issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Favourite Quotes
Reply #45 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 10:29pm

Yadda wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 9:27pm:

an example of the selfless life....

encouraging the doing of something good, with no thought of reward [or acknowledment] for the self....

how rare is that, in today's modern world ?

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
- Greek proverb

I think the Greek proverb is beautiful. When it comes to the rareness of that "selfless life," I think it is probably as rare as it has ever been.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #46 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:16am

Compare the example of individualised merit, encouraged in/expressed by, that Greek proverb,      ....with this ugly truth [about the nature of most men and women] being expressed in this next quote.

"Right is only in question between equals, and while the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must."

Thucydides (460-400 B.C.) Greek Historian

Suggesting to me, that many, or most of us?, are indeed potential/nascent tyrants,    ....given the appropriate environment ?

No ?

To me, that Thucydides quote describes accurately, how almost all of us, men and women, are transformed by our everyday interaction with this world,       .....from being an almost innocent creature [in childhood],       .....[to some degree,] into being [undoubtedly] a cynical, cruel, and immoral creature.

Dictionary;
cynical = =
1 believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest.     sceptical.     contemptuous; mocking.
2 concerned only with one’s own interests and disregarding accepted standards to achieve them.

+++

A few more quotes, from another source.....

Isaiah 48:10
Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

Daniel 12:10
Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

Revelation 21:7
He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 1:20am

Righteousness  is doing more than is expected  and less than is allowed .Some old Roman pedophile.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2016 at 3:24pm by Mr Hammer »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #48 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 11:45am

Yadda, your three biblical quotes are the edited rants of people who did not believe they could be wrong.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 1:26pm

Mine, in no particular order

' The coward dies a thousand deaths ... the brave man dies but once '

' Fools learn through experience -- wise men learn through observation '

' Keep your face to the sun and let the shadows fall behind you '

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #50 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:11pm

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
- Greek proverb

I have to say two things:
- I've done a lot of that but I don't see the society growing great, in fact I see it growing worse
- not only will I not live to sit in the shade of many of them, but some bloody developer will, I know, come along and cut them down.

PS I've just seen with my own eyes such an abomination. The great park of Retford House at Bowral NSW, once the home of the Hordern and Fairfax families, which contained 150 year old trees, many of them, has been levelled and the trees chipped, to make way for a housing development.
We have no respect for heritage in this country.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #51 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:25pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:11pm:
- Greek proverb

I have to say two things:
- I've done a lot of that but I don't see the society growing great, in fact I see it growing worse
- not only will I not live to sit in the shade of many of them, but some bloody developer will, I know, come along and cut them down.

PS I've just seen with my own eyes such an abomination. The great park of Retford House at Bowral NSW, once the home of the Hordern and Fairfax families, which contained 150 year old trees, many of them, has been levelled and the trees chipped, to make way for a housing development.

We have no respect for heritage in this country.

It would seem so.

Isaiah 5:8
Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:28pm

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #53 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 8:11am

Leonardo da Vince left a note on one of his anatomical studies that say something to the effect:

"The genitals and the act of coitus are so ugly, that if it were not for the beauty of the faces, nature would lose the human species."

He was a complex fellow.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 12:56pm

Abbreviated version:

' You can't fool all of the people all of the time'

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #55 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 2:26pm

"Religion is the opium of the people." - Karl Marx

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -  Grouch Marx

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #56 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 7:40am

"Live fast, die young, and have a good looking corpse." John Derek in the movie Knock On Any Door, wrongly attributed to James Dean.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print