Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Increasing the RAM
Apr 3rd, 2016 at 3:35pm

link

and ...

link

My motherboard is numbered as D33C98.

I can only see two rack slots in there where I have a 2GB and another 2GB RAM rack.

If I get a couple of 4GB RAM racks I suppose this will mean dumping the two 2GB racks.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Increasing the RAM
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 4:22pm

Haven't we been here before with you Herbert?

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 4:29pm

Yes we have I think Aussie!!

Links are a bit useless Herb.

Dont you have a handbook for the motherboard. (Even the Indians usually give you that)

Too many images all different.

What processor is it Intel i7, i5, Pentuim2 ? AMD?

I assume you are suggesting you have two slots with 2Gb Ram is each.

We need to know the processor/motherboard specs to see if it will take 2 x 4gb

What type of RAM is currently installed

Personally I would chuck it on the tip and start again
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2016 at 4:37pm by Redmond Neck »  

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:27pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 3:35pm:
link

and ...

link

I can only see two rack slots in there where I have a 2GB and another 2GB RAM rack.

If I get a couple of 4GB RAM racks I suppose this will mean dumping the two 2GB racks.

If you've got 4 Gb of RAM and are still in trouble - it's something else.  It also could be that your motherboard does not recognise the 2 Gb or is only 'seeing' one of them - though 2 Gb used to work fine for me.  Sometimes those racks mean you can only put one of a kind in, and the other rack will only recognise another kind, and they won't work together.  Are they the same fitting with the racks side-by-side?

Have you done all the housekeeping things like disc clean-up, defrag, cache to zero, and having your security do a scan to see if there are issues?  Go to control panel, system security and look for disc cleanup and de-frag for a start.

What system are you using?  I'm on Windows 8 in preference to 10, which has glooblies I don't like.  If you can go to Start, left hand bottom, or bring up your 'charms' by putting your mouse in the lower right hand corner, then clicking on the gear charm, you should find control panel there somewhere.

If all else fails do a system restore - that will leave your files intact but restore your operation to a time past when it all worked.  Takes a while so don't panic.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:40pm

if you want to increase the size and speed of your computer then

BUY ANOTHER ONE...

simples...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:49pm

here you go Herb, keep blowing until you get the size you want

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 8:02pm

Be a hit in New Zealand and some Middle East countries....

Why do New Zealanders call their sheep Artie?  Come, Artie, Come Artie.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 3:34am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:40pm:

BUY ANOTHER ONE...

simples...

That is what I do. I have played before however you really need to know what you are doing and have the luxury of time to deal with a machine causing problems when things don't work out. Also a major risk of losing work with unexpected crashes or corruption has to be acceptable.

I expect Herbert likes to play and learn. That is OK too.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:35am

Super Nova wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 3:34am:

BUY ANOTHER ONE...

simples...

That is what I do. I have played before however you really need to know what you are doing and have the luxury of time to deal with a machine causing problems when things don't work out. Also a major risk of losing work with unexpected crashes or corruption has to be acceptable.

I have never used the computer for any sort of 'gaming', but there are times when I'm doing several things at once with the PC - and then a notice pops up on the screen that tells me there's NOT ENOUGH MEMORY - and too bad if I'm stuck with an hour's work that I'm in the middle of and is all going to be lost because there isn't even enough MEMORY to save it to a file.

And so I have to run through CCleaner and other space-making deletions before rebooting, after which I've got to start my work all over again. Couldn't even save it to a flash drive in the USB.

I've got 2 x 2GB of RAM racks in the 2 slots available on my motherboard (D33C98) - and I've been delaying the switch over to 2 x 4GB of RAM because I'm looking for somewhere to sell the two redundant RAM racks that are installed now.

I would have it all changed over at the local computer shop, except they always say ... "Oh, you don't need that, mate. What you've got there is all you need .. etc etc".

They ALWAYS argue. They NEVER say - "Okay buddy! We'll have that fixed for you in no time. Go and have a coffee somewhere, and when you come back it will be ready for you to collect".

"Want 2 x 4GB of RAM instead of your current 2 x 2GB? NO PROBLEMO! Be back in 1/2 an hour and it'll be ready for you - and thank you for your custom, sir!".

WAAAAY too easy.

