Send Topic Print
Increasing the RAM (Read 4842 times)
Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Re: Increasing the RAM
Reply #30 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 11:44pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:18pm:
Are you running a 64 bit o/s if not 4G is the max your system can address anyway.

Excellent point.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 4:55am

Are you running a 64 bit o/s if not 4G is the max your system can address anyway.

Yes ... mine's a 64bit o/s PC.

The fans I have ventilating the PC are a joke. The guy at the Computer Shop told me he put an extra fan in for me - buy it makes a roaring sound if I'm burning a disc, or even on some websites.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #32 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:03am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 4:55am:

The fans I have ventilating the PC are a joke. The guy at the Computer Shop told me he put an extra fan in for me - buy it makes a roaring sound if I'm burning a disc, or even on some websites.

It's a cheep one. The quite ones cost more.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:38am

Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:03am:

I regularly clean my PC with an air-brush, but the racket those extraction fans make is really a cause for concern.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #34 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 7:38am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:38am:
Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:03am:

I regularly clean my PC with an air-brush, but the racket those extraction fans make is really a cause for concern.

You need a solid PC frame. Need quality low noise fans. Need to put PC on a piece of carpet or mat.

Need to wear headphones and play geek music.... or use a white noise site.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 8:00am

Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2016 at 7:38am:
You need a solid PC frame. Need quality low noise fans. Need to put PC on a piece of carpet or mat.

Need to wear headphones and play geek music.... or use a white noise site.  Smiley

Grin

The PC is quiet when I'm not doing much else except posting love letters to Muslims on OzPolitic, but if I burn a disc or start sourcing news services from abroad - then the noise of the fans slowly rises to the pitch of a Banshee screaming enough to deafen a ... a ...

I'm beginning to think a totally new high quality PC that REALLY delivers and can kick ASS might be the Final Solution.  I wonder if there are any Trade In places like we used to have in The Good Old Days.

To hell with the expence - I'll use my plastic card.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:27pm

The fellow at the computer shop wanted to know if my RAM system is DDR3 or DDR2.

Unfortunately it's DDR2 - which he said was horrendously expensive if I wanted him to fit in 2 x 4GB racks.

He said DDR3 is WAY cheaper.

So that's that.

Goodbye Charlie.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #37 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 11:40am

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:27pm:
The fellow at the computer shop wanted to know if my RAM system is DDR3 or DDR2.

Unfortunately it's DDR2 - which he said was horrendously expensive if I wanted him to fit in 2 x 4GB racks.

So that's that.

Goodbye Charlie.

Try putting the RAM into google.   I always buy online.   Here is one place I shop.  If you know your motherboard details, they can assist over the phone

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/ramcity-4gb-pc2-5300-ecc-fully-buffered-240-pin-f...

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 9:04pm

Vic wrote on Apr 17th, 2016 at 11:40am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:27pm:

So that's that.

Goodbye Charlie.

Try putting the RAM into google.   I always buy online.   Here is one place I shop.  If you know your motherboard details, they can assist over the phone

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/ramcity-4gb-pc2-5300-ecc-fully-buffered-240-pin-f...

Thanks for that, BigFella - but for now it's academic. A couple of hours ago my computer crashed and I couldn't get it going again. I'm using by back-up PC now.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #39 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 11:25am

Herbert,

have you had the power supply for your PC checked? It may need to be replaced or upgraded.

I recently had to remove the graphics card from a friend's PC and run it with the motherboard onboard graphics. I installed the graphics card for him a few years ago and it ran fine until a few months back then he started getting weird problems and shutdowns until I removed the graphics card (and the card checked out OK).

It seems that the power supply was 'getting old' and it eventually couldn't cope with the demand from the PC.

Oh, and if you do get a shutdown caused by the power supply, you'll probably find you can't restart the PC by pushing the button on the tower - you need to disconnect the power completely for (preferably) 10 seconds or more by switching the PC off at the wall switch (or the switch on the power supply at the back of the PC if it has one).

Must be some sort of overload sensor in the power supply that's only reset by disconnecting the power completely.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:44pm

I have been having a few issues with my computer. But, increasing the RAM only helped somewhat. I should have gone from 8GB of RAM to 16, not 12. But, that would have delayed the inevitable. The computer has been running okay. But, slower than I am accustomed. Pages either crash or freeze for a minute.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 1:48am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:44pm:
I have been having a few issues with my computer. But, increasing the RAM only helped somewhat. I should have gone from 8GB of RAM to 16, not 12. But, that would have delayed the inevitable. The computer has been running okay. But, slower than I am accustomed. Pages either crash or freeze for a minute.

https://www.ccleaner.com/
Work well for me, esp do a registry scan.

I use the free version, do that and a
https://filehippo.com/download_defraggler/ every now and then,

good luck

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:14am

Download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com  it is FREE

Install it and run it and it will tell you what your motherboard is, what your cpu is, what your memory is, etc

Then go to Google and enter your motherboard type and look for something like manual or memory etc and you will find the info you require.

Take particular note of the memory type eg here it is DDR4.

Motherboard details

Memory type
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:21am by juliar »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #43 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 3:14am

Seems that I just need a larger hard drive. It is what has been slowing the computer.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 5:20am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 3:14am:
Seems that I just need a larger hard drive. It is what has been slowing the computer.

that is rare. How much spare space is on it?
tried degragging it?

https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler

or cleaning up the registry?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print