Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Who is the real historical jesus ? (Read 38261 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Who is the real historical jesus ?
Reply #120 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 4:58pm

Amadd wrote on Apr 6th, 2017 at 10:09am:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 6th, 2017 at 6:44am:
Alongside this question is just what people mean by "Faith."

If it is a fact that biblical stories are (or were) largely pertaining to planetary movement, then there would be a realistic faith in the magi (or astronomers) who could predict future events.

As far as a person such as Jesus actually existing, the idea is ridiculous.

So, you reject Tacitus's account as ridiculous too? Why?

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #121 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 1:07am

I should have clarified "The Biblical version".

Can you clarify the Tacitus account that you are referring to of Jesus please?

It seems that Tacitus is the only semi-reliable account of somebody known as the Christus.
Of course there is no mention of miracles..etc. etc. This is what I'm referring to when I say that it's ridiculous. I think Tacitus was a well enough regarded historian who would not make claim about such rot.

Jeez (no pun), you'd hardly bet your house on a "second coming" if the Tacitus account of Jesus is the only historical account that you're putting your faith in.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #122 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:18am

If you are only contesting the biblical Jesus, I would not bother commenting. Wikipedia has enough on Tacitus and the historical Jesus. I am not so interested in Roman writers to delve into the works. Overall, my view is that Jesus was a man, not a supernatural being.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #123 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:15am

issuevoter wrote on Apr 7th, 2017 at 8:18am:
If you are only contesting the biblical Jesus, I would not bother commenting. Wikipedia has enough on Tacitus and the historical Jesus. I am not so interested in Roman writers to delve into the works. Overall, my view is that Jesus was a man, not a supernatural being.

I don't think it's possible to disregard the biblical Jesus, being that this is the true importance to this day. There could have been many ordinary fellows Jesus that fit the bill from very scarce historical records.

Christianity started from somewhere. I think it's more than co-incidental that the supernatural Jesus shares so many traits with foregone solar dieties.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #124 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 7:48am

Here's a good article on the subject:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-th...

But anyone who claims to have communication with, or esoteric knowledge of, cosmic forces, is indicating their particular neurosis. Basically, they need a hobby, preferably one including occupational therapy. Gardening is good.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #125 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:48am

post #124.....

Everyone is aware of [all of] the 'experiences' which this world 'thrusts' upon our awareness/consciousness.

[what this world 'presents to us, to our consciousness, is a very deliberate and intended distraction, imo]

But, if you believe that you experience self-awareness, what does that mean ?

It means that you have the capacity to meditate, and, to explore your 'circumstances'.

Some of us do that.

While many of us are happy to give our whole attention to the distractions which this world presents us with.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #126 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:32pm

Yadda wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:48am:
post #124.....

Everyone is aware of [all of] the 'experiences' which this world 'thrusts' upon our awareness/consciousness.

[what this world 'presents to us, to our consciousness, is a very deliberate and intended distraction, imo]

It means that you have the capacity to meditate, and, to explore your 'circumstances'.

Some of us do that.

While many of us are happy to give our whole attention to the distractions which this world presents us with.

Yes, except for the deliberate bit.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #127 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 7:49pm

issuevoter wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
post #124.....

Some of us do that.

Murder.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #128 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 8:34pm

Yadda wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
post #124.....

Some of us do that.

Murder.

You will have to explain what that means. (Oh boy! I asked for it, didn't I?)

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #129 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:30pm

issuevoter wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 7:48am:
Here's a good article on the subject:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-th...

But anyone who claims to have communication with, or esoteric knowledge of, cosmic forces, is indicating their particular neurosis. Basically, they need a hobby, preferably one including occupational therapy. Gardening is good.

Yeah, I agree that gardening would be a great religion. If only the same tax breaks were on offer  Angry

I also understand Yadda's POV that time for personal reflection and spirituality should be held sacred.
But that should be done without the bs of a supernatural Jesus IMO. Because that belief only leaves the door open for the propagation of even more bs.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #130 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 11:47am

je ( son of ) sus ( zeus )

the real name is Yahweh

in christs light ..

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #131 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 9:12pm

Believe what you want to believe. Just don't preach about it. That is a sure sign of someone looking for verification from others. The more people you can get to agree with you, the better you feel about yourself. Childish. There's better things to do, like origami or scrabble.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #132 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 10:37am

yes knowledge is power ..

when you research you have the answer .. many prefer apathy

yet either way be at peace

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christiancrier/2014/05/30/what-does-yahweh-mean-a-b...

What Does Yahweh Mean? A Biblical Study

Is YHWH Yahweh?
YHWH is a Tetragrammaton or God’s given name in the Old Testament but Bible scholars cannot agree on exactly how this name of God was or is to be pronounced.  The Hebrew language does not contain vowels (e.g. e, I o, u, a) so that is why God’s name appears as YHWH and that is why all the letters of His name are always capitalized since His name is a proper noun.  When God revealed His name to Moses, He revealed Himself as YHWH or Yahweh which is best translated as “I AM WHO I AM” again, in all capital letters (EX 3:14-15).  The Hebrew for “I AM” is “ehyeh” which could also be read to mean “I will be” but when God refers to Himself it must mean “I AM.”   I AM means that God exists already and is the speaker when this is used but when humans speak of Him it could be said “HE IS” (again, all caps).

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #133 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 12:00pm

I met a bloke once called Jesus.

I suspect that his name was quite a hindrance to his success.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #134 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 7:23am

Heheh! Trigonometrinity...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print