Instead, they put me through an interrogation process that hints at 'Water-boarding' if I give them any 'attitude' - until in the end I'm backing out the door, telling them ... "Yes, you're right, guys! How silly of me to want that extra something put into the PC! Pardon meeeeeee ... What would an Old Fart like me need with something like THAT?! Huh? Sorry for wasting your time!"

Jesus Christ. No wonder I get migraines.

What ever happened to "The customer is always right"?

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:52am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:44am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:27pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 3:35pm:
link

and ...

link

If you've got 4 Gb of RAM and are still in trouble - it's something else.  It also could be that your motherboard does not recognise the 2 Gb or is only 'seeing' one of them - though 2 Gb used to work fine for me.  Sometimes those racks mean you can only put one of a kind in, and the other rack will only recognise another kind, and they won't work together.  Are they the same fitting with the racks side-by-side?

Have you done all the housekeeping things like disc clean-up, defrag, cache to zero, and having your security do a scan to see if there are issues?  Go to control panel, system security and look for disc cleanup and de-frag for a start.

What system are you using?  I'm on Windows 8 in preference to 10, which has glooblies I don't like.  If you can go to Start, left hand bottom, or bring up your 'charms' by putting your mouse in the lower right hand corner, then clicking on the gear charm, you should find control panel there somewhere.

If all else fails do a system restore - that will leave your files intact but restore your operation to a time past when it all worked.  Takes a while so don't panic.

Thanks for your time-and-effort with this well-thought-out reply Grappler.

I want 2 x 4GB of RAM - no excuses, no 'buts-and-ifs', no 'workarounds', no sliding away into other issues, no RESISTANCE to the idea.

De-fragging, disc wipe-overs, cache to zero, etc are all BAND-AID solutions to not having enough RAM.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:45am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:35am:

BUY ANOTHER ONE...

simples...

I have never used the computer for any sort of 'gaming', but there are times when I'm doing several things at once with the PC - and then a notice pops up on the screen that tells me there's NOT ENOUGH MEMORY - and too bad if I'm stuck with an hour's work that I'm in the middle of and is all going to be lost because there isn't even enough MEMORY to save it to a file.

And so I have to run through CCleaner and other space-making deletions before rebooting, after which I've got to start my work all over again. Couldn't even save it to a flash drive in the USB.

I've got 2 x 2GB of RAM racks in the 2 slots available on my motherboard (D33C98) - and I've been delaying the switch over to 2 x 4GB of RAM because I'm looking for somewhere to sell the two redundant RAM racks that are installed now.

Are you expecting them to fetch you a pretty penny?

I was going to suggest you hard waste your computer and get a refurbished PC

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:46am

wHAT PROGRAMS ARE YOU RUNNING WHEN THIS OCCURS hERB ?

farrrrrrk I hat caps lock!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:49am

GordyL wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:45am:

BUY ANOTHER ONE...

simples...

It cost a pretty penny to buy these racks and have them installed. Ebay might be the answer.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:53am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:49am:

BUY ANOTHER ONE...

simples...

It cost a pretty penny to buy these racks and have them installed. Ebay might be the answer.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Fair enough. What a pity I just curbed my old PC at the weekend. I'd have gladly posted you the RAM Smiley
I needed something much faster.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:55am

Also do you have a solid state drive as your boot?
If you want to get a few more years out of an old PC take it to a shop that will do what the bugger you tell them, and get a SSD and more RAM and your PC will fly.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #15 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:29pm

If you get a message "there is not enough memory" or similar, it is generally for a few reasons.

1. Not enough page file space. Systems use virtual address space now so they can page to disk to optimize the physical memory. Check your page file.
2. You really do have too much happening, but a large page file will prevent this message.
3. One of the programs you are running has a memory leak, that is, it is request memory and never releasing it. A bug. If it runs away..... kill that one by looking at the task manager. If that is the one will all your work, you a poo out of luck.
One trick if you know the program that has this problem is to save you work often and close down and restart regularly so the leak never gets to large.

More memory and SSD disks is the way to go.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:44pm

God - just buy as much RAM as your motherboard will take.
It's dirt cheap - end of story.

I have 16 GBytes of RAM.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:01pm

Super Nova wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:29pm:
If you get a message "there is not enough memory" or similar, it is generally for a few reasons.

