Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Does cannabis cause schitzophrenia ? (Read 12165 times)
juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Does cannabis cause schitzophrenia ?
Apr 21st, 2016 at 4:16pm

Stone the crows! Want to bend your brain and become schitzophrenic ?

The Victorian government chose ‘Stoner’s Day’ to plant its first medical cannabis seeds
Staff writers news.com.au 38 minutes agoToday is a good day to be a stoner.

“Stay high, stoners. Have a baked day.”

“Happy 420 day stoners.”

“What a beautiful day to get high”.

“Smoke up to all stoners. Today is our day.”

Those comments and thousands more like them are being plastered across social media today, April 20, for a very good reason.

Known around the world as International Stoner’s Day or simply 420 Day, the day is an excuse for stoners — as if they need one — to roll a joint or rip a bong and get themselves especially high.

It’s not something news.com.au expressly condones, of course, nor would it ordinarily be particularly newsworthy. That was until the Victorian Government decided that today, of all days, was the perfect time to plant some weed of its own.

A mistake? A tribute to the marijuana-loving public? A perfectly-executed troll? You can decide.

Victoria became the first Australian state to legalise medical cannabis, following in the footsteps of 23 US states as well as Canada and several forward-thinking European nations.

A cultivation trial is underway and the first seeds have this week been planted at a secret location in Victoria.

The drugs are likely to be used to treat seriously ill children beginning in 2017. Premier Daniel Andrews said he was proud to be making history.

“We promised families that their children would be able to access this life-changing treatment as early as next year, and we’re getting it done,’’ he said.

“Never again will families have to make the heartbreaking choice between watching their children suffer and breaking the law.”

The trial is expected to cost $28.5 million. That’s a lot of drugs.

Online, the announcement is being celebrated. It’s a good day to be a stoner.

http://video.news.com.au/v/319631/Cannabis-The-Evil-Weed

Cannabis - The Evil Weed
WARNING - Graphic Content: Dr John Marsden searches for the truth about cannabis. Medicine or a dangerous narcotic?

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/the-victorian-government-chose-stoners-...

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re: Does cannabis cause schitzophrenia ?
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 5:13pm

juliar wrote on Apr 21st, 2016 at 4:16pm:
It’s not something news.com.au expressly condones, of course, nor would it ordinarily be particularly newsworthy. That was until the Victorian Government decided that today, of all days, was the perfect time to plant some weed of its own.

A mistake?

Unless it's being grown indoors, you bet it's a mistake.  They're planting it 3 months early.

As for the topic question, of course not.  Honky and I have smoked a forest, and we're perfectly fine.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Binary

Serious Business

WA
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:00am

Cannabis is a trap that not all people are smart enough to avoid. It has its applications, and like most things in life if moderated can be useful.
The overzealous nature of pro-pot types promote its few positives as miles ahead of its many negatives.

Of course who wants to be reminded they're killing themselves while they're trying to have a good time.
The problem I see with its marketing is the possibility for its abuse, and the increased intake by younger people.

It's a known fact that the brain does not stop developing until at least 25. It's the basis for most liquor laws protecting kids.
I have personal experience seeing young people destroy their potential with repeated, chronic cannabis use.

Research supports this too:
"A study published in the journal Clinical EEG and Neuroscience
reported that use of marijuana during the teen years negatively impacted:

Brain structure volume
Quality of white matter
Ability to perform cognitive function"

"Coles is run like muslim organisation." - Sir James, ozpolitic.com

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:46pm

Binary wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:00am:
Cannabis is a trap that not all people are smart enough to avoid. It has its applications, and like most things in life if moderated can be useful.
The overzealous nature of pro-pot types promote its few positives as miles ahead of its many negatives.

Of course who wants to be reminded they're killing themselves while they're trying to have a good time.
The problem I see with its marketing is the possibility for its abuse, and the increased intake by younger people.

It's a known fact that the brain does not stop developing until at least 25. It's the basis for most liquor laws protecting kids.
I have personal experience seeing young people destroy their potential with repeated, chronic cannabis use.

Brain structure volume
Quality of white matter

That study didnt look at marijuana on its own. It was looking at alcohol and marijuana.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:58pm

I was under the belief that medical marijuana does not make people "high" -
since other chemicals are synthesized/extracted from it -
which have beneficial properties for those suffering from epilepsy etc.

