Send Topic Print
Addiction..... (Read 3664 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Addiction.....
Apr 21st, 2016 at 1:16am

We live in a high drug-using society here in Oz. Little wonder really when you see how much advertising is directed at selling drugs.
I think the public needs to be better educated about drugs, and substances of addiction.

The public-at-large need to know that they are taking drugs every day,  and addictive drugs at that. All perfectly OK, according to our govt.  Oh? You don't believe this?

I doubt a thinking person needs to have them named,  these every day drugs.  But perhaps I expect too much ?

I mean.. do people realise that they are drug-users.?  AHH it is medicine.   Roll Eyes   Smiley  But sorry people, all medicines are drugs. Whether recognised as such or not, the fact remains, we take drugs every day. Not understanding the potential for harm, because after all, it isn't illegal. Roll Eyes

A new example of an addictive substance has been recently identified. One we use every day.  Can you say what it is..? 

YEP... it is SUGAR.

I have never had a serious sugar addiction,  and feel sorry for all you obese people who think they are normal.   Sorry .. NOT.  You are addicts . Just like all you addicts of high fat food.
Shame on you.. you should be taxed for your addiction, and punished with negative social stereotypes.

Now understand what the basic definition of 'drug' is.
I'll look up an old PAPER dictionary.  ...actually two dated dictionaries.......
.. a substance used in the treatment or prevention of disease. ... a chemical substance..esp a narcotic. taken for the effect it produces..

and

..a substance used as medicine in the treatment of disease..a narcotic, esp one that is addictive  obs a chemical or dye.

..these are the stereotypes we are taught. If it isn't medicine..??  it is by definition, bad.

It doesn't surprise me that sugar is being recognised as addictive. People take it for the pleasure it induces, much like a narcotic. Like caffeine and nicotine, both legal addictive drugs that are consumed for the effect produced, no one would seek to ban sugar .

The concepts people accept as per the status quo are simply erroneous.  What makes a drug.  or substance,, if you like,  illegal.? 

One thing I think should be banned is false advertising.

For example .
.It appalls me to see the bombardment of advertising for a common analgesic. YOU ALL KNOW THE ONE. Or else you've never watched television. Angry
Over the counter medicine, where pretty well everybody uses the major drug company brand name, to describe this whole range of analgesics, sold to you under many names, with many claims.. Long term use results in extensive liver disease. They don't tell you that in their adverts.!! Everybody uses it.. they think it is safe.  Cool  The blandishments of the propaganda overrides the small print, and I have known people who eat them daily. !!

Even though strict studies have shown that this drug is NOT efficacious in pain relief .. headache, arthritis etc, as promised,( a placebo is as effective )  people still swear by it.   WHY..?

These same obese pill eating people condemn those drug takers who prefer a better option. Go figure. Roll Eyes

People need to have a broader understanding of the reality of the world, and it is better to work together than to divide and attempt to decimate certain groups in society. I find it sad that our leaders structure our society into such divisive groups through enacted Law.

A sad world indeed.

live every day

IP Logged

Binary

Serious Business

WA
Re: Addiction.....
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 1:58am

I heard recently from someone I've met of their battle with a self professed 'addiction' to soft drinks such as coke etc.
Until then I didn't realise people struggled with sugar dependency.

I've found it is almost synonymous with low income households and neglected children.
It is easier to give kids what they want at that age (sugar), especially if you weren't raised to be aware of its dangers.

Sugar is 'my first addiction' for these kids, starting the trend early for forming bad habits.
All the markers are there. The vicious cycles of up and down, bingeing and withdrawal.

I don't blame them, or their parents. Enough generations of bad parenting can lead to these unhealthy habits.

"Coles is run like muslim organisation." - Sir James, ozpolitic.com

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:15am

I don't think bad parenting is the cause.. rather it is a symptom of a much wider malaise in our society.

What is that..?

Rationalism of the economic variety .. the god of consumerism dictates that we are seen as consumers and users of products. Even our government holds this view.  Hence education is less funded.. don't want the mob too informed.  Sad

This increasingly insane and non-viable society is degenerating because of the drive for profit. Humans are just movable counters in the game of political rationalism. When government morphed into a business, under Howard, the rot began.

It is our children who will really pay the price.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 10:13pm

Tough isn't it?  to think about things like drugs from a different stance.  Or did no one manage.?

Not to worry...  it is hard to understand one's own view as contrived and blinkered and based on lies..

If asked, no doubt a reply would consist of all the old stereotypes.

Hard to see yourself as addicted,  isn't it?.

live every day

IP Logged

Binary

Serious Business

WA
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 11:09pm

I agree with your previous point. A lot of businesses profit off ignorance or stupidity.
Luckily people are becoming more aware of the need to have a healthy diet.

If we were to block any business or company we consider unethical however may ultimately restrict us.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 11:13pm

I think you two are a bit hard on people.

Perhaps almost everyone is 'addicted' to something?

A Good movie, a good meal, a bike ride, visiting other countries.

See, addictions need not be bad.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Binary

Serious Business

WA
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 11:32pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 25th, 2016 at 11:13pm:

I don't think those are addictions  Grin If you mean that everyone has their vice some believe that's true.
It all depends on how much is enough.
Drinking enough soft drinks every day will rot your teeth and expand your waist in months.
"At least I dont smoke." They will say. Though that hardly changes anything.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 11:35pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 25th, 2016 at 11:13pm:

Which is precisely my point .. Smiley  Thank you Sprintcyclist.

I'm not condemning addiction... I say everyone is an addict of some sort.. it is , I would think, a common human trait to seek help in 'drugs' , which would differ depending on the disease.
Why some drugs are criminal, and create a whole strata of society by being so, mystifies me. It simply makes no sense.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:22am

why are some addictions criminal, and some not.?

Perhaps the answer is....  follow the dollar.! The worst basis on which to manage substances in our society is it not?  -- divide and conquer, the aim?  All we are doing is creating harm to our own people..

This should never have become a war. 

live every day

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2016 at 4:47am

Emma wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 2:22am:
why are some addictions criminal, and some not.?

Perhaps the answer is....  follow the dollar.! The worst basis on which to manage substances in our society is it not?  -- divide and conquer, the aim?  All we are doing is creating harm to our own people..

This should never have become a war. 

X2

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 11:14pm

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 11:14pm

04-xBGpFke.jpg (115 KB | 39 )
04-xBGpFke.jpg

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 11:20pm

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:13am

This place has not attracted less stupid folk since I stopped frequenting it, I see. Hi sprint, I do not mean you, I've always thought you were a kindly intentioned person, just woefully naive in your choice of make believe friends. I've just checked in to see if any here are making any cogent arguments why we need to strongly resist Islamisation in our country, without being loony racist neo nazi style morons, aka Hanson supporters. I will have a look around to see, hello all.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2018 at 10:25am

This Topic was moved here from Drug Policy by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print