1. Not enough page file space. Systems use virtual address space now so they can page to disk to optimize the physical memory. Check your page file.
2. You really do have too much happening, but a large page file will prevent this message.
3. One of the programs you are running has a memory leak, that is, it is request memory and never releasing it. A bug. If it runs away..... kill that one by looking at the task manager. If that is the one will all your work, you a poo out of luck.
One trick if you know the program that has this problem is to save you work often and close down and restart regularly so the leak never gets to large.

More memory and SSD disks is the way to go.

Thank you, Supa Nova. All wise advice, but I'm determined to get 8GB of RAM in my system by hook or by crook.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:08pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:44pm:
God - just buy as much RAM as your motherboard will take.
It's dirt cheap - end of story.

I have 16 GBytes of RAM.

I'm getting the impression if he spent the money on RAM he'd have to switch from expensive cat food to no name for a month.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:14pm

It's not like ordering a couple of torch batteries. You have to know exactly what RAM racks are compatible with your motherboard.

There's nothing to ordering up a couple of racks if you know what their catalogue number is.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:22pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:14pm:
It's not like ordering a couple of torch batteries. You have to know exactly what RAM racks are compatible with your motherboard.

There's nothing to ordering up a couple of racks if you know what their catalogue number is.

Just take it to a shop and tell them what you want, and get them to fire it up b4 you leave.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:35pm

GordyL wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:22pm:

Just take it to a shop and tell them what you want, and get them to fire it up b4 you leave.

So-called 'labour costs' are prohibitive. You obviously haven't darkened the door of a Computer Shop for some years now.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:52pm

Anyone want to tell me what this means?

My OS (C:) has 803 GB free of 920GB.

My HP. Recovery (D:) has 1.33 GB free of 10.9 GB.

I have no idea.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:58pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:35pm:
GordyL wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:22pm:

So-called 'labour costs' are prohibitive. You obviously haven't darkened the door of a Computer Shop for some years now.

My old box had a few failures last year and honestly didn't even look at the labour price.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:06pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:52pm:

I have no idea.

Good questions, Aussie.

Your OS = Operating System = Central Processor = hard disc (or hard drive) has hardly been used. Only 117GB of your usable disc capacity of 920GB has been used.

You've had a crash.

Check this out: link

Always glad to help the newbies.   Cool

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:10pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:06pm:

I have no idea.

Good questions, Aussie.

Your OS = Operating System = Central Processor = hard disc (or hard drive) has hardly been used. Only 117GB of your usable disc capacity of 920GB has been used.

You've had a crash.

And WTF does any of that mean?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:12pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:10pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:06pm:

I have no idea.

Good questions, Aussie.

You've had a crash.

And WTF does any of that mean?

I'll get back to you shortly, but first I've got to see a man about a dog.   Cool

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #27 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:18pm

Are you running a 64 bit o/s if not 4G is the max your system can address anyway.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:28pm

I have no idea.

You c drive is the only one of interest and it has a lot of free space so it is not causing any problems.

The HP recovery drive is a HP space which can be used to restory your system to its original new set up if the system fails. You lose everything added on the o/s drive.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #29 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 11:02pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:18pm:
Are you running a 64 bit o/s if not 4G is the max your system can address anyway.

4 Gig in theory -  32 bit systems can actually only use 3 Gig.

Buy a 64 bit computer - they're cheap.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #30 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 11:44pm

Excellent point.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 4:55am

Yes ... mine's a 64bit o/s PC.

The fans I have ventilating the PC are a joke. The guy at the Computer Shop told me he put an extra fan in for me - buy it makes a roaring sound if I'm burning a disc, or even on some websites.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #32 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:03am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 4:55am:

The fans I have ventilating the PC are a joke. The guy at the Computer Shop told me he put an extra fan in for me - buy it makes a roaring sound if I'm burning a disc, or even on some websites.

It's a cheep one. The quite ones cost more.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:38am

Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:03am:

I regularly clean my PC with an air-brush, but the racket those extraction fans make is really a cause for concern.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #34 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 7:38am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:38am:
Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:03am:

I regularly clean my PC with an air-brush, but the racket those extraction fans make is really a cause for concern.