Therefore this thread is off track.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 3:51pm

Legalising "medical marijuana" shouldn't even be talked about.  It's a ridiculous half-measure. 

Full legalisation, or nothing.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 12:31pm

Brain structure volume
Quality of white matter

Does that mean if I didn't become a user till after 25 then I'm OK?
Cognitive function still seems to be fine despite what the ill-educated and brainwashed lefties say.
If lung cancer sets in I'll be blaming the Lucky Strikes and Liggett & Myers smokes I favoured.

As to depression, that'll be down to poor fella my country, the decline of education & reading, global economics, the New Barbarianism and a host of other complaints too numerous to cover here.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Binary

Serious Business

WA
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:20pm

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2016 at 12:31pm:

Brain structure volume
Quality of white matter

Does that mean if I didn't become a user till after 25 then I'm OK?
Cognitive function still seems to be fine despite what the ill-educated and brainwashed lefties say.
If lung cancer sets in I'll be blaming the Lucky Strikes and Liggett & Myers smokes I favoured.

As to depression, that'll be down to poor fella my country, the decline of education & reading, global economics, the New Barbarianism and a host of other complaints too numerous to cover here.

I think you're much more likely to treat it with respect and care than the average teen which is mostly what it comes down to.
Back in the 70s era of low THC pot you could get away with puffing a joint every so often and it wasn't going to kill you.
These days I see kids as young as 12 loading bong after bong. People don't realise even beyond the health side how this ruins their lives.

They aren't learning, growing, experiancing new things. Just staying inside smoking cones every single day.
If it wasn't bad enough what they're doing to their lungs, even if it was 100% harmless the side affects of the lifestyle are still harmful.

As for depression which you mentioned, I believe it is intrinsically tied with what I just wrote. Smoking weed is a trap.
It holds you to one point in your life while the years wash by. Who wouldn't be depressed if they feel stuck in a rut.
That's not to mention all of the chemical and hormonal changes that marijuana effects in your body. Staying
there for months as THC stored in your fat cells.

Bottom line, if people treated cannabis like alcohol as they should and didn't abuse it by mistakenly regarding it as
harmless the majority of its negative harms to the
body and the users life would be a fraction of what they normally are.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2016 at 5:26pm by Binary »  

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2016 at 6:04pm

I wondered why there were so many Trump supporters in the US.  Now it's obvious. There must be a lot of narcotics users in the US.

Marijuana doesn't affect everybody the same.  Users think that they are perfectly fine. They are not. It's an insidious effect.

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2016 at 7:46pm

My wifes cousin was a  mental health nurse.

He is a limp wristed leftie greenie poofy type.
So I thought i would arc up a conversation about dope and mental health , thinking he would have strong leftie poofo pro dope opinions.

But no he said he said if you saw what he had seen over the years you would be left with no doubt, dope and mental illness are in lock step.

That still leaves the question of cause and effect tho.

IP Logged

Binary

Serious Business

WA
Reply #10 - May 4th, 2016 at 1:15am

miketrees wrote on May 3rd, 2016 at 7:46pm:
My wifes cousin was a  mental health nurse.

He is a limp wristed leftie greenie poofy type.
So I thought i would arc up a conversation about dope and mental health , thinking he would have strong leftie poofo pro dope opinions.

But no he said he said if you saw what he had seen over the years you would be left with no doubt, dope and mental illness are in lock step.

That still leaves the question of cause and effect tho.

I believe it definitely makes peoples underlying mental health conditions worse.
After enough years of chronic daily use, even the most resilient and well balanced
person will develop some form of condition, most likely aggravated forms
of anxiety and paranoia at best.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #11 - May 4th, 2016 at 1:32am

Gawd, I certainly hope so. For the price and high tax buying legal weed entails, I hope to get something out of it for my money.

Anyway, that is an old and biased study and has been debunked several times.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - May 4th, 2016 at 6:53am

Marla wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 1:32am:
Gawd, I certainly hope so. For the price and high tax buying legal weed entails, I hope to get something out of it for my money.

Anyway, that is an old and biased study and has been debunked several times.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:07am

Reefer madness looked like a pretty good product promotion to me.

I could play the piano if i used that

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:14am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:46pm:

Brain structure volume
Quality of white matter

That study didnt look at marijuana on its own. It was looking at alcohol and marijuana.

Forget about that particular study.

You (ought to) know full well that drugs CAN CAUSE MENTAL ILLNESS.... Roll Eyes

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print