Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
There are collectors . . . (Read 1149 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

There are collectors . . .
Jun 6th, 2016 at 10:57am

. . . and then there are fanatics.

Lord Bannside, better remembered as Ian Paisley, the firebrand Protestant leader in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, who was to go on and help to negotiate the peace agreement with Martin McGuiness, with whom amazingly he became close friends . . .he's been a fanatic book collector all his life.

His daughter says he spent every bit of his spare time browsing through book fairs wherever he was. And even up to a couple of weeks before his death he would be able to recall passages from many of his books and tell people where to find the book and the passage they were looking for.

Since his death some time ago, his collection of around 60,000 books has been set up in the Bannside Library in Belfast. The collection contains books on just about everything and some go back to the 16th century.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: There are collectors . . .
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 9:38pm

YES I love BOOKS. I love to read BOOKS.
Have a wee collection of my own, with some interesting old original editions and a variety of topics. My favourite collection is of old Science Fiction paperbacks. I mean .. have you ever heard of  'Little Fuzzy' ?  for example .
I have several works by the tragic author of a number of novels , who committed suicide because he had failed to get publishers interested... but the letter was already in the mail to him.!! He killed himself when fame was on his doorstep. Alas. He gave up too soon.  H. Beam Piper.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 9:42pm

or
'The Way of Zen', by Alan Watts.
Ist Paperback edition ;; 1957.

It is amazing what is out there. ON PAPER.

live every day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 1:31pm

One of the nicest things about these stately homes you see on TV, apart from the gardens, is the libraries. Walls of books, leather bound, going back centuries.
Of course you have to get past the fact that these places have been built off the sweat of the downtrodden, sometimes the slave trade even.
But for all that they are magnificent creations and, in the hands of the National Trust, are accessible to generations to come.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 12:29am

indeed

live every day

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print