You need a solid PC frame. Need quality low noise fans. Need to put PC on a piece of carpet or mat.

Need to wear headphones and play geek music.... or use a white noise site.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 8:00am

Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 7:38am:
You need a solid PC frame. Need quality low noise fans. Need to put PC on a piece of carpet or mat.

Need to wear headphones and play geek music.... or use a white noise site.  Smiley

Grin

The PC is quiet when I'm not doing much else except posting love letters to Muslims on OzPolitic, but if I burn a disc or start sourcing news services from abroad - then the noise of the fans slowly rises to the pitch of a Banshee screaming enough to deafen a ... a ...

I'm beginning to think a totally new high quality PC that REALLY delivers and can kick ASS might be the Final Solution.  I wonder if there are any Trade In places like we used to have in The Good Old Days.

To hell with the expence - I'll use my plastic card.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:27pm

The fellow at the computer shop wanted to know if my RAM system is DDR3 or DDR2.

Unfortunately it's DDR2 - which he said was horrendously expensive if I wanted him to fit in 2 x 4GB racks.

He said DDR3 is WAY cheaper.

So that's that.

Goodbye Charlie.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #37 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 11:40am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:27pm:
The fellow at the computer shop wanted to know if my RAM system is DDR3 or DDR2.

Unfortunately it's DDR2 - which he said was horrendously expensive if I wanted him to fit in 2 x 4GB racks.

So that's that.

Goodbye Charlie.

Try putting the RAM into google.   I always buy online.   Here is one place I shop.  If you know your motherboard details, they can assist over the phone

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/ramcity-4gb-pc2-5300-ecc-fully-buffered-240-pin-f...

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 9:04pm

Vic wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 11:40am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:27pm:

So that's that.

Goodbye Charlie.

Try putting the RAM into google.   I always buy online.   Here is one place I shop.  If you know your motherboard details, they can assist over the phone

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/ramcity-4gb-pc2-5300-ecc-fully-buffered-240-pin-f...

Thanks for that, BigFella - but for now it's academic. A couple of hours ago my computer crashed and I couldn't get it going again. I'm using by back-up PC now.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #39 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 11:25am

Herbert,

have you had the power supply for your PC checked? It may need to be replaced or upgraded.

I recently had to remove the graphics card from a friend's PC and run it with the motherboard onboard graphics. I installed the graphics card for him a few years ago and it ran fine until a few months back then he started getting weird problems and shutdowns until I removed the graphics card (and the card checked out OK).

It seems that the power supply was 'getting old' and it eventually couldn't cope with the demand from the PC.

Oh, and if you do get a shutdown caused by the power supply, you'll probably find you can't restart the PC by pushing the button on the tower - you need to disconnect the power completely for (preferably) 10 seconds or more by switching the PC off at the wall switch (or the switch on the power supply at the back of the PC if it has one).

Must be some sort of overload sensor in the power supply that's only reset by disconnecting the power completely.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:44pm

I have been having a few issues with my computer. But, increasing the RAM only helped somewhat. I should have gone from 8GB of RAM to 16, not 12. But, that would have delayed the inevitable. The computer has been running okay. But, slower than I am accustomed. Pages either crash or freeze for a minute.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 1:48am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:44pm:
I have been having a few issues with my computer. But, increasing the RAM only helped somewhat. I should have gone from 8GB of RAM to 16, not 12. But, that would have delayed the inevitable. The computer has been running okay. But, slower than I am accustomed. Pages either crash or freeze for a minute.

https://www.ccleaner.com/
Work well for me, esp do a registry scan.

I use the free version, do that and a
https://filehippo.com/download_defraggler/ every now and then,

good luck

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:14am

Download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com  it is FREE

Install it and run it and it will tell you what your motherboard is, what your cpu is, what your memory is, etc

Then go to Google and enter your motherboard type and look for something like manual or memory etc and you will find the info you require.

Take particular note of the memory type eg here it is DDR4.

Motherboard details

Memory type
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:21am by juliar »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #43 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 3:14am

Seems that I just need a larger hard drive. It is what has been slowing the computer.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 5:20am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 3:14am:
Seems that I just need a larger hard drive. It is what has been slowing the computer.

that is rare. How much spare space is on it?
tried degragging it?

https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler

or cleaning up the registry?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #45 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:12am

juliar wrote on Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:14am:
Download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com  it is FREE

Install it and run it and it will tell you what your motherboard is, what your cpu is, what your memory is, etc

Then go to Google and enter your motherboard type and look for something like manual or memory etc and you will find the info you require.

