striking.  Look at artists from 30+ years ago like Billy Joel, meat loaf - they're not very good-looking people.  The female singers are all pretty average too, not sex bombs like Katy Perry.  They became stars for their music, not because of a confected image.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 9:03am

AiA wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 12:59am:

Bad analogy. 

I understand you're getting frustrated because I'm not buying into your frame, but if you recall, the article mentioned both liberals and christians as contributing to this trend.  You would expect liberals to get the lions share of the examples, since the orthodoxy is liberal.  You don't give fringes as much weight as you would the mainstream. 

Technology is a different beast to what I/the article is talking about.  In fact, technology even helps facilitate a lack of creativity. 

Don't know how to do something?  No need to experiment to find a solution anymore - google it.

No more engineering solutions to specific problems - there's a mass produced machine available to do it for you.

Having a philosophical discussion at the pub?  No need to think of a witty, credible argument - just pull out your phone and follow a link.

I've already discussed how a growing proportion of workers produce nothing, and buy rather than create things to meet their own needs.  The last thing I finished making was a home gym setup out of recycled materials, and I keep getting asked why I didn't just buy the stuff.  Why the hell should I?  I can make it exactly how I want it, for a quarter of the price AND learn while I'm doing it.

Similarly, if my wife sews something, her circle of hens gasp in awe that somebody MADE something.  They're not even difficult things - we learnt the skills in school when we were ~10, yet it's become seen as some sort of arcane skill. She makes a tiny fraction of the amount of stuff my mum and her circle of hens did as a matter of routine, which in turn was a fraction of what my grandmother and her circle did. 

Technology has removed the need to create and left hands and minds idle.  Yours seems to be some of the idle ones, but you want to share the credit for those who still do create and innovate, by virtue of being part of the same species. 

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print