Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Market notes
Reply #45 - May 13th, 2017 at 3:20pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 13th, 2017 at 10:33am:
The day CBA stuffed the market - 9th of May, 2017

Data and comments courtesy of Richard 'Coppo' Coppleson from Bell Potter

https://dpsi7pmz5b6vt.cloudfront.net/uploads/ckeditor/picture/786/content_CBA_Pr...
1.It was a big day for volume on the ASX. CBA alone CBA saw volume of 6.4m shares or 88% above their normal volume
2.CBA had it's 8th biggest one day fall in 7 years (since 2010) & worst 1 day fall in 15 months
3.The fall was so bad that CBA alone took -21.5 points OFF the ASX 200- or in other words today was the day CBA stuffed the market
4.They accounted for an incredible 69% of the fall - all by themselves
5.It was like the market said... 'You don't deserve to be the most expensive bank in the world any more - you don't deserve to trade at a big premium to the other banks'

Some good volatility there, may have to look at some options around CBA.

IBI

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #46 - May 30th, 2017 at 3:45pm

The Hundred Billion Dollar Man
By Sprott Money

In the middle of 2014; Warren Buffett's cash hoard reached an all-time record high: $50 billion. Readers were warned at that time that the Vampire of Omaha was already planning on feasting on the misery of others following the Next Crash. Three more years have gone by. Now the Buffett cash hoard has hit $100 billion – and the bubbles are much bigger.

. . .It's not that Warren Buffett can't find any companies in which he would like to deploy some of Berkshire Hathaway's (and his own) vampire dollars. It's that Buffett doesn't want to pay bubble prices for these equities.

. . .The disconnect between U.S. market valuations and the actual fundamentals of the U.S. economy is far, far greater than at any other time in history. Worse than in the Crash of '08. Worse than in the Dot-Com Bubble. Worse than in the Crash of '29.

https://www.sprottmoney.com/Blog/the-hundred-billion-dollar-man.html

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #47 - May 31st, 2017 at 10:00am

Investors must be willing to forego some near-term return, if necessary, as an insurance premium against unexpected and unpredictable adversity."

“When share prices are low, as they were in the fall of 2008 into early 2009, actual risk is usually quite muted while perception of risk is very high. By contrast, when securities prices are high, as they are today, the perception of risk is muted, but the risks to investors are quite elevated.”

Seth Klarman, hedge fund CEO

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #48 - May 31st, 2017 at 12:24pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 10:00am:
Investors must be willing to forego some near-term return, if necessary, as an insurance premium against unexpected and unpredictable adversity."

“When share prices are low, as they were in the fall of 2008 into early 2009, actual risk is usually quite muted while perception of risk is very high. By contrast, when securities prices are high, as they are today, the perception of risk is muted, but the risks to investors are quite elevated.”

Seth Klarman, hedge fund CEO

I have SOME NEWS for the US FED, the RBA & others, THE LOCAL & GLOBAL ECONOMIC OUTCOMES ARE BASED ON A NUMBER OF MAJOR INTERACTIVE FACTORS!
And, for some time & some time to come, those major Economic Factors are-
1) Demographics - An Aging Population, with a Slowing Growth.
2) Energy - Supply Slowing & Prices Reacting to a Number of issues.
3) Climate Change - The Goldilocks Global Climate is finished, No matter what some Politicians may Think &/or Say.
4) Debt - Rising, until some gives way?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #49 - May 31st, 2017 at 1:12pm

I'd agree with no 1 & 4.

The western economies in particular are sitting on a Pension Bomb.
As for debt, contrary to the views of many, there IS a tomorrow.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 3:09pm

Now is the winter of our discontent
Not yet made glorious summer by falling stock prices . . .

But hang around till October/November
And the fruit will be hanging low

That's my belief anyway

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #51 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 6:27am

Warren Buffet is nothing if not totally unpredictable.
Overnight he bought a 38% stake in Canada's ailing Home Capital Group for $400m and provided a $1.5 billion line of credit to them.
Canada's biggest non-bank lender was beset with mortgage fraud allegations and battles with regulators but Buffet saw value there and pounced.
Other investors would be running the other way.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #52 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 11:08am

Rio has appointed an independent director called Ann Godbehere.
What a strange name. Sounds Shakespearean.

I wonder if there's anybody with a surname Godbewithyou?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #53 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 11:13am

Christine Holgate becomes the boss of Australia Post.
She did a marvellous job with Blackmores.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #54 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 11:13am

bogarde73 wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 11:08am:
Rio has appointed an independent director called Ann Godbehere.
What a strange name. Sounds Shakespearean.

I wonder if there's anybody with a surname Godbewithyou?

As an accountant, I'm sure she fastidious and understand that the devil is in the details  Grin Grin Grin

IBI

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 2:11pm

Further to the new boss of Australia Post:

FinReview:

Outgoing Blackmores chief executive Christine Holgate is happy to take a paycut in order to make a "social contribution" by becoming the first woman to lead Australia Post.
Ms Holgate met with shocked shareholders on Tuesday morning to explain her decision but said she was comfortable given the strong position of the vitamins company which has increased in share price $18 to the current level of $93 during her nine year tenure. In 2016, the company's shares hit $220.

The Blackmores board has asked Marcus Blackmore to return from sabbatical to act as interim chief executive.

"To open one door you have to close another. The only way I could close that door was knowing that Blackmores was in such a strong position," Ms Holgate told a press conference on Tuesday.

Ms Holgate will receive a base salary of $1.375 million a year, with the potential to earn a 100 per cent bonus for a $2.75 million salary as Australia Post's new boss.

The package is less than half of outgoing CEO Ahmed Fahour's $5.6 million pay which triggered a public outcry and led to Mr Fahour's resignation. The package is also less than Ms Holgate's $2.84 million package at Blackmores but Ms Holgate said the job was never about pay.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #56 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 6:00pm

Reporting  season is when I spend time looking for dividend trades - stocks to get in & out of with a good yield and hopefully some profit.
Usually small to mid caps, but the fundamentals have to be good, the div yield above average and the chart promising.
Some stocks come just for the short stay, some stick around (like VLW), some repeat their visit more than once.
This year I'm looking at mostly getting out quick and staying cashed up for a possible crash in October/November. In any event I generally get out as soon as even a small profit is available.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #57 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 3:09pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 6:00pm:
Reporting  season is when I spend time looking for dividend trades - stocks to get in & out of with a good yield and hopefully some profit.
Usually small to mid caps, but the fundamentals have to be good, the div yield above average and the chart promising.
Some stocks come just for the short stay, some stick around (like VLW), some repeat their visit more than once.
This year I'm looking at mostly getting out quick and staying cashed up for a possible crash in October/November. In any event I generally get out as soon as even a small profit is available.

I miss the volatility of a few years ago as I mostly do options.
I also go quiet on options during reporting season as it makes things a bit complicated Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #58 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 7:03pm

A year ago someone was really working me to get into McGrath LTD at about 1.10  Its down to .70 and headed down. Glad I picked up some extra RIO for 50  Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #59 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 4:28pm

Qantas SMASHED today!

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7