Take particular note of the memory type eg here it is DDR4.

Motherboard details
https://i.postimg.cc/8PMSLSrC/Capturecpuz.png

Memory type
https://i.postimg.cc/yxGwcf7c/Capturecpu.png

Or you could right click on my computer and click properties

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 4:56pm

Rocky,

Your machine is not getting too hot by any chance ? Ventilation blocked by fluff etc ?

Windows 10 needs grunt in the motherboard and in the CPU and lots of memory.

How old is your motherboard and how slow is your CPU and how much memory have you got ?

It is easy to replace your motherboard and CPU and memory.

You can buy all this stuff from Ebay. Get the fastest of everything that you can afford.

Just make sure you get the correct size motherboard otherwise you might have trouble fitting it into your case.

And make sure the new CPU and new memory are compatible with the new motherboard.

And while you are at it get a solid state C drive as these are nice and quick.

To switch over make a Windows 10 backup and this can then be reloaded. Also make a Windows 10 boot disk.

Microsoft will then complain you are running on new hardware and you have to tell Microsoft you have upgraded your hardware.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 5:03pm

Sir s,
yes but you have to find the right thing to click etc. If you can remember where it is.

For an inexperienced user the CPU-Z has everything all at once without any searching and provides lots more info. And it is free!!!!  And has NO spyware or virus.

I don't think the Windows 10 shows the type of memory eg DDR4 whereas CPU-Z does.

The type of memory MUST fit the motherboard otherwise it simply won't work.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2019 at 6:05pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #48 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 2:21am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 5:20am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 3:14am:

that is rare. How much spare space is on it?
tried degragging it?

https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler

or cleaning up the registry?

I did that the other night. Seemed to eat up space. I went from having 20Gb of space to 18Gb of space in the time that I did a full defrag.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 7:58am

Rocky,

it is very risky using some defragger from the web as it may contain hostile spyware especially if it is free.

The Windows 10 disk maintenance does everything safely.

In File Explorer just right click on the disk eg C and go to properties and go to tools and check and optimize your disk.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #50 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 7:38am

juliar wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 7:58am:
Rocky,

it is very risky using some defragger from the web as it may contain hostile spyware especially if it is free.

The Windows 10 disk maintenance does everything safely.

In File Explorer just right click on the disk eg C and go to properties and go to tools and check and optimize your disk.

Something happened last night. After doing a disk clean up, I had about 10Gb of rubbish on my computer. Took 10 minutes to delete off the system. Now the computer is running more smoothly. Had some issues last night. But, the computer is going fine.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 10:25am

Good on you.

Make sure you do frequent virus and spyware checks. Spyware is very hazardous as it can copy your keystrokes and send them to a hacker.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #52 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 12:00am

Having to delete computer programs off my computer that I have recently installed in the last 2 weeks. I am going to have to admit that even in the last 20 years, I am somewhat incomputerate for someone with this much computing experience.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 1:34pm

Rocky,
if you are using Windows 10, the latest, then go to the menu bar at the bottom of the screen and click on the last icon on the right and it will tell you what, if anything, is wrong.

Also do you get the updates from Microsoft as these fix various things ?

If you go to Settings and then Update & Security and then Windows Update you can see if you have the latest Windows 10 Updates from Microsoft.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 2:03pm

Or, get yourself a Chromebook.

No viruses, and ten times (at least) faster than Windows.

Smiley

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 2:33pm

Gweggy the OFF TOPIC SPAM VIRUS from WA reckons RAM is a Merino!!!!!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 2:40pm

juliar wrote on Aug 22nd, 2019 at 2:33pm:
Gweggy the OFF TOPIC SPAM VIRUS from WA reckons RAM is a Merino!!!!!

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 8:24pm

Gweggy sings Baa Baa black sheep have you any wool ?

ChromeBook is just a cheap Google browser full of Google tracking and ads. But it certainly would suit simple unsophisticated Gweggy.

Gweggy does it contain a Merino RAM ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print